Scoring the biggest single of her career got be asking about Rihanna and King Bey...

King Baby

25 members have voted

1. 1. Has Rihanna snatched Beyonce's lace front to becoming the new King of pop and R&b?

• yes
    • No
    • They are at about the same level now.

Rihanna is at the level of superstardom that Bey was at with her debut when Bey could do no wrong and the sun was shining out of her ass crack. I think after this Rih seriously needs to take a break...she's close to bordering on overexposure right now which lost Bey a lot of fans.

The media is starting to say Rihanna is the new King of female pop and r&b...

What do you think?

I aint heard not nan media outlet call rihanna king of a damn thing. :rolleyes:

She's had a great run at radio but so has Katy Perry. Bey kinda started calling herself the queen/king. But none of these ladies are in a position to be claiming titles.

MTV has spoken...Rihanna has defeated King Beyonce...

:filenails: :filenails: :filenails: :filenails:

It was a showdown between two queens of pop — Rihanna and Beyoncé — each vying for a prime spot on MTV's Best Artists of 2011 list. RiRi wound up besting Lady B by a slim margin. But how did she come out on top?

MTV correspondent Sway Calloway moderated a spirited roundtable discussion with some of our very own experts: James Montgomery and Rob Markman (MTV News), Yomi Desalu and Malika Quemerais (MTV Music and Talent) and Tamar Anitai and Nicole James (MTV.com). The panel discussed the artists who ruled 2011, from the Throne and Lil Wayne to Justin Bieber and Lady Gaga. It was during that debate that Beyoncé and Rihanna met in a battle for the #6 position. In the end, Rihanna prevailed, with B taking #7.

"I love Rihanna," Montgomery said. "I think she is the kind of artist that I really like as a pop star who makes really cool, controversial videos and pushes the envelope in every conceivable way."

"She hustled so hard," Anitai added.

After all, Rih did have us buzzing about songs off two albums in 2011. New hits popping from 2010's Loud — including a remix of "S&M" with the one-and-only Britney Spears — ruled the charts in the first half of '11. While some artists would just ride the momentum of that smash album, Rih went back into the studio mid-tour and cranked out Talk That Talk. The first single off TTT, "We Found Love," was a certified dance-pop classic from the minute it hit.

See where "We Found Love" placed on MTV's Best Songs of 2011 countdown!

It was a tough decision for our experts because Knowles had such a remarkable year. Her album 4 — a collection of soulful ballads and mid-tempo tracks tempered with a deep nostalgic streak — was arguably her most mature yet. And she triumphed during intimate, sold-out shows at New York City's Roseland Ballroom in August. B was also responsible for this year's most talked-about (and tweeted about) pop-culture moment, announcing her pregnancy to the world right on our VMA stage.

But it was Rihanna's ability to rule for 365 days straight that was the deciding factor.

"It's very rare that you see an artist that's there, that is consistently there throughout the year that people don't get sick of," Quemerais observed. "I feel like the appetite for Rihanna is constant."

"If you were to go numbers by numbers, Rihanna can go toe-to-toe with anyone on our list," Montgomery reinforced. "She never gets the credit that she deserves."

She certainly got the credit here.

MTV has spoken...Rihanna has defeated King Beyonce...

:filenails: :filenails: :filenails: :filenails:

It was a showdown between two queens of pop — Rihanna and Beyoncé — each vying for a prime spot on MTV's Best Artists of 2011 list. RiRi wound up besting Lady B by a slim margin. But how did she come out on top?

MTV correspondent Sway Calloway moderated a spirited roundtable discussion with some of our very own experts: James Montgomery and Rob Markman (MTV News), Yomi Desalu and Malika Quemerais (MTV Music and Talent) and Tamar Anitai and Nicole James (MTV.com). The panel discussed the artists who ruled 2011, from the Throne and Lil Wayne to Justin Bieber and Lady Gaga. It was during that debate that Beyoncé and Rihanna met in a battle for the #6 position. In the end, Rihanna prevailed, with B taking #7.

"I love Rihanna," Montgomery said. "I think she is the kind of artist that I really like as a pop star who makes really cool, controversial videos and pushes the envelope in every conceivable way."

"She hustled so hard," Anitai added.

After all, Rih did have us buzzing about songs off two albums in 2011. New hits popping from 2010's Loud — including a remix of "S&M" with the one-and-only Britney Spears — ruled the charts in the first half of '11. While some artists would just ride the momentum of that smash album, Rih went back into the studio mid-tour and cranked out Talk That Talk. The first single off TTT, "We Found Love," was a certified dance-pop classic from the minute it hit.

See where "We Found Love" placed on MTV's Best Songs of 2011 countdown!

It was a tough decision for our experts because Knowles had such a remarkable year. Her album 4 — a collection of soulful ballads and mid-tempo tracks tempered with a deep nostalgic streak — was arguably her most mature yet. And she triumphed during intimate, sold-out shows at New York City's Roseland Ballroom in August. B was also responsible for this year's most talked-about (and tweeted about) pop-culture moment, announcing her pregnancy to the world right on our VMA stage.

But it was Rihanna's ability to rule for 365 days straight that was the deciding factor.

"It's very rare that you see an artist that's there, that is consistently there throughout the year that people don't get sick of," Quemerais observed. "I feel like the appetite for Rihanna is constant."

"If you were to go numbers by numbers, Rihanna can go toe-to-toe with anyone on our list," Montgomery reinforced. "She never gets the credit that she deserves."

She certainly got the credit here.

Her outranking bey on this list is logical because she had a way better year than bey. And she has the album of the year grammy nomination to prove it.

Rihanna is massively successful but it's mostly good timing and style that Rihanna has in her corner. She could evolve into someone as interesting as Madonna, she's still so young so I'm not ruling that out. But in order to top Beyonce she has to do that.

Beyonce is on a different level plain and simple.

I actually think career wise its not safe to say the Beyonce's albums have been more cohesive or even she takes more risk than Rihanna. Rihanna GOES there. "We Found Love" is very daring and artistic as was all of "Rated R"..."Russian Roulette" and "Man Down" were edgy. Beyonce just does love songs, and male bashing songs which TLC, Janet, Salt & Pepa and a horde of others have done over the year better.

I have never heard a love song from the perspective of "We Found Love" especially when you add the theme from the video in it. Do you know how many millions of addict find love with other addict through drugs and their similar addictions? Really dope concept. Far edgier than anything Beyonce had done in her entire career.

The only other person who can go there as conviencingly is P!nk with songs like "Please Don't Leave Me"... Rihanna and P!nk are probably the edgiest pop stars of their generation. :filenails:

I see the Rolling Stone article wasn't read by many of you. :sigh:

In any event, Rihanna has never been, and will never be, the Queen/King/Duke/etc of any musical genre. Those titles are held in a regard that transcends how many #1s you can obtain or how many albums you sell. Surely those are ingredients in assuming the throne, but they're not the end all of the title. Both of them have hits and sales, Beyonce has more. Beyonce's impact and influence far supersedes that of Rihanna's (keep in mind Rihanna EXISTS BECAUSE of Beyonce). Beyonce has established herself as the premier act of her generation, the future legend, and ranking amongst the legends of yesteryear regardless of the opinions of the naysayers. Strip Rihanna of her chart stats and she is nothing. Rihanna is barely where Beyonce was with Survivor.

So no, Rihanna has not eclipsed Beysus.

So I guess the music you hear at a state fair is daring and artistic too since "WFL" sounds just like fair music.

Thats the great part about it...Its a very dark topic that plays off a joyeous/fun type of beat. The music is wild and free but the lyrics speak of "a hopeless place"...Thats how it feels. :cheers:

Thats the great part about it...Its a very dark topic that plays off a joyeous/fun type of beat. The music is wild and free but the lyrics speak of "a hopeless place"...Thats how it feels. :cheers:

No, it feels like a song you would play for lil kids to hype them up about going to a fair with easily forgotten verses. :cheers:

Archived