"SO CALLED SINGER": Best vocal performance from a singer who's vocal talent is questionable (ROUND 2)

LyricalLesson

So Called Singer:

CHRIS BROWN

Best Vocal Performance:

"No Air"

w/ Jordin Sparks (on Jordin Sparks debut album)

About 90% of the time I don't find Chris Brown's vocal appealing in any way. HOWEVER, I give credit where credit is due -- The best I have EVER heard him sound was on the 2007 Jordin Sparks duet "No Air". Jordin has a big voice and she shines so bright on this track...but surprisingly, Chris Brown's more limited vocal holds up better than ever on this pairing. The slick and sly, yet effective presence of ample reverb was fantastically used -- though reverb is indeed a vocal enhancer, his base vocal without it would have been solid. With it, his vocal became extremely potent, more substantial, and a surprising highlight. Studio trickery helped a bit, but Chris came hard with his impressively long held notes, nice harmonization, and top notch adlibs. "She's No You" and "Take You Down" are other vocal highlights of Mr. Brown -- but neither come close to "No Air".

It's not that he can't sing, but rather he needs a vocal coach to help him re-learn how to sing to his potential. That tends to happen when male singers reach puberty and their voices get deeper.

I'm not necessarily saying he can't sing persé, I'm just listing singers who's talent seems to generate an equal -- or not so equal -- amount of polarizing opinions. I don't particularly enjoy Chris' vocals...pre or post puberty, but I'm sure there are some who do.

Chris can sing, so this thread is simply not accurate. :filenails:

Subjective. Because I don't think his voice is anything to write home about...by any means. In fact, most of the other R&B dudes out within the past few years are more vocally gifted in comparison, IMO. Usher, Jon B., Miguel, Lloyd, Ne-Yo, Jason Derulo, Bobby Valentino, J. Valentine etc.

I'd rather see his 10 incher dancing tbqh.

But one of the songs I enjoyed was "Yo(Excuse me miss)".

I enjoyed his vocal on 'Fallen Angel'.....................

Otherwise I'm only here for his 'dancing' like so:

suvqc0.gif

That boy know nobody can dance better than him right now.

Archived