ALL NITE (DON'T STOP) = UNDERRATED!

Kim

It's cheese done wrong, though. I'm definitely not hearing a stronger single than 'AN(DS)'. Pop-friendly/cheesy Janet works on classics like 'All For You' and 'Escapade', but there's a reason tracks like 'Whoops Now' and 'JALW' haven't really resonated with fans and non-fans on the whole; it's just bad music. 'AN(DS)' might be half whispered, but it sizzles like only a Janet track can when all the elements align. It's like 'If 2.0'. Nothing about 'JALW' says Janet to me. Nor Dallas Austin for that matter. A stain on both their discographies.

But that's what pop radio likes. Simple songs, not too much of a melody, and something with lyrics that can be learned within a few listens. That's what AN(DS) isn't. Janet performed JALW and AN(DS) a shitload of times, and it's clear by the charts that JALW is what people liked. It charted higher outside of the US than a few of her more recent stronger singles like FB and RWU.

The year 2004 is somewhat of a blur to me. I wasn't in a good place, but I know I was at work when the SB was going on. I didn't hear anything about Janet's performance until the next day. All I know is that JALW was played regularly on the pop/rock station in Oklahoma..but once the blacklist started, they didn't play Janet at oilz. I think I may have heard "I Want You" on rnb radio a few times..I knew there was a chopped and screwed version..

I remember ew.com giving JALW a positive review..they liked the guitar and all, but I still think they shaded her. :rolleyes: I didn't know too many people that like JALW..but ANDS, a lot of non-Janet fans loved that song..I guess cuz it was dancey..and the video was HOT! I remember my friend calling me asking if I had seen the video..She was raving about it..and I seen a few dance groups copying the routine! :thumbup: ANDS was supposed to be a hit(the remix was hot in the clubs) but since she was blacklisted, we would have never known.

ANDS>>JALW

Why do people shade Coochie Now :unsure:. It's one of the better songs on janet.

:asham:

I personally enjoy it. I just don't see the comparison drawn between it and JALW.

I remember a few years back they had the Whoops Now single on the front page of iTunes. It was so random. :asham: I snatched that up though. :dance:

But that's what pop radio likes. Simple songs, not too much of a melody, and something with lyrics that can be learned within a few listens. That's what AN(DS) isn't. Janet performed JALW and AN(DS) a shitload of times, and it's clear by the charts that JALW is what people liked. It charted higher outside of the US than a few of her more recent stronger singles like FB and RWU.

Mmhmm. Not to mention the "fruit" line was perfect to sing a long and act stoopid to. :asham:

It was on its way to at least the top 10 on the Hot 100. It was the most added song after the SB. Yes, it was an event that helped increase adds and spins, but it wasn't until the radio ban that the song just suddenly died.

The year 2004 is somewhat of a blur to me. I wasn't in a good place, but I know I was at work when the SB was going on. I didn't hear anything about Janet's performance until the next day. All I know is that JALW was played regularly on the pop/rock station in Oklahoma..but once the blacklist started, they didn't play Janet at oilz. I think I may have heard "I Want You" on rnb radio a few times..I knew there was a chopped and screwed version..

I remember ew.com giving JALW a positive review..they liked the guitar and all, but I still think they shaded her. :rolleyes: I didn't know too many people that like JALW..but ANDS, a lot of non-Janet fans loved that song..I guess cuz it was dancey..and the video was HOT! I remember my friend calling me asking if I had seen the video..She was raving about it..and I seen a few dance groups copying the routine! :thumbup: ANDS was supposed to be a hit(the remix was hot in the clubs) but since she was blacklisted, we would have never known.

ANDS>>JALW

I think some urban stations tried to show Janet some love, but the R&B charts were already such a flop that with so much against her, nothing could be done at that point. -_- Flop supporting flop = 100% flop. -_-

I think some urban stations tried to show Janet some love, but the R&B charts were already such a flop that with so much against her, nothing could be done at that point. -_- Flop supporting flop = 100% flop. -_-

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Janet only had rnb support..but they didn't really support her all that much either.. -_-

The last song that played Janet alot was "Call On Me".. -_-

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Janet only had rnb support..but they didn't really support her all that much either.. -_-

The last song that played Janet alot was "Call On Me".. -_-

I was so caught off guard by that #1 on the Flop&B chart. :asham:

It's like radio missed Janet so much that they were just itching to give her another #1. That, or Jermaine called in some favours. :lol:

Yea thats what Pop radio liked.....in 2001 and maybe today, but not 04.

Actually it's really not, because like someone pointed out, JALW was EVERY where after the SB, thats why people who thought she did it on purpuse did it to promote that song, All Nite was the 3rd single it barely had a chance with next to no radio play.

Hey R&B charts & music didn't become shit till around 07. 04 was like 1 of the last years for R&B

Why do people shade Coochie Now :unsure:. It's one of the better songs on janet.

Well I agree with the 1st half of that. :lol: Yea I dont' get why it gets a bad rep, but it gets love too, alot more love than JALW gets from fans. But both songs are non-existent for non-Janet fans

I was so caught off guard by that #1 on the Flop&B chart. :asham:

It's like radio missed Janet so much that they were just itching to give her another #1. That, or Jermaine called in some favours. :lol:

No, I think people warmed to the song..Alot of my family members loved that song..I asked them to buy 20YO and they was like "I like the song, but I ain't buying the album".. <_<:asham: And I gave my cousin my 20YO cd because I had burned a copy anyway.. :asham: My auntie was like, "You know you ain't getting that back".. :asham:

And alot of people like "So Excited" too..I just don't know what the hell happened during that era..

And alot of people like "So Excited" too..I just don't know what the hell happened during that era..

1) it was a horrible song

2) Khia

3) she pushed it too long too hard.. Instead of moving on to a good song like ENJOY

4) don't get me started on ENJOY.. She needs to put that on her next record and promote it :lmao:

R&B Junkie should have been a single :filenails:

I think it's filler. Good filler, but still filler.

I spot no lies :coffee:

#Emporer_Of_Truth :thumbup:

I don't agree to lies...unless I benefit somehow :coffee:

You're about to benefit from my foot in your ass. :coffee:

I wish we were on the same page. -_- But I disagree.

I don't think you can lump Whoops Now and JALW together. The only similarities they have is that they're both upbeat pop songs.

JALW is pop perfection. It was kind of a misleading single in terms of what Damita Jo would turn out to be as a whole, which is probably why it's tacked on at the end, but it's still a hot song nonetheless.

The video could've been better though. :umm:

But we never disagree. :tear:

Oh, I'll lump it alright. "Upbeat" is not the only similarity they share. They're like close whimsical nursery rhyme cousins. The kind the rest of the family entertains simply because they have to.

It was misleading in the sense that it might give the impression that Janet Jackson makes horrible music. The fact that it's tacked on at the end and wouldn't slot comfortably ANYWHERE on the album is evidence enough that it's an ill-fitting, clunky mess. You'll notice 'Whoops Now' was given the same honorary position on janet. :whistle:

How did your laptop not just burst into flames? :mellow:

I know. That's why something as hideously simplistic as 'Call Me Maybe' can spend nine freaking weeks at number one while MUCH stronger singles occupy the lower region of the Hot 100. But I think 'JALW' fared better because, well, lead singles usually do - whether they're good or not. We as Janet fans surely must know 'AN(DS)' would've charted higher if it were the single to kick off the project. 'FB' and 'RWU' began at a disadvantage because her star had diminished considerably by 2006-2008.

• Upvote 1

Mmhmm. Not to mention the "fruit" line was perfect to sing a long and act stoopid to. :asham:

It was on its way to at least the top 10 on the Hot 100. It was the most added song after the SB. Yes, it was an event that helped increase adds and spins, but it wasn't until the radio ban that the song just suddenly died.

The chorus was catchy. I still listen to JALW every so often, and I don't quite hear what's so bad about it. It's a pop single that was on it's way to the top 10, unquestionably.

Yea thats what Pop radio liked.....in 2001 and maybe today, but not 04.

Actually it's really not, because like someone pointed out, JALW was EVERY where after the SB, thats why people who thought she did it on purpuse did it to promote that song, All Nite was the 3rd single it barely had a chance with next to no radio play.

Umm, that's what pop radio has liked since the early 2000s. :blink::lmao:

I know. That's why something as hideously simplistic as 'Call Me Maybe' can spend nine freaking weeks at number one while MUCH stronger singles occupy the lower region of the Hot 100. But I think 'JALW' fared better because, well, lead singles usually do - whether they're good or not. We as Janet fans surely must know 'AN(DS)' would've charted higher if it were the single to kick off the project. 'FB' and 'RWU' began at a disadvantage because her star had diminished considerably by 2006-2008.

CMM is a hit because it's undeniably catchy, great hooks, and the lyrics are easy to learn for the average listener. Not all lead singles are the strongest or are the surefire hit, i.e. "It's Like That" into "We Belong Together". There was hype around the album already, but had Superbowl never happened, the song would have been a hit. Would AN(DS) had been a hit? We'll never know. I don't think it would have because it's not really pop friendly.

CMM is a hit because it's undeniably catchy, great hooks, and the lyrics are easy to learn for the average listener. Not all lead singles are the strongest or are the surefire hit, i.e. "It's Like That" into "We Belong Together". There was hype around the album already, but had Superbowl never happened, the song would have been a hit. Would AN(DS) had been a hit? We'll never know. I don't think it would have because it's not really pop friendly.

I get that, but a catchy hit doesn't necessarily equal a strong(er) single, unless charts are the only goal. I'm not saying lead singles are surefire hits, I'm saying 'JALW' fared half as good as it did purely because it was a lead single, just as 'It's Like That', 'Not Myself Tonight', 'Run The World (Girls)' etc. were lucky to chart as high as they did. Audiences would've paid them absolute dust had they been secondary releases. 'AN(DS)' would've had a better chance of smashing if it were lead single, although obviously both were victims of the SB hoopla.

• Upvote 1

you're comparing Janet to an 18 year old white girl with 0 vocal talent... I don't think people like Justin Beaver and That CMM girl would have survived in 2004's style. That's just my opinion..

If the Superbowl never happened? The Superbowl is the event that got over hundreds of million people's attention...JALW made it so far based on hype...

now if Janet released a good song.. she could have rode that hype... but JALW would have flopped either way because it is what it is

1) it was a horrible song

2) Khia

3) she pushed it too long too hard.. Instead of moving on to a good song like ENJOY

4) don't get me started on ENJOY.. She needs to put that on her next record and promote it :lmao:

It wasn't a horrible song Debbie! :rolleyes:

Sadly, "Enjoy" wouldn't have faired any better..although it's the SUPERIOR song. :filenails:

It wasn't a horrible song Debbie! :rolleyes:

Sadly, "Enjoy" wouldn't have faired any better..although it's the SUPERIOR song. :filenails:

it sure wasn't horrible

*opens spot* :shifty:

Feedback was a superior single.. :filenails:

It shole was which is why people were marking the "Discipline" album Janet's comeback until L.A. decided to fuck shit up :flipoff:

I don't understand why any of these songs weren't atleast reasonable hits. They are not bad songs.

I in a way think it was the fans that stopped them being a success. When a lot of non-fans were feeling the tracks, fans turned their back on Janet, so it could never truly succeed. Then of course radio. But still, they should have done better and its a mystery why they didn't.

(IMO 'So excited' is a better song than 'Enjoy'. 'Enjoy' is annoyingly repetitive and its 2nd verse is disappointingly short. 'So excited' however is a great dance track).

I don't understand why any of these songs weren't atleast reasonable hits. They are not bad songs.

I in a way think it was the fans that stopped them being a success. When a lot of non-fans were feeling the tracks, fans turned their back on Janet, so it could never truly succeed. Then of course radio. But still, they should have done better and its a mystery why they didn't.

(IMO 'So excited' is a better song than 'Enjoy'. 'Enjoy' is annoyingly repetitive and its 2nd verse is disappointingly short. 'So excited' however is a great dance track).

:lmao: what are u smoking?! S.Ex is better than Enjoy?!