Official Thread - President Justin Timberlake - 2013 #1 Selling Album Of The Year

Rock & Roll Hall of Game

The question was general, why would a black artist doing the SAME music as Justin be placed into the R&B category?

The comparison is in Macklemore acknowledging the privilege and the role it plays in his success.

The question isn't general since Justin isn't making R&B music... He's making pop music... I can't think of any R&B musicians that have had the career JT built and earned.. Can you? No.. didn't think so... idk why you're trying to stuff him into this R&B genre when he's def' not R&B.. maybe you should listen to his music

Billboard's R&B chart accounts for all black artists... and some cross overs based on Radio play... If you don't know the history of Billboard and their naming of charts and how they work, then whats the point in having this discussion... Black artist, R&B, Pop, Rock, have made appearances on Billboard's R&B/Hip-Hop chart.. That is not JT's fault.

Macklemore is a rapper... not a pop singer/entertainer... Rap is a majority black genre which is why he "had to" "acknowledged the privilege"... Pop is not that race-specific.. so Justin doesn't have to "acknowledge the privilege" especially since he rode the Pop train since day one

The question isn't general since Justin isn't making R&B music... He's making pop music... I can't think of any R&B musicians that have had the career JT built and earned.. Can you? No.. didn't think so... idk why you're trying to stuff him into this R&B genre when he's def' not R&B.. maybe you should listen to his music

Billboard's R&B chart accounts for all black artists... and some cross overs based on Radio play... If you don't know the history of Billboard and their naming of charts and how they work, then whats the point in having this discussion... Black artist, R&B, Pop, Rock, have made appearances on Billboard's R&B/Hip-Hop chart.. That is not JT's fault.

Macklemore is a rapper... not a pop singer/entertainer... Rap is a majority black genre which is why he "had to" "acknowledged the privilege"... Pop is not that race-specific.. so Justin doesn't have to "acknowledge the privilege" especially since he rode the Pop train since day one

So if a black artist was making the same music as Justin, which you say is pop, why would that artist be placed in the R&B genre? Why would he/she be labeled an R&B artist?

I mentioned a few points back that Billboard's R&B charts were still called the "Black charts/Hot Black Singles" as recently as the late 80's. I'm asking you why would a black artist, making the same "pop" music as JT, be considered an R&B artist?

So if a black artist was making the same music as Justin, which you say is pop, why would that artist be placed in the R&B genre? Why would he/she be labeled an R&B artist?

I mentioned a few points back that Billboard's R&B charts were still called the "Black charts/Hot Black Singles" as recently as the late 80's. I'm asking you why would a black artist, making the same "pop" music as JT, be considered an R&B artist?

bc he or she is black... ie Janet Jackson, Whitney Houston, Michael Jackson... It's not something JT can't change... Which is something you seem not to get.. You're bitching about JT like he owns Billboard and makes the rules... he doesn't... sooo make another thread and rant about the race war there

bc he or she is black... ie Janet Jackson, Whitney Houston, Michael Jackson... It's not something JT can't change... Which is something you seem not to get.. You're bitching about JT like he owns Billboard and makes the rules... he doesn't... sooo make another thread and rant about the race war there

Which is an example of privilege, and is one of many ways that shows us just how the playing field still isn't level. :yep:

As I said to Bu, my point is not to blame him, or claim he needs to be the one to change things. My point has been that privilege does in fact play a role in his success, and that there is nothing wrong with acknowledging it, nor does it make him a lesser artist.

See how easy that was Gameisha? ^_^:blush:

Which is an example of privilege, and is one of many ways that shows us just how the playing field still isn't level. :yep:

As I said to Bu, my point is not to blame him, or claim he needs to be the one to change things. My point has been that privilege does in fact play a role in his success, and that there is nothing wrong with acknowledging it, nor does it make him a lesser artist.

See how easy that was Gameisha? ^_^:blush:

First off.. JT didn't need the R&B charts to make him popular... But good for him for crossing over so that everyone can enjoy her music despite skin color.. Similar to what the legends have done

So this applies to JLo too right? You know since she's not white or black... Selena? Or are you just attacking white people because you, yourself, are filled with self-hate :)

First off.. JT didn't need the R&B charts to make him popular... But good for him for crossing over so that everyone can enjoy her music despite skin color.. Similar to what the legends have done

So this applies to JLo too right? You know since she's not white or black... Selena? Or are you just attacking white people because you, yourself, are filled with self-hate :)

Of course JT didn't need the R&B charts, because he's automatically placed in the pop charts regardless of the music he releases. Why is that? Say it with me... :yep:^_^

So The experience to cure insomnia part 2 is about to open with something like 350... not too shabby but going by the really bad reviews/no hit singles can we say that it's gonna struggle to reach platinum or even sell 1.5M WW ? will it have the same fate as Yeezus who opened up with same numbers?

zoe.gif

• Upvote 1

So The experience to cure insomnia part 2 is about to open with something like 350... not too shabby but going by the really bad reviews/no hit singles can we say that it's gonna struggle to reach platinum or even sell 1.5M WW ? will it have the same fate as Yeezus who opened up with same numbers?

zoe.gif

:asham: