The TIME IS HERE!! The biggest stars in the world have come to meet up..

janetDAYZ

https://medium.com/@revrev/it-s-a-trap-tidal-and-the-common-fallacy-of-music-royalties-db479441ad58

It’s a Trap! TIDAL and the common fallacy of music royalties

It was a brilliant publicity stunt. Credit Jay with that, at least. If artists are good at one thing, it’s that.

But today’s relaunch of the lossless streaming service TIDAL was nothing more than a 15 minute parade of fame masquerading as a protest march for justice in the war on artist compensation. Jack White, Jason Aldean, Madonna, Rihanna, Daft Punk, Deadmau5, and a zillion other household names took the stage to declare their allegiance to a fledgling music service with no traction, no cashflow, and (in my opinion) sub-par software, all in the name of getting paid.

Guess what: they’re still not getting paid.

Taylor Swift’s Spotify fiasco has brought plenty of attention to the issue. It’s scary for artists to learn how many people have listened to their music, and compare to the fractional royalty statements they’re being sent. Thing is, it’s not Spotify’s fault.

It’s the labels.

See, all those artists on the stage are signed to labels. Their contracts dictate that the music they record is owned by those labels, sometimes in perpetuity. And most of those artists have publishing deals that take a chunk out of their performance and mechanical royalties.

The reason artists don’t get paid from streaming services is that they don’t own the music they record.

Spotify isn’t holding on to that money! They don’t have some Scrooge McDuck money-swimming-pool in the basement of their Manhattan digs. They are legally required to pay money to the rights holders, and they do!

And the best part is that the labels are part-owners of the streaming services. When Spotify is acquired, the labels are gonna make a boatload of money (they all have shares in the company), and not a dime is getting passed on to the artists (nor should it). But when TIDAL gets acquired, you know who’s getting paid? Jay-Z. Not some indie rock band from Cleveland.

I know that’s a lot to swallow. It’s hard to understand. How could the work of a creative individual suddenly be owned by some corporation? But that’s the game. Labels own the content, and they sell it to TIDAL and other services wholesale. And that’s who gets paid. If an artist gets anything (sometimes they do, sometimes they don’t), it’s because the deal they have with their label allows for a fraction of sales to be paid out as royalties (after they recoup their advances, of course).

If we want a war, let’s have a war. But let’s make it about unfair label contracts, and not about whether streaming services are paying out enough money.

You don’t see any labels complaining about streaming services, do you?
  • Upvote 2

https://medium.com/@revrev/it-s-a-trap-tidal-and-the-common-fallacy-of-music-royalties-db479441ad58

It’s a Trap! TIDAL and the common fallacy of music royalties

It was a brilliant publicity stunt. Credit Jay with that, at least. If artists are good at one thing, it’s that.

But today’s relaunch of the lossless streaming service TIDAL was nothing more than a 15 minute parade of fame masquerading as a protest march for justice in the war on artist compensation. Jack White, Jason Aldean, Madonna, Rihanna, Daft Punk, Deadmau5, and a zillion other household names took the stage to declare their allegiance to a fledgling music service with no traction, no cashflow, and (in my opinion) sub-par software, all in the name of getting paid.

Guess what: they’re still not getting paid.

Taylor Swift’s Spotify fiasco has brought plenty of attention to the issue. It’s scary for artists to learn how many people have listened to their music, and compare to the fractional royalty statements they’re being sent. Thing is, it’s not Spotify’s fault.

It’s the labels.

See, all those artists on the stage are signed to labels. Their contracts dictate that the music they record is owned by those labels, sometimes in perpetuity. And most of those artists have publishing deals that take a chunk out of their performance and mechanical royalties.

The reason artists don’t get paid from streaming services is that they don’t own the music they record.

Spotify isn’t holding on to that money! They don’t have some Scrooge McDuck money-swimming-pool in the basement of their Manhattan digs. They are legally required to pay money to the rights holders, and they do!

And the best part is that the labels are part-owners of the streaming services. When Spotify is acquired, the labels are gonna make a boatload of money (they all have shares in the company), and not a dime is getting passed on to the artists (nor should it). But when TIDAL gets acquired, you know who’s getting paid? Jay-Z. Not some indie rock band from Cleveland.

I know that’s a lot to swallow. It’s hard to understand. How could the work of a creative individual suddenly be owned by some corporation? But that’s the game. Labels own the content, and they sell it to TIDAL and other services wholesale. And that’s who gets paid. If an artist gets anything (sometimes they do, sometimes they don’t), it’s because the deal they have with their label allows for a fraction of sales to be paid out as royalties (after they recoup their advances, of course).

If we want a war, let’s have a war. But let’s make it about unfair label contracts, and not about whether streaming services are paying out enough money.

You don’t see any labels complaining about streaming services, do you?

Well I figured that

Y'all are really out of touch hjkgjkhgjkl.

Don't really think Tidal was meant for the gerls with Skullcandy Headphones from TJ Maxx

Bad marketing on Tidal's part tho. 

This is a luxury music service. The benefits are there. They just on't appeal to everyone. 

I don't think Tidal is trying to take down Spotify. Just offer more options. 

I hope this makes Spotify get videos & more remixes/B'sides but eh if they don't there's still Youtube. 

Maybe for the stupid consumer who would pay double the amount for "losses music" and shitty music videos that already HD enough on vevo

100% Truth, and don't forget stans willing to shell out whatever they can for anything with their faves names attached to it, no matter how dumb.

eh, if Janet had an exclusive on Tidal the gerls here would run to it.

And just cause you can't afford the premium subscription + the headphones/speakers required to enjoy it, doesn't make the ppl who do stupid. (grow up hgjgfhjkl)

Just means they have more disposable income than you

allkindsofgags.png

eh, if Janet had an exclusive on Tidal the gerls here would run to it.

And just cause you can't afford the premium subscription + the headphones/speakers required to enjoy it, doesn't make the ppl who do stupid. (grow up hgjgfhjkl)

Just means they have more disposable income than you

I doubt it. I remember some of the members (might have been members not here anymore) didn't even buy 20 YO/Discipline when it came out :filenails:

nnnn

I hope this makes Spotify get videos & more remixes/B'sides but eh if they don't there's still Youtube.

100% Truth, and don't forget stans willing to shell out whatever they can for anything with their faves names attached to it, no matter how dumb.

Who? BeyTards? Madonna fans won't even purchase her album, let alone pay 20 dollars to hear her screech on a track

:lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao: So basically "If you're smart enough to see through this, you can't afford it" that should be their logo, very fitting >_<  And last I checked that doesn't mean someone has less disposable income, it means they care about where their money go vs. wasting their money just because they can on any stupid thing

Who? BeyTards? Madonna fans won't even purchase her album, let alone pay 20 dollars to hear her screech on a track

Not just the Beytards but the Rih stans, the Nicholas stans too, hell most of the major known artists named has a ridiculous stanbase.

Im all for artists getting paid for their art/music but I have a problem with these celebrities acting like they are doing something so revolutionary. GTFOH! This is about greed. That's what this country is all about. If they truly wanted to be revolutionary then some of them should be more concerned about cultivating their music/art than their bank accounts. Then had the nerve to renew their illuminati contracts on television. Girl bye. They might as well have played 'Bitch Better Have My Money' in the background. :filenails:

• Upvote 5

:lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao: So basically "If you're smart enough to see through this, you can't afford it" that should be their logo, very fitting >_<  And last I checked that doesn't mean someone has less disposable income, it means they care about where their money go vs. wasting their money just because they can on any stupid thing

AGAIN, if you have more disposable income and you enjoy Higher Quality music, there is nothing stupid about buying the service.

Just because you rocking $20 walmart headphones with your youtube2mp3 library, don't knock the person with the Sennheisers who craves the lossless tea. 

You gotta think outside that short yellow school bus you stay on babe

triedit.png

I guess you need hooked on Phonics Bc he clearly said "not members here" but you ignored that like I'm ignoring you

I doubt it. I remember some of the members (might have been members not here anymore) didn't even buy 20 YO/Discipline when it came out :filenails:

nnnn

Convict, can YOU read??

You gerls make it so easy for me. 

TurnUp.png

AGAIN, if you have more disposable income and you enjoy Higher Quality music, there is nothing stupid about buying the service.

Just because you rocking $20 walmart headphones with your youtube2mp3 library, don't knock the person with the Sennheisers who craves the lossless tea. 

You gotta think outside that short yellow school bus you stay on babe

triedit.png

It's funny you honestly don't see how stupid what you're saying is. It's literally the equivalent of you saying "if you can afford spinners for tires,  and can appreciate their value for cars, it's not a stupid pointless buy", when it is, no matter how much or little disposable income you have, a dumb product is a dumb product regardless.

And just because you're using your parents credit cards for these accounts don't mean you can afford them 

Again who's the 1 staying getting dragged by everyone on the board?....It's you, I forgot asking you to think isn't wise, my bad it's almost like asking you to re---, Good luck getting to Highschool

I guess you need hooked on Phonics Bc he clearly said "not members here" but you ignored that like I'm ignoring you

Now you know the child is illiterate, we have the reflection of the broken inner city school system presenting itself to us. This just reminds me I feel bad for all the teenaged stans running up their credit cards on stupid shit not worth the money.

:umm: I was going for "not here anymore"

Either way Jarryl and I own multiple copies of both albums. You wouldn't know since you were still playing with Barbies at the time. Please have several seats.*goes back to ignoring you*

School the child, hell he should be there now anyway.... the skipping explains alot