Has Janet succeeded in becoming a one name Icon?

Aquaria

Let's see..

There's Janet Jackson and then there's Janet Reno..

If you were to randomly say the name "Janet" I'd be willing to bet most people over the age of 21 would automatically think of Jackson... Unless they have a relative or friend named Janet, too..

I don't really buy into the 1 Name icon thing... that's usually when you have a unique name as a public figure (Cher, Madonna, Oprah, etc). Her brother is the biggest pop star ever yet still goes by 2 names, or initials. The "Jackson" name brand is legendary in the biz so I doubt she'll ever get 1st name status. Not like it matters, though...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I don't really buy into the 1 Name icon thing... that's usually when you have a unique name as a public figure (Cher, Madonna, Oprah, etc). Her brother is the biggest pop star ever yet still goes by 2 names, or initials. The "Jackson" name brand is legendary in the biz so I doubt she'll ever get 1st name status. Not like it matters, though...

totally get what you're saying.. But idk I still feel like the name "Janet" is somewhat unique.. It's not "Sally" or "Linda" or "Maggie".. Growing up Janet was the only Janet I had ever heard of.. And then when I actually met another Janet in real life, I was thrown for a loop lol.. 

• Upvote 1

totally get what you're saying.. But idk I still feel like the name "Janet" is somewhat unique.. It's not "Sally" or "Linda" or "Maggie".. Growing up Janet was the only Janet I had ever heard of.. And then when I actually met another Janet in real life, I was thrown for a loop lol.. 

Agree. It isn't the most common name, I think if her profile were raised this past decade -- maybe. But she's too low-key imo.

It can be hard to say because we don't have data to back up any arguments and some of the young ones are especially ignorant uncultured when it comes to the people who have come before their time. I do think that, in the music context (and probably the whole world of celebrity), Janet succeeds at being recognized by just her first name.

Like others have stated though, her last name will always be a part of who she is as a celebrity, and it's part of one of her most famous quotes. If most people do need to hear her last name in order to have an idea of who she is (they probably are young or don't know much about pop culture), I don't think that detracts from her as her own artist.

• Upvote 1

Even when I'm talking to non Janet fans or people I don't know are fans of her always know who I'm referring to when I say Janet.  But then again people also identify with her as "Miss Jackson if you nasty!" So she has both as far as I'm concerned in the U.S......one singular Iconic name and one Iconic phrase that she is referred to as.  But Janet really started after the Janet album and it stuck throughout the years whenever she was promoting new albums. Even the intro to The Velvet Rope special on HBO starts with the name "JANET" on top of Madison Square Garden as well as all albums after The Velvet Rope say only Janet. 

Janet is the most famous "Janet" on the planet... so when someone says "Janet" .. she is the one you think of immediately. So I would say she has succeeded with the one name thing years ago. " Jackson "is not much of a factor as it once was at the beginning of her career. 

Edited by janetDAYZ
  • Upvote 2

I don't know but it's caused a real mess on iTunes. All the recent singles are labelled under janet and sometimes not janet jackson. So dumb. 

I think if you say pop star janet, people know. But it's quite common name, not like Madonna or Adele. I don't even know their last names. 

But to have jackson is not a bad thing. It's a legendary name, and I always think Janet Jackson sounds more legendary. We wouldn't refer to Michael Jackson as just Michael. 

• Upvote 1

Janet is the most famous "Janet" on the planet... so when someone says "Janet" .. she is the one you think of immediately. So I would say she has succeeded with the one name thing years ago. " Jackson "is not much of a factor as it once was at the beginning of her career. 

outside of the U.S that's really not the case.

If you said to people in the UK, I'm going to see Janet in concert, people would ask Jackson? To clarify.

It is not the same with - I am going to see Madonna in concert, I am going to see Britney in concert, Janet has just not established herself as a strong enough brand here.

Elsewhere in Europe you would absolutely have to specify Janet Jackson.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I don't know but it's caused a real mess on iTunes. All the recent singles are labelled under janet and sometimes not janet jackson. So dumb. 

I think if you say pop star janet, people know. But it's quite common name, not like Madonna or Adele. I don't even know their last names. 

But to have jackson is not a bad thing. It's a legendary name, and I always think Janet Jackson sounds more legendary. We wouldn't refer to Michael Jackson as just Michael. 

This is exactly what I'm referring to. There was a point where she actually shifted to just "Janet" as an artist. 

I like to include the Jackson. For some reason I prefer artists to use a proper name more than I do single-monikers. Strange, I know.

Even when I'm talking to non Janet fans or people I don't know are fans of her always know who I'm referring to when I say Janet.  But then again people also identify with her as "Miss Jackson if you nasty!" So she has both as far as I'm concerned in the U.S......one singular Iconic name and one Iconic phrase that she is referred to as.  But Janet really started after the Janet album and it stuck throughout the years whenever she was promoting new albums. Even the intro to The Velvet Rope special on HBO starts with the name "JANET" on top of Madison Square Garden as well as all albums after The Velvet Rope say only Janet. 

She included Jackson during All For Youit's on the spine of the physical album and singles.