Janet; Please don't go.

Jodienda76

You aren't Latoya Jackson.. You cannot predict the future especially with your track record. :) 

The eras keep getting stale, as Janet simply loses interest I doubt there's going to be a continuation of this era, unless Janet scraps it, and starts all over. But you can continue with your delusions of Janet not being able to give us an era, because she's poor. 

Edited by Jodienda76
  • Upvote 4

The eras keep getting stale, as Janet simply loses interest I doubt there's going to be a contuminuation of this era, unless Janet scraps it, and starts all over. But you can continue with your delusions of Janet not being able to give us an era, because she's poor. 

You're use to multi-million dollar eras and that's fine.. But you should know the difference between one and the other. 

I don't believe I asked your pessimistic opinion on Unbreakable's era. I couldn't care less if she scraps it. The album is all I needed and she didn't disappoint me. 

If you expect Janet to foot the bill for a pointless promo tour than maybe you should finally move on to something better bc unless Janet signs to a multi-billion dollar company you won't get what you want 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

You're use to multi-million dollar eras and that's fine.. But you should know the difference between one and the other. 

I don't believe I asked your pessimistic opinion on Unbreakable's era. I couldn't care less if she scraps it. The album is all I needed and she didn't disappoint me. 

If you expect Janet to foot the bill for a pointless promo tour than maybe you should finally move on to something better bc unless Janet signs to a multi-billion dollar company you won't get what you want 

Yeah, we've been down this road before. I know you believe you're Janet's accountant, and you can repeat the pathetic excuses all day. I don't buy it, and neither do you. :coffee:

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

it was her idea

Yea I see that, and I don't think most fans want to believe she played the part in her own downfall. But the issue is not what she did in my opinion it's how they responded. Janet since the VR has had some reference to her breast & whenever people would respond negatively about it she would always brush it off like, "a breast"?! I remember specifically there being a behind the scenes of the VR tour where some article wrote about her breast/piercing on one of the covers and she said "Yea those people have no lives...honestly, a breast?!" And she continued to push that envelope...shit all the way back to the iconic Rolling Stones cover. Her breast had been a centerpiece. She was team #FreeTheNipple while most of this generation was still sucking one. 

She knew what she was doing, she didn't expect or deserve the response. 

The pictures posted show clearly it was not possible for the red bra to remain. Yet to me, it seems at odds that she would make the choice to have her breast exposed at that event. Aint the SB like sacred in the US? Especially being a Jackson woman....seeing how the media treated her brother.  Just dont make sense that ANYBODY including her, would have thought "this would be good for things and i as a Jackson woman would get away with this". Yet the shock at the end seemed far from acted...

Most people tend to forget that MTV produced the Halftime show, and just a mere 5-6 months before the SB was the much talked about Madonna/Brintey/Christina kiss at the VMAs.. Right when it happened, they shoved a camera in Justin's face to get his reaction since he and Britney had recently broken up..

I believe that the SB stunt was meant to garner much of the same hype and discussion that the VMA kiss received..

And (to play devil's advocate here) regardless, no matter what anyone says, even IF she really did have a red lace bra underneath (she didn't), what was the point of Justin ripping ANYTHING off of a black woman's chest in front of 100mil people, families, children, etc?? It completely was against everything that Janet Jackson stood for in her career up to that point (women empowerment, feminism, equal rights, etc).. It was a HORRIBLE move on everyone's part who had anything to do with it.. Even if it went down without a hitch (and it did), she still would've been almost justifiably blacklisted...

the point of the stunt was to get people talking, and people spoke, and it backfired immensely!

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Most people tend to forget that MTV produced the Halftime show, and just a mere 5-6 months before the SB was the much talked about Madonna/Brintey/Christina kiss at the VMAs.. Right when it happened, they shoved a camera in Justin's face to get his reaction since he and Britney had recently broken up..

I believe that the SB stunt was meant to garner much of the same hype and discussion that the VMA kiss received..

And (to play devil's advocate here) regardless, no matter what anyone says, even IF she really did have a red lace bra underneath (she didn't), what was the point of Justin ripping ANYTHING off of a black woman's chest in front of 100mil people, families, children, etc?? It completely was against everything that Janet Jackson stood for in her career up to that point (women empowerment, feminism, equal rights, etc).. It was a HORRIBLE move on everyone's part who had anything to do with it.. Even if it went down without a hitch (and it did), she still would've been almost justifiably blacklisted...

the point of the stunt was to get people talking, and people spoke, and it backfired immensely!

Precisely...so in that case, why would she agree to do it? The Janet you just described wouldnt want to get people talking...not over her breast or anything about herself for that matter.

Edited by vibeology

Precisely...so in that case, why would she agree to do it?

at that moment in time (and even still), there was this "culture" with big national events where something BIG and memorable had to occur.. Usually meant to only spark water-cooler conversation at the office the next day and keep the topic "trending" before Twitter even existed... That's what this stunt/moment was orchestrated to be..

Why she would allow for any man to remove anything off of her body on stage at an event like that will most likely forever remain a mystery, but that precise reason alone seems to be why so many people were in complete and utter shock about it, which then turned to anger and the blacklisting of Janet Jackson nationwide...

NOBODY UNDERSTOOD WHY JANET JACKSON WOULD DO THAT!! And to make matters worse, she coyly avoided answering almost any type of question regarding the issue.. She thought she was helping the matter go away, when really she was making it far worse for herself.. I believe that if she would've been more transparent with the public about what went wrong, then things would've cleared up much quicker for Miss Jackson...

she made her bed, and she laid in it for years to come..

• Upvote 1

When I heard Janet explain what was supposed to happen regarding the red bra....I was bewildered. Especially at that time. Janet always had 3 strikes against her. She is a female, she is black, and she is a Jackson. People always say that her being a Jackson helped her immensely during her career. But it also hurt her. At that time MJ was public enemy #1. And when this happened the media lumped her right in with him. I actually heard old ass Don Imus say "Oh she looks just as ridiculous as her freak of a brother!" I was so pissed off by that comment. Because for years Janet had managed to stay above the pray. When this happened she give them the ammunition to do exactly what they wanted to do all along. It was crazy to me that months after this had happened the media was still talking about it. They acted like she had murdered somebody. It was hard for me to watch the news back then.

Edited by BlackCat1989
  • Upvote 4

at that moment in time (and even still), there was this "culture" with big national events where something BIG and memorable had to occur.. Usually meant to only spark water-cooler conversation at the office the next day and keep the topic "trending" before Twitter even existed... That's what this stunt/moment was orchestrated to be..

Why she would allow for any man to remove anything off of her body on stage at an event like that will most likely forever remain a mystery, but that precise reason alone seems to be why so many people were in complete and utter shock about it, which then turned to anger and the blacklisting of Janet Jackson nationwide...

NOBODY UNDERSTOOD WHY JANET JACKSON WOULD DO THAT!! And to make matters worse, she coyly avoided answering almost any type of question regarding the issue.. She thought she was helping the matter go away, when really she was making it far worse for herself.. I believe that if she would've been more transparent with the public about what went wrong, then things would've cleared up much quicker for Miss Jackson...

Honestly I don't think she could have said or did anything to please the public's fake outrage. You guys just don't know how racist this country can be. She was damned if did and damned if she didn't. Had it been Madonna or Britney Spears it would have been done and over with. America was essentially putting Janet back in her place.

• Upvote 3

When I heard Janet explain what was supposed to happen regarding the red bra....I was bewildered. Especially at that time. Janet always had 3 strikes against her. She is a female, she is black, and she is a Jackson. People always say that her being a Jackson helped her immensely during her career. But it also hurt her. At that time MJ was public enemy #1. And when this happened the media lumped her right in with him. I actually heard old ass Don Imus say "Oh she looks just as ridiculous as her freak of a brother!" I was so pissed off by that comment. Because for years Janet had managed to stay above the pray. When this happened she give them the ammunition to do exactly what they wanted to do all along. It was crazy to me that months after this had happened the media was still talking about it. They acted like she had murdered somebody. It was hard for me to watch the news back then.

Precisely...The show was very much a ritual and I think the powers that be had a number of agendas to fulfill....to creat distraction and news, to push an agenda of censorship, to show that a white male can whip out a black womans titty in front of millions and SHE will be the one to suffer. Its already been discussed how dark the industry can be. Janet fit the bill perfectly...the "normal" Jackson who has been scandal free for years...well, we gonna bring her down just like her brother. The backlash occurred because the powers that be within the media led it and there is NOTHING she could have said that would have mattered.

Its no wonder she dont want to be tied to any record labels. Prince himself stated its very much like slavery...you do as your told for the most part. I honestly dont think she had a choice in the matter, no matter how far fetched some of you think it is. Go ask Kesha or pre-breakdown Britney

Edited by vibeology
  • Upvote 1

Its no wonder she dont want to be tied to any record labels. Prince himself stated its very much like slavery...you do as your told for the most part. I honestly dont think she had a choice in the matter, no matter how far fetched some of you think it is. Go ask Kesha or pre-breakdown Britney

what part did she not have a choice in? Honest question (no sarcasm intended haha)

what part did she not have a choice in? Honest question (no sarcasm intended haha)

Any of it....though she may have not been led to believe the media led backlash would occur. She certainly wouldnt get the chance to say she was set up, so she had to keep quiet. Just my thoughts

I'll keep going down it until you clearly understand that Janet isn't apart of a million dollar contract anymore. 

I understood that from the beginning. It is YOU who dosen't understand that it's no excuse for such a poor era.

Edited by Jodienda76

Any of it....though she may have not been led to believe the media led backlash would occur. She certainly wouldnt get the chance to say she was set up, so she had to keep quiet. Just my thoughts

Nah... It was literally her team's idea and plan 

that may be true that she didn't come up with the idea of JT ripping bra cup off, but surely she could've vetoed it considering she had to have had to final say in what she chose to do on stage.. It's pretty apparent as she stood statue still that she knew what the plan was..

the closest she ever came to saying what was supposed to happen was to David Letterman ("...I wasn't supposed to come out of it like I did..") ...Although the stunt did actually go down the exact way it was meant to happen, albeit possibly literally one second too soon, according to the statement of the MTV director who was in charge of the halftime show.. And it was JT who said (also on Letterman) that the whole thing wasn't thought out well enough, implying that no matter what happened, it was going to be bad for them (Janet), regardless..

You say her team's plan/idea...but not hers? Well that could make sense. Makes me question exactly who everyone was "in her team".

this is my opinion, but I think Gil had a lot to do with it (if not all of it).. I just can't fathom that Justin Timberlake would say to Janet Jackson "hey you know what we should do at the end?? I will rip your top off and let people see your tit!"

But I can totally picture Gil approaching Janet and Justin and saying something like "Ya know we should end on a BANG and leave everyone speechless and wanting more!" And Justin was probably like "if Janet is cool with it then I'm down!" I'm sure since Janet and Gil were bff's by then she trusted his ideas..

who knows though... It could've been Janet's idea completely, but knowing her I think she was probably coerced into doing it.. Maybe not as if she had a gun to her head, but after the Madonna/Britney stunt a few months prior, someone (Gil) had to have gotten into her head that she needed to 1-UP the VMAs kiss and really get people talking.. She should've just waited for the VMAs that year and whipped her tit out then... It for sure wouldn't have been a big deal if she had pulled the stunt on MTV...

oh well.. What could've been........

See I personally feel that we're making it seem just as big as the news did. I honestly think Janet along with everyone involved felt it would be iconic moment with media blitz but it would blow over. It would leave people talking & be one of the best SB moments in history. Janet being the sexy artist she was, it was right up her alley. I mean even though it wasn't on the same PRIMETIME platform, she simulated sex with a fan during concerts. This was common knowledge of who Janet is. 

She was able to be sexy, risqué, & still a lady. This was supposed to fall right into that same vein. I don't think she opposed or was apprehensive ever about it. I think they all probably thought how can we make this shit climax? It went perfect with the lyrics and the performance. It was excellent & it wasn't nearly as offensive as some of the commercials can be. All it comes down to was the media using her like a pawn, and she said she felt that's what was going on & it was. Seriously, a titty doesn't come close to the mind blowing  things tv allows. 

Janet made a decision that backfired, but I don't feel she did anything "out of character" or wrong. He had her naked by the end of the song. End of story lol. End scene. 

• Upvote 2

that may be true that she didn't come up with the idea of JT ripping bra cup off, but surely she could've vetoed it considering she had to have had to final say in what she chose to do on stage.. It's pretty apparent as she stood statue still that she knew what the plan was..

the closest she ever came to saying what was supposed to happen was to David Letterman ("...I wasn't supposed to come out of it like I did..") ...Although the stunt did actually go down the exact way it was meant to happen, albeit possibly literally one second too soon, according to the statement of the MTV director who was in charge of the halftime show.. And it was JT who said (also on Letterman) that the whole thing wasn't thought out well enough, implying that no matter what happened, it was going to be bad for them (Janet), regardless..

She has final say in whatever happens on stage. From the dancers hair to their make up to their outfits.

It was a bad decision but def blown way out of proportion 

• Upvote 1

this is my opinion, but I think Gil had a lot to do with it (if not all of it).. I just can't fathom that Justin Timberlake would say to Janet Jackson "hey you know what we should do at the end?? I will rip your top off and let people see your tit!"

But I can totally picture Gil approaching Janet and Justin and saying something like "Ya know we should end on a BANG and leave everyone speechless and wanting more!" And Justin was probably like "if Janet is cool with it then I'm down!" I'm sure since Janet and Gil were bff's by then she trusted his ideas..

who knows though... It could've been Janet's idea completely, but knowing her I think she was probably coerced into doing it.. Maybe not as if she had a gun to her head, but after the Madonna/Britney stunt a few months prior, someone (Gil) had to have gotten into her head that she needed to 1-UP the VMAs kiss and really get people talking.. She should've just waited for the VMAs that year and whipped her tit out then... It for sure wouldn't have been a big deal if she had pulled the stunt on MTV...

oh well.. What could've been........

It was totally his idea.  He was the one saying watch out for something shocking.  He does not have the creativity or the imagination of Tina or Shawn so this is what he came up with.  On top of that he has no clue as to what is expected at an event like this.  This was not one of her stage shows that she was doing primarily for her fans.  He does not understand what type of audience this was.  The same for her Essence Music Festival set and the BET tribute.  Those songs and those concepts  did not fit those audiences.   So she pretty much took the bullet for him and he got to keep his job which I think has hindered her even more throughout the years.  The creative level has dipped significantly.  

I still think it was a set up. I think that the lights were supposed to go off at that moment when Justin says have you naked by the end of this song, but all the lights stayed on.   Either that or the camera was supposed to cut away.  Neither one of them has ever told the truth on this matter so we will never really know. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

It was totally his idea.  He was the one saying watch out for something shocking.  He does not have the creativity or the imagination of Tina or Shawn so this is what he came up with.  On top of that he has no clue as to what is expected at an event like this.  This was not one of her stage shows that she was doing primarily for her fans.  He does not understand what type of audience this was.  The same for her Essence Music Festival set and the BET tribute.  Those songs and those concepts  did not fit those audiences.   So she pretty much took the bullet for him and he got to keep his job which I think has hindered her even more throughout the years.  The creative level has dipped significantly.  

I still think it was a set up. I think that the lights were supposed to go off at that moment when Justin says have you naked by the end of this song, but all the lights stayed on.   Either that or the camera was supposed to cut away.  Neither one of them has ever told the truth on this matter so we will never really know. 

agree with pretty much all of it... Janet's creativity bar has been lowered time and time again in the last decade... Although I will say that I LOVED the VMA tribute that Gil directed for MJ.. Looooved it! So he gets points from me for that!!

but yes like you said, a lot of times he doesn't know the audience he's creating for.. All your examples are valid in my eyes..

• Upvote 4

agree with pretty much all of it... Janet's creativity bar has been lowered time and time again in the last decade... Although I will say that I LOVED the VMA tribute that Gil directed for MJ.. Looooved it! So he gets points from me for that!!

but yes like you said, a lot of times he doesn't know the audience he's creating for.. All your examples are valid in my eyes..

Gil directed the VMA tribute? I thought it was more Tina and MJ's choreographers.

He still gets points for that though

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1