Where did the fans go with TVR?

Twistedvelvet

It's commonly believed that janet. has sold in the region of 20 million, whilst Velvet Rope has sold in the region of 10 million. Whatever the figures, its roughly about a half of a difference.

So where did they all go? What happened?

Design of a Decade sold roughly 10 million as well.

My theory is perhaps that people thought there was too much filler on janet. and it put people off her....

Or is it that janet. didn't sell as much as believed and was infact much in the same region as her previous albums (Control RN), therefore proving she didn't really lose fans.

She hasn't techincally lost as many fans since then. All for you also sold in the region of 10 million. The projects afterwards haven't really had a chance to get going so we can't really discuss them.

My focus is the period between Janet. and VR. Where did those fans go??

x

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tvr is a diff style of album

doesnt appeal to evry1

i rememebr wen 1st saw GTIG and that new hair, I was like WTF

and i didnt like the album either....i was too young to appreciate it

It's funny because I remember the TVR era much more than any other era.

I would say that janet. had stronger singles which helped push the album but I could be wrong :unsure:. Like OWN said TVR is very different to anything she had done before. Yeah there was TA and GD but the album overall was less pop/r&B than anything previous IMO.

Was illegal downloading an issue around the time of TVR?

it was single issues

GTIG was not the bizness....flop-orama

shit first single, and shit video (for pop audiences)

TVR was only big until TA and IGL

I didnt really like the album until after the tour

Yeah, I think GTIG was not a great choice for a first single, considering her audience.

But it was the first Janet album I ever bought, so she may have lost some old fans, but she gained some new ones. :thumbup: Don't think I bought it until a couple more singles had been released, though.

It's commonly believed that janet. has sold in the region of 20 million, whilst Velvet Rope has sold in the region of 10 million. Whatever the figures, its roughly about a half of a difference.

So where did they all go? What happened?

Design of a Decade sold roughly 10 million as well.

My theory is perhaps that people thought there was too much filler on janet. and it put people off her....

Or is it that janet. didn't sell as much as believed and was infact much in the same region as her previous albums (Control RN), therefore proving she didn't really lose fans.

She hasn't techincally lost as many fans since then. All for you also sold in the region of 10 million. The projects afterwards haven't really had a chance to get going so we can't really discuss them.

My focus is the period between Janet. and VR. Where did those fans go??

x

No way..that was Janet at her BIGGEST. I remember that era vividly. SHE WAS LARGER THAN LIFE! She was giving MJ and Madonna a run for their money as far as popularity,star quality and status. Like someone said TVR was not catered to her usual audience. There is a MAJOR difference thats evident between the janet album and TVR. She took a risk and I'm glad she did because she showed she was willing to sacrifice sales for her "art". And thats TRUE ARTISTRY to me...instead of artists creating albums just to receive the high numbers (sales).

No way..that was Janet at her BIGGEST. I remember that era vividly. SHE WAS LARGER THAN LIFE! She was giving MJ and Madonna a run for their money as far as popularity,star quality and status. Like someone said TVR was not catered to her usual audience. There is a MAJOR difference thats evident between the janet album and TVR. She took a risk and I'm glad she did because she showed she was willing to sacrifice sales for her "art". And thats TRUE ARTISTRY to me...instead of artists creating albums just to receive the high numbers (sales).

You don't think even the "Janet" album was a risk?

What I meant was, I wonder if people bought janet. since she was so popular, and ended up not liking it.

There is more filler on janet. compared to RN.

I don't know maybe not.

TVR may have been a different album but that should not stop the loyal fans buying her album anyway. Is it that 10 million (approx) of her fans just weren't loyal?

I don't remember 'Got til its gone' but it was a Top 5 hit in the UK. I remember 'Together again' being huge. Surely 'Together again' would have been enough to encourage those who weren't sure at first to go buy her album...

What I meant was, I wonder if people bought janet. since she was so popular, and ended up not liking it.

I don't know maybe not.

TVR may have been a different album but that should not stop the loyal fans buying her album anyway. Is it that 10 million (approx) of her fans just weren't loyal?

I don't remember 'Got til its gone' but it was a Top 5 hit in the UK. I remember 'Together again' being huge. Surely 'Together again' would have been enough to encourage those who weren't sure at first to go buy her album...

Not everyone who purchases a record is doing so as an act of loyalty to that artist - a lot of times, people just like the songs from the album. janet. had stellar singles and a great image, so I'm sure that really helped her sell the album. But people might not have been that interested in what the next album had to offer.

Not everyone who purchases a record is doing so as an act of loyalty to that artist - a lot of times, people just like the songs from the album. janet. had stellar singles and a great image, so I'm sure that really helped her sell the album. But people might not have been that interested in what the next album had to offer.

Well, I don't know what happened with 'Got til its gone' in America, its a hot song, and the video is brilliant.

Wasn't more an issue of it not being released physically. Perhaps then it would have done better.

Well, I don't know what happened with 'Got til its gone' in America, its a hot song, and the video is brilliant.

Wasn't more an issue of it not being released physically. Perhaps then it would have done better.

It was released physically wasnt it? I have a CD single of it :S. or did you mean in USA?

The singles from janet. were stronger. They catered to her audience - pop/R&B. Nobody knew WTF Janet was on during TVR. The singles weren't built for her normal audience. Plus there was only 2 real singles from TVR - partly because the album only had two real singles - whereas janet. had 6 plus two airplay songs.

It all boils down to the singles being audience friendly.

I don't know maybe not.

It has nothing to do with that. Who's to say that EVERYONE that purchased that album had fillers? I actually know a few ppl that says thats their FAVORITE Janet album. The bottomline is album sales for an artist go up and down anyway. Every album is not gonna sale the same. Its too many factors that play a part in how an album sells. Its more than just the music.

The singles from janet. were stronger. They catered to her audience - pop/R&B. Nobody knew WTF Janet was on during TVR. The singles weren't built for her normal audience. Plus there was only 2 real singles from TVR - partly because the album only had two real singles - whereas janet. had 6 plus two airplay songs.

It all boils down to the singles being audience friendly.

This

I was one of them

I was like..

209t0rd.gif

Yeah, I think GTIG was not a great choice for a first single, considering her audience.

But it was the first Janet album I ever bought, so she may have lost some old fans, but she gained some new ones. :thumbup: Don't think I bought it until a couple more singles had been released, though.

that was Janet going against what everybody expected. Gotta love her for that. :blush:

I get what people are saying about it was different and like 'WTF Janet' feeling may have been common...

But then, you'd think the fact she changed her image so much would have gone in her favour and would have eearnt her more respect and sales. Plus, its not like there weren't other artists who went off in weird tangents image wise over music history, even today (rolls eyes). Is it that Janet's fans base are/were 'normal sane secure' people? lol.

I get what people are saying about it was different and like 'WTF Janet' feeling may have been common...

But then, you'd think the fact she changed her image so much would have gone in her favour and would have eearnt her more respect and sales. Plus, its not like there weren't other artists who went off in weird tangents image wise over music history, even today (rolls eyes). Is it that Janet's fans base are/were 'normal sane secure' people? lol.

I think ur reading tooooooooooooooooooooooooo much into it

TVR got critical respect

People just werent expecting it

See Madonna did ROL, but "Frozen" and "ROL" are such exceptional songs, people liked it

GTIG, while good, is not the kinda thing ppl are gonna go rush out and buy

TVR era had some people scratching their heads. It took me a while to warm up to the album(I was 18 at the time) because Janet had truly evolved. I remember when people were making a big deal about her album sales because they didn't match her last effort. Janet compromised her commercial success because the whole feel of the album was so different from what her core audience was used. It was a risk that would later pay off when she toured and released a radio friendly single(TA).

Sounds to me like just a bunch of excuses. As usual people too hard on Janet but giving everyone else a fair deal.

'Got til its gone' and 'Together Again' are way better than 'Frozen' and 'Ray of light'.

My sister and mum rushed out and bought Janet's singles and that's how I became a fan eventually....not madonna's :filenails:

It amazes me how Madonna can die her hair black, look like a ghoul with henna tattoos, and that buys her an advance of sales of like 15 million.

But Janet dies her hair red and bundles it up, and that's 'too much for people to handle'.

Palease!!

Archived