Where did the fans go with TVR?

Twistedvelvet

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Twistedvelvet :sigh:

Why are you going on and on about something that is pretty much CLEAR AS DAY?

NOT ONE ARTIST sold the same amount with each album. Its lot of things that factor into how an album sells. Singles,promo,marketing,etc. PERIOD.

Its ridiculous to even sit here and try to come up with an explanation when thats just simply HOW IT IS. You're sales will go up and down as an artist. You should be grateful that TVR didn't flop because it easily could have. So to wonder why it didn't sell as much as janet is trivial compared to it selling pretty decently -or AT ALL.

If we're going with your logic TV...where did the fans go for Damita Jo. 20 YO, discipline??? Did she really lose 9 million fans? Taking that into consideration...then what iJanet said makes more sense.

PS the only one that needs to take anything is you...did you forget your meds today :unsure:

VR wasn't as commercially appealing as the previous super albums. She was very Urban from the mid 90's up until AFY era. It was time for Janet's music to mature which meant that the music would change and evolve. So the bubble gum audience that was around for Control/RN/Janet. weren't really going to embrace an album like VR with open arms. Which is exactly why sales didn't pick up until Together Again was released. And albums sales don't always mean every purchaser is a loyal fan. I think album sales are usually 25% loyal/hardcore fans and the other 75% is the impressionalbe audience who will either support or chose not to support you. The sales for Damita Jo, 20 Y.O and Discipline were the sales of loyal fans.

Plus the marketing machine behind Control/RN/Janet. was totally different from the marketing approach of VR. Virgin and A&M consitently pushed the HELL out of Control/RN/Janet. throughout the entire eras. They kind of let VR carry itself after Together again was released. Let's not forget Janet was one step from over exposed from 86-95 just like Whitney and Mariah (when she came out in 1990), the only reason there wasn't backlash was because people kept asking for more. I honestly think Control/RN/Janet. were only supposed to have 4 singles but the demand was so high for more releases that they kept releasing singles. And since the material on those albums (especially RN) was so good, those last minute singles were huge hits.

VR rope had a lot of singles that didn't even have a full release (Got til it's gone, Go Deep, You)... technically VR only had 3 official singles with a full commercial release. Together Again, I get Lonely, & Everytime were the only singles with a physical single release, video, and a full radio release on all appropriate formats in the US. However Control/RN/Janet. all had at least 5 singles that were given full releases and proper promotion.

With all that being said the VR is my favorite era because that's when I became a fan. :cheers:

If we're going with your logic TV...where did the fans go for Damita Jo. 20 YO, discipline??? Did she really lose 9 million fans? Taking that into consideration...then what iJanet said makes more sense.

PS the only one that needs to take anything is you...did you forget your meds today :unsure:

DJ = SuperBowl and bad timing.

20 Y.O. = Idiots were expecting a Control like album.

Discipline = The album sucks and got the right sales it deserved.

DJ = SuperBowl and bad timing.

20 Y.O. = Idiots were expecting a Control like album.

Discipline = The album sucks and got the right sales it deserved.

Exactly...each album has a different situation. That means sales will never be the same. But I don't think TV understands that

Sounds to me like just a bunch of excuses. As usual people too hard on Janet but giving everyone else a fair deal.

'Got til its gone' and 'Together Again' are way better than 'Frozen' and 'Ray of light'.

My sister and mum rushed out and bought Janet's singles and that's how I became a fan eventually....not madonna's :filenails:

It amazes me how Madonna can die her hair black, look like a ghoul with henna tattoos, and that buys her an advance of sales of like 15 million.

But Janet dies her hair red and bundles it up, and that's 'too much for people to handle'.

Palease!!

your sister and mum do not represent the population...

you can not compare Madonna & Janet like that

you can not compare Madonna & Janet like that

Why not?

And btw, to all of u...really need to stop getting at me. I'm getting sick if it. I want to discuss Janet and stan for her all the way. If u don't like it fuck off simples. And yes this is me getting tough now.

I've never been directly nasty to anyone and if i have its for blantantly obvious humour or sarcasm. Never even thrown a punch in my life. Now I don't appreciate people on here saying I need meds or that I'm an idiot. You don't even know me and that's just directly offensive.

All I wanted to do was have a debate about why sales that were consisted for 3 albums had dropped. Someone mentioned madonna, so I replied and carried the debate on with an opinion regarding her...only to then be called an idiot. Just fucking annoying and it's always the same smart asses.

No..because SEX always sales. Even if one wanted to call that album a "risk" because she went from a church nun to a SEX GODDESS its still not as far of a leap as TVR.

the "janet" album was a very risky move 4 janet-especially w/her cussing on THROB track.............keep in mind folks had janet in the WHOLESOME/FAMILY FRIENDLY lane...................folks were GAGGING w/ Anytime-Anyplace video-janet said adults would approach her & ask-whatever happen 2 "let wait awhile" janet ??!

I think ur reading tooooooooooooooooooooooooo much into it

TVR got critical respect

People just werent expecting it

See Madonna did ROL, but "Frozen" and "ROL" are such exceptional songs, people liked it

GTIG, while good, is not the kinda thing ppl are gonna go rush out and buy

GTIG got great reviews from critics, and TA went to #1 on billboard. In terms of quality, Janet was at her peak during TVR era. Ultimately I think GTIG was to urban for pop radio. But she rebounded well with TA, which performed better on the charts than any of the material Madonna released from ROL. At the end of the day, TVR project was darker in tone than anything janet had ever done, and a lot of pop fans simply stayed away. but the album still sold and the tour was a hit. Artistically most see the album as her best. So at the end of the day, it was a good era.

But it's impossible having a debate with you...

No it's not.

The idea of a debate is to exchange and argue AND dispute opinions. It's u that always makes it personal.

U obviously expect me to agree with u or accept your opinion. That is not a debate.

I'm actually the opposite, I'm very good at debating, and that's why ull resort to offence cause u can't argue back.

Archived