X MEN first class

Xtraordinary Xternal

'X-Men' mutants weaken with $56M prequel debut

LOS ANGELES – Young X-Men don't have the same box-office superpowers as their older selves.

"X-Men: First Class" had a solid No. 1 opening with a $56 million weekend, according to studio estimates Sunday.

But the 20th Century Fox prequel chronicling the formative years of the comic-book mutants found smaller audiences than the franchise's first four big-screen adventures, which featured older versions of the X-Men.

Debut weekends for the last three "X-Men" flicks ranged from $85.1 million to $102.8 million. The original "X-Men" opened 11 years ago with $54.5 million, but that would amount to about $80 million today adjusting for ticket-price inflation.

Fox distribution executive Chris Aronson said the studio achieved its goal of opening the prequel at about the same revenue numbers as the original "X-Men."

"This is just an excellent start in launching a brand new chapter of the `X-Men' franchise," said Aronson, dismissing comparisons to the $85.1 million debut of Hugh Jackman's "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" in 2009.

"You can't compare this one to any of the other `X-Men' movies, except maybe" the first one, Aronson said. "Something like `Wolverine' is a totally unfair comparison because that had a bonafide worldwide star in Hugh Jackman and arguably the most popular character in the `X-Men' stable."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110605/ap_en_ot/us_box_office

I was expecting a bigger opening. >_<

That's cause of the stupid trailers. They didn't show the good trailers until like a week or 2 before the movie was gonna debut. They should've been released the good trailers cause I was definitely put off by them and i'm an X-Men fan at heart and i'm sure alot of other fans were put off cause of the trailers and how boring they were

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In this case I agree. But, NORMALLY if a movie is going to call itself a prequel you want continuity and for the timelines to pretty much match up. It isnt needed in this case though which is why it works. Otherwise you may as well divorce yourself from the previous films and reboot.

Like the Michael Keaten/Val kilmer Bat films, and the Nolan verse newer Bat films.

it's fiction.. :mellow:

it's not based off a true story...

I loved it!! The theater was packed and everyone seemed to enjoy it. Magnesus once again proves why he's the most powerful mutant. :clapping: Everyone was in awe when he levitated that ship! It was well written and well acted..but I have gripes..

Someone else should have played Emma Frost instead of Flopuary Jones..her body looked like a stick..She didn't give me enough skank as only Emma Frost should give..

Moira Mactaggert and Banshee are Irish right? :unsure:

And they didn't have to kill off the only black character.. :rolleyes:

it's fiction.. :mellow:

it's not based off a true story...

So? Prequels are found all over literary fiction? Just because its fiction doesnt meant it doesnt have to make cognitive sense in the fictional world the author/writer is building. The best quality fiction of course wants you to make sense of the world they are building regarless of it not being "real". They create the rules and guidelines build the world and then tell a story within those guidelines and rules.

Tolkien spent most of his adult life basically writing the prequels to the Lord of the Rings series. In the Silmarillion he wanted to develop more of the history of the LOTR world he created including timelines etc.

You cant possibly think only true storys have to make sense.

I loved it!! The theater was packed and everyone seemed to enjoy it. Magnesus once again proves why he's the most powerful mutant. :clapping: Everyone was in awe when he levitated that ship! It was well written and well acted..but I have gripes..

Someone else should have played Emma Frost instead of Flopuary Jones..her body looked like a stick..She didn't give me enough skank as only Emma Frost should give..

Moira Mactaggert and Banshee are Irish right? :unsure:

And they didn't have to kill off the only black character.. :rolleyes:

Yeah her voice was a bit too light for Emma also I thought. I always picture Emma as MORE skanky and slutty/snobby. Agreed with her body being too thin not enough fake curves for plastic Emma

Yeah her voice was a bit too light for Emma also I thought. I always picture Emma as MORE skanky and slutty/snobby. Agreed with her body being too thin not enough fake curves for plastic Emma

I didn't like her as Emma..I think Scarlett Johannsen could have been a better choice..

And the actor who played Magnesus was handsome..and James Mcavoy was excellent as a young Charles Xavier..I never knew Charles was such a free spirit.. :excited:

So? Prequels are found all over literary fiction? Just because its fiction doesnt meant it doesnt have to make cognitive sense in the fictional world the author/writer is building. The best quality fiction of course wants you to make sense of the world they are building regarless of it not being "real". They create the rules and guidelines build the world and then tell a story within those guidelines and rules.

Tolkien spent most of his adult life basically writing the prequels to the Lord of the Rings series. In the Silmarillion he wanted to develop more of the history of the LOTR world he created including timelines etc.

You cant possibly think only true storys have to make sense.

all that is subjective.. it's pure entertainment.. only the people who take it seriously.. the nerds and geeks who read too far into fictional stories, cares about the minor details...

there rules are simple... get the characters' personalities, voices, looks, (in this case) powers, and make sense of the entire story

now if they left out that Mystique aged half as fast as others.. or how Professor Xavier became wheel-chair bound.. then there would be an issue..

Tolkien is a nerd

What does her being caucasian have to do with anything? :mellow: There are white girls with ass...i've seen em.

January Jones and that baggy lingerie just wasn't the biz. I need sexy slut for Emma Frost. -_-

yeah but the majority don't but anyway I can't wait to see the movie

Sorry joe joe he up there... of course but he said that magneto could be more powerful than him... especially when he got that helmet on.

hmmm well without the helmet Xavier got him beat

Now u see what i was saying yesterday. :lol:

Archived