Battle Of The Year's Best Album: Round 12

TwistedElegance™

Battle Of The Year's Best Album: Round 12  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Choose

• [img]http://i590.photobucket.com/albums/ss345/FlashingLights82/BGDDMJ13.jpg[/img] Michael Jackson
    • [img]http://i590.photobucket.com/albums/ss345/FlashingLights82/songs-in-a-minor.jpg[/img] Alicia Keys
    • [img]http://i590.photobucket.com/albums/ss345/FlashingLights82/med_shakira_artist_photo6.jpg[/img] Shakira
    • [img]http://i590.photobucket.com/albums/ss345/FlashingLights82/220px-IndiaArieAcousticSoul-1.jpg[/img] India.Arie
    • [img]http://i590.photobucket.com/albums/ss345/FlashingLights82/51mwzxxdvql_ss500_.jpg[/img] Usher
    • [img]http://i590.photobucket.com/albums/ss345/FlashingLights82/220px-AaliyahHighRes.jpg[/img] Aaliyah
    • [img]http://i590.photobucket.com/albums/ss345/FlashingLights82/220px-DC_Survivor_low.jpg[/img] Destiny's Child
    • [img]http://i590.photobucket.com/albums/ss345/FlashingLights82/album-missundaztood.jpg[/img] P!nk
    • [img]http://i590.photobucket.com/albums/ss345/FlashingLights82/220px-Jennifer_Lopez_-_J__Lo_-_CD_album_cover.jpg[/img] Jennifer Lopez
    • [img]http://i590.photobucket.com/albums/ss345/FlashingLights82/miss-e-so-addictive.jpg[/img] Missy Elliott

I'm not giving pity. I'm reading from BOTH sides. Not just critics and not just Michael. I've read BOTH and I've weighed out that though it wasn't nearly his best, he gave an excellent work. Michael sold like crazy worldwide and that wasn't for nothing. People don't buy what they don't like to some degree. Hell since Janet was brought up, let's not forget how she said her brother deserved to be on top with that album and she wanted to be right behind him if hers didn't hit number one.

There have been others who have been trying to sing his praises since '09 and I'm not hearing it at all. Like most of Michael's fans and especially his stans. The Rolling Stone of the 80s isn't the Rolling Stone of the new millenium. That applies to so many critics. People do quit, retire, lose their jobs, etc. So not all of the same people reviewing back then, reviewed Invincible. Closed.

I just know I don't like hearing it, so there.

Again, MJ sales really don't matter when it comes to the quality. We ALL know that MJ was going to sell regardless based off his name alone but the material just wasn't IT. The stans/fans I've spoke to have echoed this, as well..

and Janet's opinion on MJ is irrelevant to this discussion. Janet mentioning that her own brother deserves to be on top has N-O-T-H-I-N-G to do with the album being poor in quality.

Who's trying to sing his praises since '09? The critics? :lmao: No, they haven't. They had no problem clowning Michael album last year. Whether you like it or not - Rolling Stone is the most reputable in the music industry when it comes to music reviews and news. Different critics over time won't change this. Like I said, I guarantee you guys would be singing a different tune if these critics praised him.

Oh and I really don't care if you don't like me calling TOF ThatOtherThing. :wacko: He knows I'm joking anyway.

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a decent album released passed his prime. It's just that it loses steam halfway through, and it's a mash up of previous works. Invincible is pretty much the equivalent of Janet's Damita Jo.

Now that I can relate to. It was as horrible as people Miss Enjoi, Art try to make it sound. It was the best of his catalog but it wasn't horrible. I can listen to it all the way through and smile at the end, like I do with Janet's Damita Jo. Unbreakable, Heartbreaker, Heaven Can Wait, Break of Dawn, Sppechless, Butterflies. Threatened, even. I enjoy them enough to listen more than once. But it's not like I feel a total revitalization like I do with Dangerous, or Bad. Hell, even though I'm young, Off the Wall is my haven album. When I really need to just dance, move and chill.

Do I seem a little more reasonable now? In your opinion.

Again, MJ sales really don't matter when it comes to the quality. We ALL know that MJ was going to sell regardless based off his name alone but the material just wasn't IT. The stans/fans I've spoke to have echoed this, as well..

and Janet's opinion on MJ is irrelevant to this discussion. Janet mentioning that her own brother deserves to be on top has N-O-T-H-I-N-G to do with the album being poor in quality.

Who's trying to sing his praises since '09? The critics? :lmao: No, they haven't. They had no problem clowning Michael album last year. Whether you like it or not - Rolling Stone is the most reputable in the music industry when it comes to music reviews and news. Different critics over time won't change this. Like I said, I guarantee you guys would be singing a different tune if these critics praised him.

Oh and I really don't care if you don't like me calling TOF ThatOtherThing. :wacko: He knows I'm joking anyway.

9rkr9u.jpg

Sorry I have to disagree with you. The ending of that first part is a music critique, as is the second line, and the rest of that paragraph. :umm:

Every review focuses a bit on the life of the artist to give the reader some background information.

It literally says that one reviewer on staff dispassionately listen to it.

What type of reviewer STARTS OFF listening to a CD dispassionately!?! :huh:

THAT was pretty much typical of most reviews I read at that time (though the one I've posted is much more positive than the others I remember)

Also, the links to MOST of the full reviews of Vince are broken/don't work.

Once again, I'm not saying it was his best. But I don't see calling it horrible either. That just doesn't ring well at all. He put decent work into that album and got a decent project. Done.

Then why did someone bring her up before with this? I was expounding on their idea. Done.

Certain critics have, yes. Especially Michael's bullshit team from back then. Mottola, Dileo, Tohme, the rest. They can't shut the fuck up now. The same Rolling Stone who tried to called JT the new King of Pop after that wack ass Future Shit/Lost Sounds release? I'll pass.

Plus, it depends. What critics, and what they said. Cleared.

Well I surely hope he does.

I have NO PROBLEM with a negative review, whether I agree with it or not, I do however have a problem with a review that spends 85% of the review criticizing the man and not the music.

Now that I can relate to. It was as horrible as people Miss Enjoi, Art try to make it sound. It was the best of his catalog but it wasn't horrible. I can listen to it all the way through and smile at the end, like I do with Janet's Damita Jo. Unbreakable, Heartbreaker, Heaven Can Wait, Break of Dawn, Speechless, Butterflies. Threatened, even. I enjoy them enough to listen more than once. But it's not like I feel a total revitalization like I do with Dangerous, or Bad. Hell, even though I'm young, Off the Wall is my haven album. When I really need to just dance, move and chill.

Do I seem a little more reasonable now? In your opinion.

Those along with "You Rock My World" and "Invincible" are the obvious stand out tracks. The others are just filler imo. The album isn't bad, YRMW is one of my favorite MJ songs actually. It's just long, like Dangerous, for no reason and it's like no intermission. The transitions between the good tracks is good, but those ballads are not the tea. I've been reading everyone's post, and everyone is right for the most part. Most of the reviews for MJ have always been about his lifestyle rather than his music. But not the overwhelming majority of the review is about Michael the man. It's not a game of playing the victim, but like I said, just about every review for a major pop star includes the personal life of the artist. Hell most of the reviews for Damita Jo seemed like a review of the Halftime show rather than the album. :wacko: And if you think MJ has it bad, read a Britney Spears album review from 2005 - 2011.

I have NO PROBLEM with a negative review, whether I agree with it or not, I do however have a problem with a review that spends 85% of the review criticizing the man and not the music.

They've done this to Janet so I kinda agree :filenails:

It literally says that one reviewer on staff dispassionately listen to it.

What type of reviewer STARTS OFF listening to a CD dispassionately!?! :huh:

THAT was pretty much typical of most reviews I read at that time (though the one I've posted is much more positive than the others I remember)

Also, the links to MOST of the full reviews of Vince are broken/don't work.

That's one review out of how many? I remember reading a review that said Invincible was when Mike stopped being the Mike we had come to know and love. It was his least artistic work to date. Though the reviews focused on personal life, lest we not pretend as if the mentioning of the music wasn't there.

Once again, I'm not saying it was his best. But I don't see calling it horrible either. That just doesn't ring well at all. He put decent work into that album and got a decent project. Done.

Then why did someone bring her up before with this? I was expounding on their idea. Done.

Certain critics have, yes. Especially Michael's bullshit team from back then. Mottola, Dileo, Tohme, the rest. They can't shut the fuck up now. The same Rolling Stone who tried to called JT the new King of Pop after that wack ass Future Shit/Lost Sounds release? I'll pass.

Plus, it depends. What critics, and what they said. Cleared.

Well I surely hope he does.

That's YOUR opinion.

Who brought her up? :mellow:

Once again, Rolling Stone is the most reputable source in the music industry. Case closed. And we're not going to play 'Pick and choose'. All critics should be viewed equally.

Those along with "You Rock My World" and "Invincible" are the obvious stand out tracks. The others are just filler imo. The album isn't bad, YRMW is one of my favorite MJ songs actually. It's just long, like Dangerous, for no reason and it's like no intermission. The transitions between the good tracks is good, but those ballads are not the tea. I've been reading everyone's post, and everyone is right for the most part. Most of the reviews for MJ have always been about his lifestyle rather than his music. But not the overwhelming majority of the review is about Michael the man. It's not a game of playing the victim, but like I said, just about every review for a major pop star includes the personal life of the artist. Hell most of the reviews for Damita Jo seemed like a review of the Halftime show rather than the album. :wacko: And if you think MJ has it bad, read a Britney Spears album review from 2005 - 2011.

Agreed. Finally some higher, common ground. I say Michael could have spent a little more time on it, but he was pressured. Not bringing in pity, but he was, a little. I love the album for its standouts and give respectful kudos for its fillers.

Agreed with the reviews as well. I don't really need to reply to that bit. You said it.

Yes, now they crucified her in the press. I'm just curious about what they expected from her. She can do some stuff, but to ring her through like that? Damn. I'm not a fan at all, but she got some sympathy from me during those years. Critics don't play at all.

That's one review out of how many? I remember reading a review that said Invincible was when Mike stopped being the Mike we had come to know and love. It was his least artistic work to date. Though the reviews focused on personal life, lest we not pretend as if the mentioning of the music wasn't there.

Yes, the music was there...but it was VERY obvious that the parts about his personal life were the center piece of the article and not the actual music.

Again, I don't have a problem with a negative review, even if I 100% disagree with it. I have a problem with the review spending MOST of the review focusing on the man and not the music, and/or thoughts about his life/image being an OBVIOUS bias in review of the music.

The reviews I remember from that time almost exclusively focused on his life/image, with very little to do with the actual music...It was very frustrating at that time.

That's YOUR opinion.

Who brought her up? :mellow:

Once again, Rolling Stone is the most reputable source in the music industry. Case closed. And we're not going to play 'Pick and choose'. All critics should be viewed equally.

It's logic.

You can look back through the posts. I'm not searching through over 10 pages of comments. :filenails:

I'll give you Rolling Stone. But not every critic out there has sensible say. Hell, just read my replies to Austin. I'm not repeating myself. :sigh:

It's logic.

You can look back through the posts. I'm not searching through over 10 pages of comments. :filenails:

I'll give you Rolling Stone. But not every critic out there has sensible say. Hell, just read my replies to Austin. I'm not repeating myself. :sigh:

It's an opinion. Grow up and understand that everyone isn't going to see eye-to-eye with you.

I'm not going to because I really don't care. That tidbit was irrelevant in the first place.

It doesn't matter what you feel is sensible. :wacko: Like I said, all critics should be viewed equally whether you like their reviews or not.

Fin.

Agreed. Finally some higher, common ground. I say Michael could have spent a little more time on it, but he was pressured. Not bringing in pity, but he was, a little. I love the album for its standouts and give respectful kudos for its fillers.

Agreed with the reviews as well. I don't really need to reply to that bit. You said it.

Yes, now they crucified her in the press. I'm just curious about what they expected from her. She can do some stuff, but to ring her through like that? Damn. I'm not a fan at all, but she got some sympathy from me during those years. Critics don't play at all.

The critics don't care about personal life. If the music isn't good, they're gonna tell you. Even Janet admitted that DJ didn't sell well because it was the music. The music wasn't all that, it wasn't what we're accustomed to from Janet. Nevertheless it's a decent album, just like Invincible. If he had taken out the fillers and replaced them with "Someone Put Your Hand Out", it would have been a solid album. -_-

Yes, the music was there...but it was VERY obvious that the parts about his personal life were the center piece of the article and not the actual music.

Again, I don't have a problem with a negative review, even if I 100% disagree with it. I have a problem with the review spending MOST of the review focusing on the man and not the music, and/or thoughts about his life/image being an OBVIOUS bias in review of the music.

The reviews I remember from that time almost exclusively focused on his life/image, with very little to do with the actual music...It was very frustrating at that time.

But was there much to talk about at that time? There wasn't any media hype that critics could have talked about at the time. After the whole fiasco in the mid 80s, MJ's life became a tabloid story, and his music took the back seat. That's just the way it has been for some time. Most of the reviews from Metacritic didn't focus entirely on his life, some actually critiqued the music.

It's an opinion. Grow up and understand that everyone isn't going to see eye-to-eye with you.

I'm not going to because I really don't care. That tidbit was irrelevant in the first place.

It doesn't matter what you feel is sensible. :wacko: Like I said, all critics should be viewed equally whether you like their reviews or not.

Fin.

I understood that years ago, believe me. Arguing with you has no rule on my maturity. Done.

So be it.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Adieu.

The critics don't care about personal life. If the music isn't good, they're gonna tell you. Even Janet admitted that DJ didn't sell well because it was the music. The music wasn't all that, it wasn't what we're accustomed to from Janet. Nevertheless it's a decent album, just like Invincible. If he had taken out the fillers and replaced them with "Someone Put Your Hand Out", it would have been a solid album. -_-

I can think of some other tracks as well including "Someone Put Your Hand Out". "We've Had Enough" with some work on it, "Scared of the Moon", and some others. Some of the songs he picked just weren't right for the album, and at that time, too. Michael is a die hard perfectionist and so the overwhelming of negative reviews didn't effect him well. Though not every single one was on point, it was enough. There were promo issues, but the album lacked. Admittance as an MJ stan and a music slave. It lacked.

I can think of some other tracks as well including "Someone Put Your Hand Out". "We've Had Enough" with some work on it, "Scared of the Moon", and some others. Some of the songs he picked just weren't right for the album, and at that time, too. Michael is a die hard perfectionist and so the overwhelming of negative reviews didn't effect him well. Though not every single one was on point, it was enough. There were promo issues, but the album lacked. Admittance as an MJ stan and a music slave. It lacked.

I can do nothing but cosign, even though I'm not a stan, just a huge fan. :lol:

Fin.

you getting good something about hanging round these parts does that to ya, TwistedElegance he straight up throwing shade now I be like wow :thumbup:

Archived