Battle Of The Year's Best Album: Round 12

TwistedElegance™

Battle Of The Year's Best Album: Round 12  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Choose

• [img]http://i590.photobucket.com/albums/ss345/FlashingLights82/BGDDMJ13.jpg[/img] Michael Jackson
    • [img]http://i590.photobucket.com/albums/ss345/FlashingLights82/songs-in-a-minor.jpg[/img] Alicia Keys
    • [img]http://i590.photobucket.com/albums/ss345/FlashingLights82/med_shakira_artist_photo6.jpg[/img] Shakira
    • [img]http://i590.photobucket.com/albums/ss345/FlashingLights82/220px-IndiaArieAcousticSoul-1.jpg[/img] India.Arie
    • [img]http://i590.photobucket.com/albums/ss345/FlashingLights82/51mwzxxdvql_ss500_.jpg[/img] Usher
    • [img]http://i590.photobucket.com/albums/ss345/FlashingLights82/220px-AaliyahHighRes.jpg[/img] Aaliyah
    • [img]http://i590.photobucket.com/albums/ss345/FlashingLights82/220px-DC_Survivor_low.jpg[/img] Destiny's Child
    • [img]http://i590.photobucket.com/albums/ss345/FlashingLights82/album-missundaztood.jpg[/img] P!nk
    • [img]http://i590.photobucket.com/albums/ss345/FlashingLights82/220px-Jennifer_Lopez_-_J__Lo_-_CD_album_cover.jpg[/img] Jennifer Lopez
    • [img]http://i590.photobucket.com/albums/ss345/FlashingLights82/miss-e-so-addictive.jpg[/img] Missy Elliott

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That whole album is a shadow of his former self. It's as if each song was trying to capture the things that made him great but they failed miserably.

YESSS!

Many critics that reviewed the album said the same thing.

I think Dangerous and HIStory are his best albums. You know now that I think about MJ doesn't have that many albums that are good from start to finish. :unsure:

That's YOUR opinion. As well as a few stuck up members around here who keep trying to compare Michael's new millenium with the old. Hell Michael HIMSELF never attempted that. :coffee:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm about to go to bed, but my people will deliver you a negative from me later :filenails:

Don't Care. - ThatOtherFan's Team :coffee:

Well Mike's label only released two tracks from the album in the states before pulling promo on the album....so ALOT of good material has never truly been heard by MOST people who judge the album based on what the media says.

I'm not speaking about you and a few others in this thread...you all simply have no taste in music. :coffee:

we're placed squarely in Michael Jacksonland, a bizarre place where every sparkling street is computer-generated, every edifice is larger than life and every song is full of grandiose desperation. It's an excruciatingly self-referential place, worsened further by its namesake's unmatched controversies and weirdnesses, plus the inevitable march of pop time.

- Rolling Stone

In the end, Invincible breaks little ground, instead sticking to familiar sounds of both his recent past and near-ancient history.

- Slant

But like the rest of ''Invincible,'' there's no joy or humor in it, no sense of release. Trying to make songs that will blanket the media universe again, pop that lives up to his past fame, Mr. Jackson is unwilling to get too personal but unable to escape his scars and ambitions. Pop is a promise of pleasure, but on ''Invincible,'' he's so busy trying to dazzle listeners that he forgets to have any fun.

- New York Times

. It may take a lifetime for Jackson to straighten himself out, but he doesn't seem any closer at 43. On Invincible, his come-on songs to women are petulant rather than mature, and his save-the-world odes feel more fueled by ego than care. (The frightening new nose he debuts on the cover is another matter.) Now that his muse has forsaken him to the point where relative disappointments like Bad and Dangerous sound like half successes, he's become more of a fairytale figure than he ever imagined: He's pop's Lost Boy.

- Entertainment Weekly

Apparently I wasn't the only one who thought Invincible was crap. :coffee:

The Lost Children is an awareness song. Please excuse the fuck out of Michael for keeping with his activism. If you actually read and understood the lyrics like the REST of humanity you would know that the song was meant for children like little Caylee, or JonBenet Ramsey, and children who are missing/dying/murdered. Not everything was Happy and Sunshiny with Michael's music. He brought out the darksides of the world like this. :angry:

Like I give a flying or crawling fuck. :mellow::lmao:

The song is TRASH and there's nothing dark about The Lost Children. It's just really creepy.

That's YOUR opinion. As well as a few stuck up members around here who keep trying to compare Michael's new millenium with the old. Hell Michael HIMSELF never attempted that. :coffee:

It's not just my opinion. It's Slant, Entertainment Weekly, Rolling Stone, The New York Times, 10 people on this board, and a whole bunch of other people's opinion. :coffee:

YESSS!

I think Dangerous and HIStory are his best albums. You know now that I think about MJ doesn't have that many albums that are good from start to finish. :unsure:

The same critics who created the MJ Standards imaginary bar line? Closed deal.

Oh really? And what would these albums be? Off the Wall was a disco/R&B masterpiece, especially for it's time. Thriller, 'nuff said. Bad, hell that's a highlight for both Pop, Rock AND R&B. Dangerous, NEVER come for this one. Flawless. Beginning to end. This is my fave. History, the legacy lives on. Invincible, engraved him into the face of the new millenium with his crown. DONE...Da-Da.

YESSS!

Critics who reviewed the album (for the most part) were/are EXTREMELY BIAS. In that they don't judge the music itself, and compare it to Thriller...or spend the entire review talking about his image and his life.

I remember reading one reviewer saying "Break Of Dawn" was "creepy" since basically Michael was singing about sex/an intimate relationship...and it was "creepy" to hear Michael Jackson sing about that.

Whether you agree with that or not, what the hell does that have to do with critiquing the actual song!?! :mellow:

Apparently I wasn't the only one who thought Invincible was crap. :coffee:

Those reviews critiqued the man, NOT the music...which goes back to what I was saying here:

Critics who reviewed the album (for the most part) were/are EXTREMELY BIAS. In that they don't judge the music itself, and compare it to Thriller...or spend the entire review talking about his image and his life.

I remember reading one reviewer saying "Break Of Dawn" was "creepy" since basically Michael was singing about sex/an intimate relationship...and it was "creepy" to hear Michael Jackson sing about that.

Whether you agree with that or not, what the hell does that have to do with critiquing the actual song!?! :mellow:

Those reviews critiqued the man, NOT the music...which goes back to what I was saying here:

So you expect me to sit here and take your opinion as GOLD over reputable news sources because you have an idea that they were being bias? Where's your receipts? :mellow:

It's not just my opinion. It's Slant, Entertainment Weekly, Rolling Stone, The New York Times, 10 people on this board, and a whole bunch of other people's opinion. :coffee:

Who gives a fuck about those first 4? Rolling Stone? Really? No.

10 people on the board? And? Like they have a say so over the total public opinion. And unless you can name these "whole bunch of other people" they don't really matter now do they? :coffee:

The same critics who created the MJ Standards imaginary bar line? Closed deal.

Oh really? And what would these albums be? Off the Wall was a disco/R&B masterpiece, especially for it's time. Thriller, 'nuff said. Bad, hell that's a highlight for both Pop, Rock AND R&B. Dangerous, NEVER come for this one. Flawless. Beginning to end. This is my fave. History, the legacy lives on. Invincible, engraved him into the face of the new millenium with his crown. DONE...Da-Da.

What? :mellow::wacko:

The critics dragged MJ by his lacefront in 2001 over the trash that is Invincible. :lmao: and these same critics are the ones that rate most of his songs as some of the best Pop music in history so let's not with the victim card.

The rest of mess you wrote is giving me ThatOtherThing teas. :sigh:

Who gives a fuck about those first 4? Rolling Stone? Really? No.

10 people on the board? And? Like they have a say so over the total public opinion. And unless you can name these "whole bunch of other people" they don't really matter now do they? :coffee:

Who gives a fuck about your opinion? :coffee:

Invincible received generally mixed reviews from contemporary music critics. At Metacritic, which assigns a normalised rating out of 100 to reviews from mainstream critics, the album received an average score of 51 based on 19 reviews, which indicates "mixed or average reviews".[30] Stephen Thomas Erlewine, a writer for Allmusic, gave the album three out of five stars, commenting that Invincible had a "spark" and "sound better than anything Jackson has done since Dangerous [in 1991]."[1] Erlewine noted that while the album had good material it was "not enough to make Invincible the comeback Jackson needed - he really would have had to have an album that sounded free instead of constrained for that to work - but it does offer a reminder that he can really craft good pop."[1] James Hunter, a writer for Rolling Stone, gave Invincible three out of five stars noted that the album's later ballads made the record too long.[9] While Christgau felt some material was "offensive", he described the albums first three tracks as being the "Rodney Jerkins of the year" adding that he did not "believe the [album's] hype matters".[23] David Browne, a writer for Entertainment Weekly, rated the album a "C-" commenting that Invincible is Jackson's "first album since Off the Wall that offers virtually no new twists" but remarked that the album "feels like an anthology of his less-than-greatest hits".[10] In a retrospective 2004 review, Jon Pareles for Rolling Stone gave Invincible one out of five stars, writing "Only allowing himself one anti-tabloid song, he tried to play the gentle, adoring lover and concentrated on ballads. But three decades after he had first charmed the world, his old suavity was gone, and all that was left was grim calculation".[31]

The universal belief is that Invincible doesn't hold up the way the other albums do. :coffee:

What? :mellow::wacko:

The critics dragged MJ by his lacefront in 2001 over the trash that is Invincible. :lmao: and these same critics are the ones that rate most of his songs as some of the best Pop music in history so let's not with the victim card.

The rest of mess you wrote is giving me ThatOtherThing teas. :sigh:

EXACTLY. Every time something goes wrong with Michael Jackson or somebody doesn't like something - they're quick to pull out the victim card for us to feel pity. I don't give a fuck. The album was horrendous. I can barely sit through it. :mellow:

So you expect me to sit here and take your opinion as GOLD over reputable news sources because you have an idea that they were being bias? Where's your receipts? :mellow:

Post full reviews, not just excerpts and it PLAINLY obvious that most of those reviews (if not all) spend 85% of the review critiquing the man, his image, and NOT the actual music.

The bias literally jumps out at you.

Hell, it's obvious in most of those excerpts the critics centered more so on "Michael Jackson" and not the music.

Archived