Nelly Calls Out Universal/Motown Over Poor Handling Of 'Nelly 5.0'

TwistedElegance™

Nelly had a big hit this year with “Just a Dream,” but has his comeback stalled out already? His album 5.0 arrived at No. 10 on last week’s Billboard 200 albums chart after selling an underwhelming 63,000 copies in its first week. The rapper thinks his label, Universal Motown, is partly to blame for the album’s weak performance.

“A record deal is a 50/50 partnership!” Nelly wrote on Twitter this weekend. “As a artist its your job to provide the record company with music that they (record company) can sell! Thing about the partnership is that n the public eye the responsibility is not 50/50! the artist is always the 1 who catches 90% of the blame.”

He went on to criticize the label for not promoting the album or providing retailers with enough copies. “If u only ship [200,000 copies] of an album how many are u f—ing tryen to sell?? 5.0 Every1 luvs da album n say its crazy! So wen u hear folks say they didnt no it was out r there were hardly any n the store! WTF?”

Universal Motown has not commented in response. What do you think of Nelly’s complaints? Did you buy 5.0? Whose fault are the low sales?

http://music-mix.ew.com/2010/11/29/nelly-5-0-sales/

Fair point.

and of the 200,000 shipped (probably mostly ship to larger markets) only 63,000 were bought...Nelly needs to understand that his time has passed...and with that wack ass album he made, no, his ass didn't do his part in bringing the label music they could sell....lets not act like these labels don't do some research on these things...they know how much these artists are likely to sell...63,000 that was sold probably just covers the freight cost of shipping those 200,000.....and how were his itunes sales?

He can come take out his frustrations on me. :shifty:

Even if they shipped a million, it's not like a million was going to sell. Labels ship based on demand. Nelly just isn't "in" right now and I think he needs to understand that. Also, albums aren't selling like they once were. He just needs to sit back and look pretty for the time being.

And did he even promote the damn thing? :umm:

He can come take out his frustrations on me. :shifty:

Even if they shipped a million, it's not like a million was going to sell. Labels ship based on demand. Nelly just isn't "in" right now and I think he needs to understand that. Also, albums aren't selling like they once were. He just needs to sit back and look pretty for the time being.

And did he even promote the damn thing? :umm:

yeah... but there was no buzz...

I hear that song on the white pop station all the time... it was a hit... however he needed an urban single too.... maybe something with drake or fab...

He just needed some buzz should have been on features before coming out with an album to get the public used to him again...

Ummm that was his only single... and urban radio played it a lot more... hence his success on HipHip charts

he doesn't have a song with Drake or Fab on his album

i agree with the 2nd line.. but others know that Nelly isn't hot anymore.. haven't been since 2006