Eleven of Janet Jackson's best songs that didn't go No. 1

Reyna ♔

I seriously agree with the list. Source: http://www.mlive.com/music/index.ssf/2011/08/eleven_of_janet_jacksons_best.html

On Tuesday night, Janet Jackson brings her "Number Ones: Up Close and Personal" tour to Detroit's Fox Theatre, where she'll perform all of her greatest hits.

Literally, all of them. The "Number Ones" tour is named after her greatest hits of the same name; it's a compilation of 34 Jackson tunes that hit No. 1 on various music charts.

Tomorrow night, Jackson is guaranteed to stick to the set list with "Nasty," "What Have You Done For Me Lately," "Miss You Much," "I Get Lonely," "Feedback," "That's the Way Love Goes" and other such hits. That all said, Jackson has plenty of album cuts that she rarely performs live or low-charting gems overlooked in conversations about her discography. Here's a rundown of eleven of Jackson's tunes that she might want to consider in her next tour outing.

1. "Feels So Right" from "All For You": Known around Detroit and Chicago as the "Janet Jackson hustle song," this song has become a staple at barbecues, family gatherings, clubs and on urban adult contemporary radio.

2. "Curtains" from "Discipline": No other production team drew the best from Jackson like Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis, but Rodney Jerkins comes at a very close second. This song has an unfortunate placement on the "Discipline" album, right after the messy, ridiculous title track that turns off more than arouses.[Didn't really agree with the title track shade. The title track is one of the best songs on the album imo :umm: ]

3. "Go Deep" from "The Velvet Rope": Fun fact about this video: The directors, Jonathan Dayton and Valerie Faris, would go on to direct "Little Miss Sunshine." Fun fact about this song: Jackson expressed interest in working with Aaliyah after Missy Elliott and Timbaland remixed this track, but the collaboration never panned out.

4. "I Want You" from "Damita Jo": Kanye West's production credits for female R&B singers are underrated. His biggest hit in this style was Alicia Keys' "You Don't Know My Name," but this Jackson track and Brandy's "Talk About Our Love" were also fruits from that era that don't get the respect they deserve.

5. "R&B Junkie" from "Damita Jo": The "Damita Jo" era was compromised by the Super Bowl incident, but there's no doubt that this would have charted well had there been a video with Jackson performing all the dances mentioned in the song.

6. "Luv" from "Discipline": During the promotion of "Discipline," both Jackson and L.A. Reid, then-president of Island Def Jam, went on record to say that all promotion of the album had been halted. "Luv" had been climbing the R&B charts at the time, but stalled at No. 34 at the time of the announcement.

7. "Together Again (Jimmy Jam Deep Remix)" from "The Velvet Rope": Oh, how we miss the days when remixes weren't just dubstep breaks and a rap verse added to push an already overplayed song to the top of the charts. The original "Together Again" did hit No. 1, and video was filmed for the slower, "deeper" remix of the cut. But the midtempo, "deep" remix is a standout on its own.

8. "Twenty Foreplay" from "Design of a Decade": At the time when this video was filmed, Jackson was gunning to play Dorothy Dandridge in a biopic of her life. That didn't pan out, and neither did this song's success on the charts.[i love for this song. No lie. Plus, her in the video makes me swoon everytime :wub: ]

9. "Funny How Time Flies (When You're Having Fun)" from "Control": Jackson's most popular unpopular song. It was never released as a single in the United States, but you can't turn on an R&B station after 10 p.m. without hearing this at least once.

10. "Love and My Best Friend" from "Janet Jackson": An album cut from Jackson's first album that was released, but didn't chart at all. Sounds a lot like "Ben," doesn't it?

11. "Do It 2 Me" from "20 Y.O.": The full version of this song isn't anywhere on the Web, most likely because of the number of people involved in making this song. Jackson sings, then-boyfriend Jermaine Dupri produces, and it samples Brenda Russell's "If Only For One Night." Incidentally, Dupri sampled Luther Vandross' version when he produced Bow Wow and Omarion's "Let Me Hold You" just before this, and Terror Squad's "Take Me Home" samples Roberta Flack and Peabo Bryson's version; both of these songs previously charting probably hampered this underrated cut from being released from the underperforming "20 Y.O." If you don't have the album, listening to the full version of "Do It 2 Me" is worth it.[i LOVE the beginning of this song. This beat is seriously sick. :excited: ]

FSR is very popular in the stepping circles, so it would make since that it would rank high in Detroit, where stepping is very popular. Not to mention her vocals are very lovely on that track.

i found vids of ppl doin line dancing to it.

i actually like the track. its a cute mellow groove. :thumbup:

Archived