Remembering Aaliyah, 10 years later (1979 - 2001)

art

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:lmao::lmao: He handled all them bitches and didn't look back.

Ugh, I wish I could have been there for that blogtalk. I would have kiii'ed for days.

Here's the whole show: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/freakum/2010/08/20/queen-beyonce-you-mad

This is the show that started it all: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/kevnkoolerz/2010/08/20/beysus-reigns

chile plz... let's not compare death threads

I already did. You mad?

yes chile!

stop creating drama bubu

ur trying to start something thats not there

we know ur lil act

You definitely don't want to talk about acts :umm:

Anyway.

Aaliyah was always one of my favourite artists EVER. I can't even begin to describe what I loved about her. Her style. Her grace. Her sultry voice. Her smooth moves.

She was only 22. Twenty two. That's how old I am now. To die this young is just...not right. I know death is inevitable but people should die in their old age...not at the start of their lives. I'm just happy that Aaliyah managed to achieve all her dreams before she passed away. In 22 years she accomplished more than people do in a life time.

I don't want to harp on and on about her passing because it'll just make me sad. What I will so is state some Aaliyah 'trivia' for you all (about myself).

Fave Aaliyah moment? Her performance at the Oscars which I believe made her the youngest African American (and person) EVER to perform at the Oscars at the time. Though clearly nervous I thought she did a remarkable job.

Fave single? Are You That Somebody. I just remember the video always playing on The Box. It was a very prominent song in my late 90s childhood.

Fave Video? We Need A Resolution. It's just...wow! It was dark and sexy.

Fave non-single song? Never Givin' Up. This song is hypnotic. It's soothing. Healing. I adore it.

Fave album? Aaliyah.

Here's a poem I wrote a while ago.

Needle in hay

Diamond in the sand

Cinderella of today

They still fail to understand

You did it before them

Yet still no credit

Yet from you they stem

But don’t worry, history books are impossible to edit

Awesome

Amazing

Loving

Inspirational

Yearning

Admirable

Heartwarming

Never fail to make us smile

Making us feel like a million dollars

With your striking voice and virtuous persona

All I want to do is hug you

But it hurts knowing I can’t

Nonetheless, I feel your angel eyes staring down at me, them…us.

All of us

Ten years gone.

Yes it still hurts

But with each day passing

I learn to hold on to your every memory

Cherish them.

Console them.

Share them.

Love them.

You did it all

Light sultry harmonies on rough thumping bass.

Strong powerful delivery on easy soothing sitars

8 years on and still shitting on the game

Timbaland never created magic quite the same

Not like other divas

Never sold out your soul

Never over-saturated us

Your music is built on trust.

Bopping heads at every sight

Listening to your music all night

No one can deny

The oozing delight you supplied

One in a million

A supernova amongst standard stars

It's OK that you left us to join the rest above

One day I know you'll reunite with us

And take your rightful place on the throne

I'm fine with the fact you left us

Because now you can jam up above

With the others who have blessed us

With their superb talents and so much more

So I'll sit in my room and bump with your every groove

And wait for the moment when I can join Michael, Luther, James and you.

Awesome

Amazing

Loving

Inspirational

Yearning

Admirable

Heartwarming

Forever Aaliyah.

Ciara: “She was true to who she was and she didn’t seem to care about it. The core of her art to me is heavily, heavily urban based. When an artist’s music is so urban based, sometimes people like to take risks with artists like that. When you think about it, it really is pop, it really is cultural and that’s the one thing that I thought was cool about her music. It never felt like she was trying to reach across or do anything more than just keep that cool, soulful, heavy urban core about it. It wasn’t like she was trying to be anything more than who she was. I really respect that and I appreciate that”.

JoJo: “My manager’s best friend, Gina Smith, was on the plane with Aaliyah and passed away as well. The fact that it has been 10 years is wild to me. I feel Aaliyah’s presence and influence quite heavily. She accomplished so much at a young age and paved the way for artists like myself. If it were not for what she had trail blazed, I would probably not have been afforded certain opportunities. She really proved that ‘Age Aint Nothing But A Number,’ and that as young people, we are allowed to have personalities and opinions and voices and make an impact.Her vocal delivery was unique. The combination of her angelic vocals over harder-hitting production was so special. She set trends through fashion, music, and the atmosphere that she created. Even before Beyoncé, she had music, fashion, and acting on lock. She and her team (including Jomo Hankerson, who I work closely with) helped show us that there are no boundaries in entertainment”.

Monica: “The first time I met her, she was extremely quiet. You [weren't] going to get a lot of words out of Aaliyah in a first meeting. It takes a lot of time for her to warm up to people overall because she had this shyness. I remember her being shocked at things I would say out loud, whether it was in interviews or when we were hanging out. She would always be gasping for air at some of the things that I would say out loud. Whenever I was around, if I saw something, whatever it was, she would just be in shock like, ‘I can’t believe you just said that out loud.’I think it’s good for people to know the side of her outside of the music and know that her music was a great reflection of her. Sometimes people are totally different than the image they represent, but what I love about her is that everything that you saw was really her. When the lights and the cameras were off, that same pleasant, mild mannered, sweet personality, that’s just how she was. She loved to laugh. Jokes with her and Missy [Elliott] were beyond what people imagine. Missy is definitely the ultimate jokester. I’ve never seen her in the type of turmoil and pain that she was in after Aaliyah passed because there’s no replacing the type of love and friendship that her and Missy had. It was the type of closeness where even when I see Missy today I always feel like something is missing from her and that is definitely Aaliyah”.

Keyshia Cole: “When I found out that she [had] past that night, I just cried [while] on the tour bus. That’s amazing for someone to have that affect on other people’s lives.I think why it affected me so much without me knowing her is because she seemed to have a beautiful soul. [There was] something about her spirit. She connected before reality TV, before any of that happened in our era. It was something about her that made you connect to her. She seemed like she had a beautiful soul”.

Archived