Remembering Aaliyah, 10 years later (1979 - 2001)

art

Remembering Aaliyah, 10 years later

t1larg.aaliyah.jpg

(CNN) -- It's been a decade since the tragic death of R&B star and budding actress Aaliyah Dana Haughton.

Just 22 years old at the time of her death, she was in the Bahamas heading back to the States after wrapping up her 2001 music video, "Rock The Boat."

The twin-engine plane crashed shortly after takeoff. Aboard were Aaliyah and eight others -- including her hair stylist, Eric Forman, makeup artists Anthony Dodd and Christopher Maldonado, security guard Scott Gallin, video producer Douglas Kratz, Blackground Records employees Keith Wallace and Gina Smith, and the pilot, Luis Morales III. In an instant their lives and Aaliyah's promising career were gone.

Born in Brooklyn and raised in Detroit, she quickly garnered a fan base in the early '90s with her original take on R&B music. Working with industry greats like Missy Elliott, Timbaland, R. Kelly and more, she topped the charts with a slew of hits, including "Back & Forth," "Age Ain't Nothin' But a Number," "Are You That Somebody" and "We Need A Resolution".

Aaliyah's standout fashion sense made her a hot commodity among the fashion crowd: She modeled for Tommy Hilfiger, who showcased her tomboy appeal -- baggy jeans and a tight-fitting shirt -- and was featured on the covers of many magazines with that trendsetting hair swoop over her left eye.

Her influence on the music game is still relevant today. She has inspired artists from singer-rapper Drake to pop superstar Beyonce. Ciara, who is best known for her singing and dancing moves, has an Aaliyah-inspired stage presence and dressing style.

Singer-songwriter Tank, who worked closely with Aaliyah on her last two albums, spoke with Concrete Loop earlier this year about where she would be right now if she were alive. "She would be at the top and there would probably be a few people who wouldn't have careers," he said.

If you think about it, she was already on top. At the time of her death, she had three top-selling albums under her belt, many nominations and awards and was slated to have a big role in "The Matrix Reloaded" and "Matrix Revolution" movies.

She had just completed her work on the film, "Queen of The Damned" and was already being sought after for other movie roles. Not to mention, she had a solid and loyal fan base. However, the rest of her journey to superstardom just wasn't meant to be.

A month before her untimely death, Aaliyah granted MTV's show "Diary" behind-the-scenes access to her fast-paced life and said, "I am truly blessed to wake up every morning to do something that I love; there is nothing better than that."

She continued, "Everything is worth it -- the hard work, the times when you're tired, the times when you are a bit sad. In the end, it's all worth it because it really makes me happy. I wouldn't trade it for anything else in the world. I've got good friends, a beautiful family and I've got a career. I thank God for his blessings every single chance I get."

So, on August 25, blast Aaliyah's timeless music loud and remember her for being a trendsetting force in fashion and for helping to redefine and take R&B music to another level.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/SHOWBIZ/Music/08/24/aaliyah.10.years.later.laws/

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BET Pays Tribute To Aaliyah With "Aaliyah: One In A Million"

On the 10-year anniversary of her passing, friends and family share personal stories of the late star in this one-hour special.

On August 25, 2011, it will be ten years since the passing of one of R&B's brightest stars. BET will pay tribute to Aaliyah Dana Haughton with the one-hour special, "Aaliyah: One In A Million" airing on Thursday, August 25 at 8PM. The show takes a look at the life and the short-lived career of Aaliyah with never before seen behind-the-scenes footage and intimate conversations with the family and friends that knew her best.

A number of people were interviewed for the special, including Missy Elliott, Timbaland, and Ginuwine, who were friends of Aaliyah and worked closely with her, Damon Dash, her boyfriend at the time of her death, Swizz Beatz, Lala Anthony, and Patti LaBelle. The show tells the story of Aaliyah, an R&B singer/actress with a golden voice, memorable dance moves and a style all her own, from the beginning of her promising career until her untimely death.

“With Aaliyah: One In A Million, we celebrate her life, her music and what she meant to so many,” Stephen Hill, BET’s President of Music Programming and Specials, said in a statement. “Aaliyah was a beautiful angel and we’re so glad that we were able to assemble her friends and loved ones for this unique show.”

Don't miss this one-hour special, "Aaliyah: One In A Million" on Thursday, August 25 at 8PM.

Her influence on the music game is still relevant today. She has inspired artists from singer-rapper Drake to pop superstar Beyonce. Ciara, who is best known for her singing and dancing moves, has an Aaliyah-inspired stage presence and dressing style.

tumblr_lo3lg4P3KF1qd8nya.gif

I'll record it. -_-

I remember when it all went down. I was in the military down in Fort Hood, TX. We were in the dining facility and of course the tv was on CNN. At the bottom of the screen, it was scrolling that Aaliyah had passed away. But they had misspelled her name and I was like, naw it's not true. I called my best friend and he was like, yeah, she had died. I was shocked, saddened, and frustrated. She was so young and had a promising career. She was on her way. I know some feel that she didn't make that much of an impact, but I think she did just enough for her to still get attention to this day. You are missed babygirl. -_-

I hate they never released that album of songs they said they had lined up for release. They were gonna take unfinished songs and have various artists fill in the parts that she didnt finish.

I think Barry Hankerson's shady ass has something to do with Li's unreleased work being shut down. I mean, her stans have been perched for 10 years with no unreleased music, rare footage and etc. SMDH.

I read that Diane said that they can't release music or support any tributes due to "legalities".

I think Barry Hankerson's shady ass has something to do with Li's unreleased work being shut down. I mean, her stans have been perched for 10 years with no unreleased music, rare footage and etc. SMDH.

I read that Diane said that they can't release music or support any tributes due to "legalities".

Well that would be fucked up if Barry is the reason why we haven't gotten anything considering he is apart of their family. If her immediate family doesn't mind then why does Barry? :blink:

He's always the main one talking about keeping her legacy alive. :wacko:

I cant believe its been 10 years either. I dont cry when I hear about somebody dying, but when I learned that she passed away I couldnt help but shed a tear. That shit really hurt my heart and I wasnt right for about a month. I really really admired Aaliyah. She really brought me out of my shell when I was in highschool bc I was a army brat from Berlin, Germany trying to relate to these country negroes in Atlanta and admiring Aaliyah was the one thing we had in common. I used to tell people that I was the guy in the One In A Million videos and I actually had them fools believing me. :sigh: I still keep up with that lie today. :asham:

I'll record it. -_-

I remember when it all went down. I was in the military down in Fort Hood, TX. We were in the dining facility and of course the tv was on CNN. At the bottom of the screen, it was scrolling that Aaliyah had passed away. But they had misspelled her name and I was like, naw it's not true. I called my best friend and he was like, yeah, she had died. I was shocked, saddened, and frustrated. She was so young and had a promising career. She was on her way. I know some feel that she didn't make that much of an impact, but I think she did just enough for her to still get attention to this day. You are missed babygirl. -_-

I was living with my sister at the time and I heard about it while watching MTV late that night and when I saw that shit scroll down the bottom of the screen, I immediately went on the internact to see if it was true...AND WHEN I FOUND OUT THAT IT WAS... :mellow: ...I woke my sister up and I was shaking hysterically and crying :blink: ..my sister didnt know what the f*ck was goin on. She calmed me down and took her ass back to bed. Ol cold blooded bitch :rolleyes:

I was living with my sister at the time and I heard about it while watching MTV late that night and when I saw that shit scroll down the bottom of the screen, I immediately went on the internact to see if it was true...AND WHEN I FOUND OUT THAT IT WAS... :mellow: ...I woke my sister up and I was shaking hysterically and crying :blink: ..my sister didnt know what the f*ck was goin on. She calmed me down and took her ass back to bed. Ol cold blooded bitch :rolleyes:

:lmao::lmao: I can't with you sometimes.. :lmao:

Yes, me and my Soldiers were in SHOCK. We couldn't believe it. It was just a sad time. People were calling my phone asking if I was ok. I was like, yeah..I think this was around the time when I was gonna purchase my ticket to see Janet in Dallas..but the call of duty made me miss her..

Archived