What are your problems with the DJ-Discipline albums?

---

People seem to hate on these albums, the most. What are your problems with them? Some even hate on A4U, but I still think get it's a pass coz there are some great moments on that album (and didnt really flop like the rest)

I know we've discussed all this stuff before, but I feel like doing it again, in one thread asham.gif

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DJ - I love this album. It makes me happy and giddy inside :)

20 YO - I've always been harsh with this. I just think it's too 'ghetto'.

Discipline - too weak. I like it for what it is but it pales in comparison to her previous works.

I love DJ. It's a pretty solid album, minus a couple of fillers.

I loved 20 Y.O. at the time, but it has lost its initial appeal. I think I was just excited about it cuz it was Janet.

Discipline was mediocre. The album is somewhat appealing, but it's too... I dunno. Overproduced. Lacking that Janet touch.

I guess I'm in the minority but I love all three albums, probably Discipline the least of the three, but there's still a lot of songs on there that I like. I think because each album has a lot of upbeat songs, which I love Janet for, but is let down by those sex songs which there were a lot less of on previous albums. I know it's just sex and all that, but I don't enjoy hearing Janet moaning and simulating orgasm tbh :umm:

[quote name=Selita Jo ^_^' timestamp='1317233268' post='244475]

I guess I'm in the minority but I love all three albums, probably Discipline the least of the three, but there's still a lot of songs on there that I like. I think because each album has a lot of upbeat songs, which I love Janet for, but is let down by those sex songs which there were a lot less of on previous albums. I know it's just sex and all that, but I don't enjoy hearing Janet moaning and simulating orgasm tbh :umm:

Damita Jo- If you remove “My Baby” &”Truly” & replace it with “Could This Be Love” & its good enough for me. Overall though it could be a little bit more ambitious & had some stronger single choices.

20 Y.O.- JD was only good for “Do It 2 Me“ & “Call on Me: & JJ/ TL only was really need for “Enjoy” & “Rollwitchu” (which I'm assuming they did & should have been on the album instead of a bonus) The rest of the tracks felt bland, uninspired & like she didn't wanna do it.

Discipline- had small potential of what could have been a better album than 20 Y.O., but it had its own set of faults as well. I feel like for this album if each track was produced by someone different, it could have worked a little better. The best songs that came from it imo were “Luv”, & “Rock With U”

Aside from that, one of my biggest pet peeves (& this generally applies to anyone) is the text messages titles like (EX: “2Nite”, “The 1”, “Greatest X”)

The thing that disappoints me the most is that 20 Y.O. and Discipline had excellent concepts with great potential.

The whole "classic me with a modern twist" for the 20th anniversary could have been AMAZING if she had actually set out to execute that "classic me" sound. Instead, she hands over the reigns to the hood rat. :umm:

I loved the idea of Discipline being an extension of Control. The title alone got me excited when it was announced. I was expecting some epic shit, but instead we got some watered down Janet. :umm:

So again, 20 Y.O. + Discipline = great concepts that were poorly executed.

DJ - poor vocals, doesn't have much depth, missing key elements of a standard Janet album, a little too much sex

20 Y.O. - poor vocals, so-so songs, that whole R&B/Hip-Hop blend isn't Janet's style

Discipline - poor vocals, has filler, contains some of the worst songs Janet has ever recorded

* I love Damita Jo, it was a grower for me and it's now one of my favorites. ^_^ I love the vibe; it makes a perfect laid-back, summer album.

* 20 Y.O. I admit could've been better with maybe more variety ("Clap Your Hands" :cry:), but it's still a very enjoyable listen (no pun intended :P)

* Discipline had a lot of good moments, but it doesn't feel as personal. IOW I wish she had picked up the pen. -_-

DJ - A very slow moving album. And I really hate the fact how she became so reliant on her sexuality. I don't mind janet having a sexual song here and there, but it was doing too much in the department. That shows insecurity and regression.

20YO - Bad vocals with mediocre writing/production.

Discipline - Too many cooks spoiled the soup. It had promise at some parts but has no real direction.

Damita Jo- Honestly dont have a problem with this album at all (besides the fact Just a little while could've been completely replaced with Love Me for a Little while, like I think thats a MUCH better song) Love the vocals throughout the album, except on My baby...Idk why but I was never a huge fan of My baby, like I like it but I'd replace that with another cut track too. But I honestly like this album as much if not more than All for you.

20 Y.O. its too 1 track, too hip hop, with the exception of Enjoy, Take Care, & Days Go by. Its not mixed enough. Like theres only hints of pop & soul. I commend her for doing something different, but the quality of most of the songs could've used a boost

Discipline- No exageration, its my least fave album, and thats including JJ & Dream Street. Theres maybe 6 songs I love, but still over all, most of the album seems like filler, and demo's. LOW on quality, very LOW

ki @ Austin's poor vocals

DJ - A very slow moving album. And I really hate the fact how she became so reliant on her sexuality. I don't mind janet having a sexual song here and there, but it was doing too much in the department. That shows insecurity and regression.

I give u a +1 for this comment. Very well saidThat album cover says it all

I really find it hard to just play this album... i just pick out the songs I like.

Ummmmmmmmmmmmm

Hate to break it to u, but ive probably had more sex than anyone on this bloody board

lets keep it real

just because i love the sex songs, doesnt mean i need it

and its not even about that... i used to hate the songs... but now i like it.. theyve grown on me

u probably hate em coz u aint getting any.. they rattle u

All that from a sentence? I musta touched a nerve ;)

No, dear

I was waiting for your response, and waiting for your flop, cliched, expected reply

Im used to those standard replies

The only nerve u touched was that its just so stupid, and unintelligent and ignorant, that i cant deal with it

got nothing to do with my personal life

i just have a low tolerance for stupidity

Ignorance!..No!

And apparently cant take a joke since I was just pulling your leg. Calm down mate, seriously.

Archived