What are your problems with the DJ-Discipline albums?

---

DJ - I understood the direction but the execution failed. Not strong enough to make it a memorable album.

20YO - I liked the idea of fusing old "hard hitting" Janet with a modern twist but again just didn't seem to find its place of relevance.

Disc - Simple,NO SIGN of "Janet" anywhere with the exception of "Feedback". Her writing was needed. W/o...this could have been anyones album.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Damita Jo - Good for the bedroom and relaxing. There are no hits on the album.

20 Y.O. - Decent album, but "This Body", "Show Me", and "Daybreak" could have been replaced with the bonus tracks.

Discipline - The vocals, lyrics, and production weren't up to standard.

Yeh, u and ur "jokes"

You know what? I can't be arsed with you. You should know from PMing me what I'm really like, so why are you making out that I'm being malicious towards you? I think you need to quit being so paranoid all the time and jumping on people.

[quote name=Selita Jo ^_^' timestamp='1317366801' post='245593]

You know what? I can't be arsed with you. You should know from PMing me what I'm really like, so why are you making out that I'm being malicious towards you? I think you need to quit being so paranoid all the time and jumping on people.

It wasn't meant to be abusive!! Seriously, I can't be responsible for you not accepting that I was mucking around. And I'm getting tired of you thinking you know me well enough to TELL me I wasn't. That having been said I am sorry I upset you.

Damita Jo collectively isn't that bad. It's pretty much a more expanded version of All For You in my eyes. If it wasn't for the Superbowl, it probably would have been a success. It still fit the discography. It had great songs ("All Nite," "I Want You," "SloLove") and still showed some growth in terms of production and being more daring musically.

20 Y.O. was just complete garbage. It didn't fit the initial idea of the project. Although there was sampling of classic 80's records, it didn't celebrate Control. It almost disfigured it. No record on that album is considered classic Janet in my eyes. It's barely listenable sometimes. Jermaine Dupri taking over was a mistake from the beginning. For the celebration of 20 years, it felt as if Janet was trying to compete with the girls who listened to her album as kids. I just couldn't agree with this project.

Discipline wasn't bad at first. It's still not a horrible album. It's probably what I would have wanted if Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis did it altogether. But instead, there were so many producers brought in that it had more mixed results. It's a great pop album, but only a decent Janet album.

DJ - Love this album, always will :wub:. It really felt like a natural progression from A4U. This is the first time she used varied producers and I think it worked. Replace My Baby & Warmth with What Can I Say or Put Your Hands On and it would have been DYNAMITE!!!

20YO - initiatlly I hated it but Ive grown to just like it for what it is. With how the DJ project went we were all expecting some to pull a killer punch but it didnt deliver. Some of my fav interludes though! Overall, i still think its better than...

Discipline - really doesnt feel like a Janet album. The ballads ( :& ) alone tell you that. FB, RWU and CBG save this from being her 2nd worse album.

*Sigh* I always feel like I'm the only Janet stan that likes/luvs 20 YO.....

Hey I love 20 Y.0., its just not 1 of my faves, but truth be told, even a Janet album I like the most (Discipline) gets 3/5 stars. She's my favorite singer, even if the songs arent great I LOVE her voice (yea that includes the whispering, love the sanging voice more, but I appreciate the whispering too with certain songs). Its like I said when we were talking about making our own Janet greatest hits album, majority of the songs with her voice, I love, we're talking maybe 90% of her songs, entire catalog, I love in a way (not like). But I can tell quality, and to me 20 Y.O. dont have enough to be 1 of my faves. But for what it is, a Janet album, I love it. :)

Damita Jo - Good for the bedroom and relaxing. There are no hits on the album.

That's how I used to feel, but I think "I Want You" and "ANDS" could have been bona fide hits if everything had gone smoothly after the AFY era. No, they're not as hooky as most of her hits, but they are very period-correct. They define 2004's pop/R&B sound, and they still sound fresh now, too.

That's how I used to feel, but I think "I Want You" and "ANDS" could have been bona fide hits if everything had gone smoothly after the AFY era. No, they're not as hooky as most of her hits, but they are very period-correct. They define 2004's pop/R&B sound, and they still sound fresh now, too.

Thats what I always said, Damita Jo fit in perfectly to what was hott in 2004, especially All Nite, I know too god damn well that if it werent for the SB incident, All Nite would've at least went top 5.

To me all three albums feel as though they were too much about the producers. Janet got lost a bit. I can still play all of them without skipping a track, but only because it's her.

I agree I wish I could play them all without skipping tracks but....My baby, Love 2 Love, & Greatest Ex are very avoidable for me lol. I can honestly say I dont like those songs. But seriously those are like 1 song from each album, so its no biggie. But I agree with it being more about the producers, and what the album means instead of the quality of the actual music on the albums.

I agree I wish I could play them all without skipping tracks but....My baby, Love 2 Love, & Greatest Ex are very avoidable for me lol. I can honestly say I dont like those songs. But seriously those are like 1 song from each album, so its no biggie. But I agree with it being more about the producers, and what the album means instead of the quality of the actual music on the albums.

That's indicative of the industry this past decade, though. Mariah and Madonna have suffered the same on some of their albums too. I'm the most curious I think I've ever been regarding Janet's next release.

And now that time has passed, I barely, if ever, play Discipline. I play a few tracks here and there, but that album wasn't a "Janet album." I remember when it leaked and some overzealous fan was proclaiming it to be the best album she ever released. I waited until the release and I knew to temper my expectations, but most of the songs were okay, but now that the novelty has long worn off, it hardly gets any play.

Archived