Male R&B & Pop singers

LyricalLesson

I don't see much discussion on here about them. Not too long ago, I created a thread about male R&B singers, and how generally -- they kinda suck :asham: but this time I'm going to try and not sound like a hater.

Why is it that these guys just can't get a buzz like the current females on top at the moment? In recent memory, the only male singers that have been able to get a huge buzz were Bruno Mars, Usher and Justin Timberlake. Whereas the females have had Lady Gaga, Beyonce, Rihanna, Katy Perry, Ke$ha, Britney Spears, Nelly Furtado, Kelly Clarkson etc, their male counterparts have floundered.

This is particularly disheartening to me, because I would one day like to become a successful singer. Granted, there is an obvious lack of vocal talent going around with these guys ( I will avoid naming names :coffee: ) -- but the same could be said about a number of the females in the game. What is it that the ladies are doing that the guys aren't?

Is it music quality?

Is it gimmicks?

Is it lack of talent?

Is it lack of hard work?

I'm curious.

On a lighter note, I don't know if you've noticed, but lately I've been singing R&B singer Miguel's praises for the past month or so now. This is a fine representation of a spectacular male singer that should be much bigger than he is right now. He released a FLAWLESS record, he's a very talented vocalist & writer. I've enjoyed his record MORE than ANYTHING ELSE released this year. Frank Ocean is another guy on the upswing -- great artist! And as previously mentioned, Bruno Mars looks as if he's here to stay.

Why is there a lack of discussion about male singers these days? It's all about the diva wars :rolleyes::lol:

I'd like your opinion on this matter, PJ forum. Enlighten me. Go into depth if you'd like, I've got allllll night :)

With the women in the game, I feel fans & especially stans are MUCH for catty. Reason probably being, some of us girls sometimes give our HARSH opinions about the others. Like Raty Perry can't sing for shit. Fleanna has the stage presence of a cardboard box and the vocal prowess of Lambchop. "ELDdonna dances? Oh, That looks like jazzercise." ShitKnee Spears will forever be the "alternate", stiff lessor of Janet. So on & so on.

& That bring THEIR stans in for an all out war about who can sing, who shits on who, yada yada. This cycle is repeated on the daily.

With the guys.....IDK we're just easy-breezy about them. Probably because, with girls now-a-days, we like the sex appeal. Their voices can sound like the reincarnation of Mr. Ed, but as long as they're sexy & can dry hump the floor like no tomorrow, they're halfway in. We'll ogle them to no end, but just won't stan for them or their music. There are the rare cases where the guy is sexy, can sang down, has great music, great attitude, perform his ass off & give us complete LIFE! :wub:

Regardless, today it's just hard as hell getting your foot in the door as a new artist. Your shit HAS to be on point ie. Frank Ocean or you can just be a studio puppet like Rhi or Brit.

This may sound a mess as I'm tired but can't get to sleep :(

Granted, there is an obvious lack of vocal talent going around with these guys ( Chris Brown & Goat Wrongz :coffee: ) --

U SHADY bitch

haha2.gif

I feel for one, it is all about the diva wars. We've had tons of those for generations now.

2. Though all the girls copy from the same people, we get at least minor variety with them.

3. All the guys are basically MJ demos or Prince demos. They use many of the same things and it gets old fast now.

4. 85% of vocal talent is non-existent and basically 100% of the dancing and 100% of the writing is non-existent.

5. They don't seem to take the industry serious in the slightest. The girls hardly do themselves, but it's more obvious with the guys. They all want the girls, the cars, the clothes, the houses, and they will use that 1% of talent they have to get that and once they get it in some form, to hell with the music. Then you read about them 10 years later on TMZ with petty crime charges and a photo of them that looks like their homeless. (that last bit.... :whistle:)

So yeah, these are some of my thoughts :lol:

I think a lot of it comes down to perception. Having a strong online presence means we're subject to stan wars and the like, most of which don't concern male artists. There's obviously been a shift in the last few years, though. Also, the current crop of male R&B/Pop artists are too damn similar. Jay Sean, Taio Cruz, Jason Derülo etc. are all the one person, and their songs are pretty much remixes of each other's last hit. The only male R&B/Pop artist to really grab my attention in the last couple of years is Bruno Mars and that's because he's managed to carve his own lane out of a pretty tired genre. He's nothing original, but the quality of his work easily towers above his peers.

And just on Frank Ocean and Miguel, they're also two of my fav artists right now, but what they're doing isn't enough to go global, therefore they won't be discussed, praised, or dissected like the girls.

I enjoy Maxwell, Lloyd, Miguel, Jay Sean, and Bruno Mars. I don't find most male singers out right now to be interesting. There are either too many similarities to someone else in sound or something about their image puts me off.

R.Kelly, Usher, Chris Brown, and Trey Songz are the top dogs in R&B, but they are extremely repetitive and predictable to me.

To me...they don't have much range. Women and Prince can do the whole octave stuff and sing in different ranges. Men can't so much cos they either have that deep voice and then go falsetto. Plus they stay singing about sex and women :rolleyes:. Quite often they lack soul and emotion too. That's why I fucks with Michael, Marvin and Stevie cos they went there with social stuff - not about being trapped in some mouldy damp closet or an empty side of the bed.

They all can sing the same song and no one would know the difference.

Bruno and Miguel are the only two that sound different from everyone else on the radio..

While driving back from Tenn we heard Chris, Trey, Lil Wayne and Big Sean 15 times within 2 hours.. They were just rotated within the 2 hours. They threw in Nicki and Miguel also..

Let's put this in perspective: Historically male artist tend to be more successful overall than female artists.

But the most successful male artists tend to thrive in a rock setting. They don't do as great in a pop driven setting (ie pop/r&B/dance). But females thrives in this setting, though not as well as males in a rock setting. But since rock isn't popular right now, there's not much room for males to thrive.

Alot of queens use the females because they want to be them. :crazy:

I like most of the male rnb singers because I like their music and want to fuck them... I don't get the constant shade towards males on here is it some type of rejection that happened in real life or something strange.

I like the female singers but I will always love male singers more and some rappers <_< as a guy I can relate more with them on some things.

I consider myself a person of equality (I listen to 60% females and 40% males but it's evening out lol). If I find an artist is talented, I will support them no matter what they're gender. ^_^ Recently, as far as singers go, I like Cee-Lo and Raphael Saadiq's recent music with the throwback soul sound. Frank Ocean too; his subject matter is really unique and makes one think, so I'm really looking forward to his first album.

I tend to prefer the older male artists though (same for females)... MJ and Prince of course, but also everyone from Stevie Wonder to David Bowie.

A LOT of you make VERY valid points. I agree with most of what is posted here.

By the way Art, Miguel is clearly an R&B singer. And I would definitely say Frank Ocean is too. Bruno is indeed a pop singer. But this thread is titled "Male R&B & Pop singers", so I wasn't just referring to R&B singers.

Archived