Who had the better album

Xtraordinary Xternal

Why did people hate "20 Y.O." so much? I can't really remember why...

Too much JD I believe. It sounded too...hood. We all know that although Janet was born in a hood she was raised in a mansion :filenails:. It just wasn't her.

Too much JD I believe. It sounded too...hood. We all know that although Janet was born in a hood she was raised in a mansion :filenails:. It just wasn't her.

I guess I can understand that.

But...

I looked at it completely differently. I can't stand JD, and it has nothing to do with his past relationship with JJ. I have NEVER liked him. However, I think some of his finest work was on that album...some of that album's FINEST moments were his work :w00t: I LOVED the harder urban sound "20 Y.O." had...through it all, Janet STILL shined through to me, just as bright as she always does. I still feel that had "Nipplegate" never happened, "20 Y.O." would have done EXTREMELY well...she had SO MANY single worthy tracks on it -_-

I guess I can understand that.

But...

I looked at it completely differently. I can't stand JD, and it has nothing to do with his past relationship with JJ. I have NEVER liked him. However, I think some of his finest work was on that album...some of that album's FINEST moments were his work :w00t: I LOVED the harder urban sound "20 Y.O." had...through it all, Janet STILL shined through to me, just as bright as she always does. I still feel that had "Nipplegate" never happened, "20 Y.O." would have done EXTREMELY well...she had SO MANY single worthy tracks on it -_-

I agree with you on the last part lol...it had a lot of radio friendly songs on there. And at that time that sound was really in...the whole urban street thing. I don't think it's JD's best work though to be honest :lol:

I agree with you on the last part lol...it had a lot of radio friendly songs on there. And at that time that sound was really in...the whole urban street thing. I don't think it's JD's best work though to be honest :lol:

I'll take a partial agreement :lol:

I guess the reason why I think it's some of his finest work is because I don't define 90% of his work as "fine" :lmao: Just his work with Mariah, and SOME of his work with Da Brat.

I'll take a partial agreement :lol:

I guess the reason why I think it's some of his finest work is because I don't define 90% of his work as "fine" :lmao: Just his work with Mariah, and SOME of his work with Da Brat.

It's funny you say that because I only know him for working with Mariah, Da Brat and Janet hence why I disagreed with that part of your other post :lmao:!!!

Yea I think Ushers Confessions & Mariahs Emancipation are 1 the challengers for JD's best work. But I do agree too, 20 y.o. got me from the 1st listen, but its far from my fave album, over the years I kinda like it less but still I'd give it like a C+ but it definately wouldve done better on radio had it not been for the SB, but I dont think it would've been EXTREMELY successful as you put it, I think it would've been successful, like a few top 10s maybe a #1 or 2, but I dont think it would've done better than All For You (or anything that proceeded that album)

It's funny you say that because I only know him for working with Mariah, Da Brat and Janet hence why I disagreed with that part of your other post :lmao:!!!

:lmao: :lmao: Ahhh, I see. He's produced many trainwrecks productions :lol: From Jagged Edge, to Dem Franchise Boys, to Immature, Whodini, Puff Johnson, Usher, Xscape, TLC, Mase, Total, Destiny's Child, Monica etc ...I like some of his stuff here and there. but as a whole, I don't like his productions.

Yea I think Ushers Confessions & Mariahs Emancipation are 1 the challengers for JD's best work. But I do agree too, 20 y.o. got me from the 1st listen, but its far from my fave album, over the years I kinda like it less but still I'd give it like a C+ but it definately wouldve done better on radio had it not been for the SB, but I dont think it would've been EXTREMELY successful as you put it, I think it would've been successful, like a few top 10s maybe a #1 or 2, but I dont think it would've done better than All For You (or anything that proceeded that album)

A #1 and a few top 10's would put it over what "All For You" did (#1 title track, #3 STCML, non top 20 SOAG) of course it probably wouldn't have sold as much, but there were multiple top 10 caliber songs on that record. Don't forget though, Janet was STILL HEAVILY blacklisted by MTV, Radio and television programs during "20 Y.O."'s era...I think it's a better record in comparison to A4U, to be honest.

Everyone seems to think that "The Velvet Rope" is the messiah of her albums, and I understand why...they can relate to a lof of what the album is about. But I really can't...and I don't really think it's all that great. It's just a 'good' album to me, middle of the pack when it comes to Janet discography. IMO, of course -_-

A #1 and a few top 10's would put it over what "All For You" did (#1 title track, #3 STCML, non top 20 SOAG) of course it probably wouldn't have sold as much, but there were multiple top 10 caliber songs on that record. Don't forget though, Janet was STILL HEAVILY blacklisted by MTV, Radio and television programs during "20 Y.O."'s era...I think it's a better record in comparison to A4U, to be honest.

Everyone seems to think that "The Velvet Rope" is the messiah of her albums, and I understand why...they can relate to a lof of what the album is about. But I really can't...and I don't really think it's all that great. It's just a 'good' album to me, middle of the pack when it comes to Janet discography. IMO, of course -_-

nope...Janet had more hits to be released from that album and she was dumb not to do it. "When We Ooo" definitely an R&B top 10, "You Ain't Right" no.1 Dance hit, "Come On Get Up" would've probably hit no.1 on the top 100 or at least been a top 5 hit and would've definitely been a no.1 Dance hit also. "Feels So Right" would've done something...hell it even has its own dance

(I always include DRM wit A4Y's success since the songs on the album) but I can agree with you about TVR to a certain extent. Like I think artistically & creatively its her best work, and I can definately relate to it but its not my fave album as far as my taste in music (that goes to janet. for me).

nope...Janet had more hits to be released from that album and she was dumb not to do it. "When We Ooo" definitely an R&B top 10, "You Ain't Right" no.1 Dance hit, "Come On Get Up" would've probably hit no.1 on the top 100 or at least been a top 5 hit and would've definitely been a no.1 Dance hit also. "Feels So Right" would've done something...hell it even has its own dance

HOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLD the phone, I am wit you on that A4Y had more singles to release, but you lost me @ dumb. That wasnt her decission or fault, Virgin pulled the plug on A4U & all the albums they had to shell out a shit load to Mariah to make Glitter (the movie & soundtrack) then they shelled out even more to release her from her contract. Thats the reason that era came to a end so fast when it shouldnt've. I dont think it had anything to do with Janet or what she wanted.

I so agree..."Come On Get Up" is still one of my favorites from Janet as well as "When We OOO".... I would have released "COGU" as the second single. It would have hit number 1. :filenails:

(I always include DRM wit A4Y's success since the songs on the album) but I can agree with you about TVR to a certain extent. Like I think artistically & creatively its her best work, and I can definately relate to it but its not my fave album as far as my taste in music (that goes to janet. for me).

HOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLD the phone, I am wit you on that A4Y had more singles to release, but you lost me @ dumb. That wasnt her decission or fault, Virgin pulled the plug on A4U & all the albums they had to shell out a shit load to Mariah to make Glitter (the movie & soundtrack) then they shelled out even more to release her from her contract. Thats the reason that era came to a end so fast when it shouldnt've. I dont think it had anything to do with Janet or what she wanted.

Janet has enough clout, especially then, to release more singles if she wanted.

Janet has enough clout, especially then, to release more singles if she wanted.

LOL, um without the label paying for the release, marketing, videos, performances and appearances, they would've all ended up like Come on get up, and what would've been the point?

She could have paid herself. :filenails:

Beyonce does it all the time. :cheers:

Yea but how many of the songs Beyonce released on her own make it to #1 or the top 10's or a hit period? :filenails:

Without the labels support, what would be the point? The label backs the radios and the videos, Janets name is huge, and was espcially huge back then, but the label is a whole other thing.

Archived