I need advice...Please..UPDATE PAGE 4!!

Bailey

Okay so I am the only Black in my program and I am also the first Black male to be in it, I have classes all day Monday until 9:30pm then I have lab at 7am Tuesday, I have been late 3 out of 5 labs, BUT went to the afternoon labs to make it up. I decided last time was enough that was not my standard nor could I have that, so I show up to lab today 30 minutes early. The dean is brought in and I am given a verbal write up, basically saying that if I am late again I would be kicked out the program. I read the write up, it had dates, times, quotes, anything and everything, Im like they really keeping an eye on things huh? I told the dean the only quote on there wrong was the one saying I said I could not come to lab because of my 9:30pm class, I said no that's not what I said I said it makes it hard to get thru the turn over in that time, but I never said I could not do it, the dean cut me off and said yes you did say that, I did not argue I just signed it and left it be. I feel maybe they did me some favor, if you're a Black guy working in the hospital they won't cut you any slack they believe we're idiots anyway. So I wonder, do Blacks have to hold a higher standard? Others have been late, but no one else has received a write up.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a fact that as the only black guy you will ne noticed. It's also true that as the only black guy you have to make sure you don't allow anyone to have anything on you. You should have never been late once, let alone three times. You have given then ammunition.

You are on this course for you, not them, so keep your head down, work hard and get what you came for. You can do it :)

It's a fact that as the only black guy you will ne noticed. It's also true that as the only black guy you have to make sure you don't allow anyone to have anything on you. You should have never been late once, let alone three times. You have given then ammunition.

You are on this course for you, not them, so keep your head down, work hard and get what you came for. You can do it :)

Thanks Paul that's what i thought...I kinda feel like the dean (even though she's a bitch) was trying to tell me they won't let this slide even once in a hospital, and her convo was all about being in a hospital and being late. So I guess they were correcting me before I get out there and represent them and me. And you're right I did drop the ball and give them ammo I was late

I was mad though the write up had something in quotes saying I said this and I did not...and she quickly jumped in and said "yes you did" Im like :unsure: .....but I have learned to see who are with me and those who are not, one of the professors, she taught in Black schools back in her day, and she defended me, like "when is that class you're in til 9:30 at night gonna end ? I said next week...she tried...and even after she told me you're gonna be fine.

I would have told the Dean that if I'm telling he I didn't say something then I didn't and ask her if she's calling me a liar. Stupid bitch :)

But in your situation it's best to keep your head down.

that's what I felt, but I also knew you gotta stay on track see the bigger picture, let this be a lesson, grow and learn from it...thank u Paul....you always have sound advice

I would have told the Dean that if I'm telling he I didn't say something then I didn't and ask her if she's calling me a liar. Stupid bitch :)

But in your situation it's best to keep your head down.

conforntation would have meant "okay he doesn't get whose in power...kick his ass out

Okay so I am the only Black in my program and I am also the first Black male to be in it, I have classes all day Monday until 9:30pm then I have lab at 7am Tuesday, I have been late 3 out of 5 labs, BUT went to the afternoon labs to make it up. I decided last time was enough that was not my standard nor could I have that, so I show up to lab today 30 minutes early. The dean is brought in and I am given a verbal write up, basically saying that if I am late again I would be kicked out the program. I read the write up, it had dates, times, quotes, anything and everything, Im like they really keeping an eye on things huh? I told the dean the only quote on there wrong was the one saying I said I could not come to lab because of my 9:30pm class, I said no that's not what I said I said it makes it hard to get thru the turn over in that time, but I never said I could not do it, the dean cut me off and said yes you did say that, I did not argue I just signed it and left it be. I feel maybe they did me some favor, if you're a Black guy working in the hospital they won't cut you any slack they believe we're idiots anyway. So I wonder, do Blacks have to hold a higher standard? Others have been late, but no one else has received a write up.

Was he there?

If something was on that write up that was false, I wouldn't have signed it. I hope you at least wrote your thoughts on the back that that statement was false. HR 101

I did not, but the statement was "because of my 9:30pm class I COULD NOT come to lab" I don't know how important that is, I know the way it was written was very derogatory in tone, and it did not sit well with me, but I think the whole point was to try to get me on the right page before I got into clinicals. I really don't know if I did the right thing or not, the dean is the type that will argue with you and bulldoze over you.

Stop being so fucking dramatic

Its YOUR fault for being late 100 times

stop placing the race card

that's not the case, others have informed me they were late so "don't feel bad" but none of them had been taken aside, one morning the girls told me "all the guys were late today" another time they asked if I was okay because they ran late due to car accidents, so I am not the only on who has been late but I have been the only one disciplined for it. That's not the race card it's the truth, I happen to be the only Black there, but I happen to also be the only one given written documentation over being late while other late were not.

that's not the case, others have informed me they were late so "don't feel bad" but none of them had been taken aside, one morning the girls told me "all the guys were late today" another time they asked if I was okay because they ran late due to car accidents, so I am not the only on who has been late but I have been the only one disciplined for it. That's not the race card it's the truth, I happen to be the only Black there, but I happen to also be the only one given written documentation over being late while other late were not.

uve been late 3 times

has anyone else been late 3 times?

uve been late 3 times

has anyone else been late 3 times?

twice that I am aware of, I am also aware that yea I was late does not change that, but I corrected the issue myself, I was in lab 30 min early before all this went down, they never said in the write up that of each time I was late I made that time up in the afternoon lab, it was not stated he addressed the issue and dealt with it as demonstrated by the fact he is here 30 min. early, I was not given a copy of the write up. I am all for taking responsibility for my actions, but if I sign something under duress and state I did not say something only to be cut off saying "yes you did" that isn't right.

twice that I am aware of, I am also aware that yea I was late does not change that, but I corrected the issue myself, I was in lab 30 min early before all this went down, they never said in the write up that of each time I was late I made that time up in the afternoon lab, it was not stated he addressed the issue and dealt with it as demonstrated by the fact he is here 30 min. early, I was not given a copy of the write up. I am all for taking responsibility for my actions, but if I sign something under duress and state I did not say something only to be cut off saying "yes you did" that isn't right.

you explicitly said in your OP that you were late 3 times...

As for the rest of the shit, why dont u go talk with the dean again and ask if you can re-discuss the issue

its not that hard

or someone else u can talk.. im sure there are plenty of student support services

you explicitly said in your OP that you were late 3 times...

As for the rest of the shit, why dont u go talk with the dean again and ask if you can re-discuss the issue

its not that hard

or someone else u can talk.. im sure there are plenty of student support services

I talked to another student, someone I like and mutually trust and she wrote this back so I am okay now, I figured it all out, I have no recourse, I must not drop the ball, and even when I think I am right on something I will always be wrong: Here is her response (another student)

Unfortunately they like to pick out small problems in the begining and target those people. My mom has a coworker who used to teach here and said u really need to just mind ur mannors, follow rues and don't complain. I know it may seem catty, but maybe write a few paragraphs about punctuality, and how it will make u a a better, more respected student and nurse, and in the end thank them for holding us to such high standards.. teachers always right, we are kissing their ass for the next 18 months. If you have ANY complaints/issues.. do NOT take it up with the faculty. U can always talk to me. Let me know if that helps you. I was late for peggy 2 times, I told her I had no excuse that its really not like me to do that and it will NEVER happen again.

I talked to another student, someone I like and mutually trust and she wrote this back so I am okay now, I figured it all out, I have no recourse, I must not drop the ball, and even when I think I am right on something I will always be wrong: Here is her response (another student)

Unfortunately they like to pick out small problems in the begining and target those people. My mom has a coworker who used to teach here and said u really need to just mind ur mannors, follow rues and don't complain. I know it may seem catty, but maybe write a few paragraphs about punctuality, and how it will make u a a better, more respected student and nurse, and in the end thank them for holding us to such high standards.. teachers always right, we are kissing their ass for the next 18 months. If you have ANY complaints/issues.. do NOT take it up with the faculty. U can always talk to me. Let me know if that helps you. I was late for peggy 2 times, I told her I had no excuse that its really not like me to do that and it will NEVER happen again.

i can't with this

uve got an excuse for everything

what do you want from me dude? If you can't then don't you're always angry addressing people here, I asked for advice not condemnation I already got my scoop of that this week thank you.

tumblr_lgzksqZ14e1qaimf2o1_500.gif

That is my advice

Stop being such a victim, and making an excuse for everything

Archived