NEW Janet documentary UK BBCFour UPDATE: to air Nov18th

Twistedvelvet

BBC Four American Season

Prince – A Purple Reign; Public Enemy – Prophets Of Rage; Lionel Richie – Dancing On The Ceiling; Janet Jackson – Taking Control (4x60-minutes)

These four documentaries profile four legendary artists – Prince, Public Enemy, Janet Jackson and Lionel Richie – whose careers went stratospheric during the 1980s. After the successes of soul, funk and disco in the previous two decades, the Eighties was a defining point for black American pop music. Young, talented African-Americans took centre stage, becoming some of the biggest selling artists of all time.

However, this success wasn't straightforward. MTV had launched in 1981 and became increasingly influential in promoting new music. The channel was initially a home to white rock acts and it was only after Michael Jackson's dazzling Billie Jean video and a threat by his label to withdraw all their other artists unless MTV played it, that things changed.

Following this breakthrough, others followed and by the end of the decade African-American performers were the dominant force in popular music, which continues today.

This series features critical biographies of these talented artists with the stories of how they achieved worldwide success and ultimately came to influence some of the biggest music stars of today.

------------------

A new hour long documentary on the life of Janet will air in the UK on November 18th.

Janet Jackson – Taking Control will feature an extended interview with Janet as she tells the story of her life in her own words.

The commission for the BBC will air on BBC4 at a time to be publicised in the coming days.

The programme is  part of a series of documentaries looking at how four very different artists achieved worldwide success.

The programmes will also examine their continuing influence on music today.

I'll try ripping it and then uploading it to youtube...I remember doing it for the Graham Norton Show (it had the most views too) before I accidentally deleted my account :tear:. The only thing is that BBC iplayer has that thing that iTunes put on their songs where it's protected or something so I need a program that can fight that protection.

Archived