Why Is Prince A Bigger Star Than Janet

Idrag4mj

This has sorta always baffled me ..

Prince is mainly known as a 80s artist ..he was huge then ...second only to the late great michael ..after that his success has been a hit and miss..mostly miss with a few chart visits here and there ..90s were not as good to his as he wouldve hoped

in the 00s it didn't get any better ...not any significant chart success his Most if not all his albums during this period have been slammed by both fans and critics ...alot of fans ignore his recent work and reiterate that he hasn't put out a good album in a decade or more

His international success was big during the 80s but after that almost insignificant

In comparison to janet she was huge during the ending 80s ..probably the biggest star of the 90s ..had some outstanding success early 00s ..and maintained a presence even if minimal on the music landscape ..throughout the decade ..She sold more albums during this decade than prince did ..Had stronger chart success to..not only in the Us ..but a little presence elsewhere ..

I know some will say Super Bowl ..and even though it stopped janet from being heard on the radio ..the probability of hearing a Janet song on the radio anywhere on earth is higher than the possibility of hearing a prince song

,,It may be debatable but to me Janet has the more popular music catalogue of the two ..Besides diamond and pearls..purple rain ..i don't think many people can name 5 prince songs..

you cold say fans of both artist don't love their most recent albums like their earlier works .

Media presence..Prince is hardly ever in the news..a very secluded person especially during the 00s

Janet has maintained a bigger media presence...way bigger..she has subconsciously stayed in the minds of the public.at least more than prince

Janets 12 studio releases have sold more ..than prince than prince's 25 studio album 5 compilation

She has had 10x as many hits ..all over the world ..

Has a much bigger chart success

I just wanted to break things down before asking

Prince did..i think recently 20 nights at the forum in LA ... i mean 20? ..LA is probably janets biggest market and i doubt she can even do two nights at the staple center

Prince did 21 nights at the london 02 arena ..Janets 3 dates at the royal ablert hall theatre took forever to sell out

6-7 nights at Madison square garden

Prince can hold a stadium concert anywhere (well except africa) on earth and people will come out to see to him

the same can't be said for janet

Now both star's are Past their peaks ..Prince decades more than Janet...Looking on Paper you would say janet has had the more successful career ....Janet should be the bigger of the two right now..she should be a bigger draw than prince so why then has Janet's ability to draw people deteriorated so much ..

Is it sexism ?

Are people Just fed up seeing the same rehashed dance routines over and over again ?

Is she just not an interesting person to see anymore?

what are your views..

Note:this is not about who is the better artist..read the post before answering

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Prince pushed artistic boundaries more than any other significant Top 40 artist of the past 30 years. People have a lot of respect for him as a musician and a performer. He's seen as more "real," while the mainstream media treats Janet like a simple pop star.

Sexism plays a big part in it, too. Men are just generally better tour draws. Madonna is a strange exception.

Prince pushed artistic boundaries more than any other significant Top 40 artist of the past 30 years. People have a lot of respect for him as a musician and a performer. He's seen as more "real," while the mainstream media treats Janet like a simple pop star.

Sexism plays a big part in it, too. Men are just generally better tour draws. Madonna is a strange exception.

Madonna..Tina ..Turna ..Celine dion..Whitney ..are they all the exception

Madonna..Tina ..Turna ..Celine dion..Whitney ..are they all the exception

Tina is a big touring artist but not on Madonna's level.

Turna? :unsure:

Celine has to play a billion shows. She's not grossing much more than Janet, per night.

Whitney has never been a real touring act.

Janet could've been as big as all of them (she's still bigger than Whitney) if her career had gone better over the past 10 years.

Celine has to play a billion shows. She's not grossing much more than Janet, per night.

Janet could've been as big as all of them (she's still bigger than Whitney) if her career had gone better over the past 10 years.

Lets not be delusional please

Celine dion is on madonna touring level..do you have any idea how much her tour taken chases brought in ?? close to 400million dollars

Tina tuner is the biggest touring act of all time male or female..she is on madonna level trust that

Whitney ..sold out 5dates at the london 02... arena's all over australia and europe ...Sorry but currently internationally as a touring act Janet can't touch whitney .

You said if janet's career had gotten better of the last 10years but in actuality ..Janet career has been similar to her peers..i mean none of the above have had any significant chart success if any..or sold as many album like they once did

No, she wasn't. Internationally, Tina has always been the bigger touring act. It's only recently that Madonna surpassed her, and that had more to do with number of dates she played and the amount she charged.

Again, that's not true. Madonna was always bigger touring act - whether you like it or not.

Again, that's not true. Madonna was always bigger touring act - whether you like it or not.

Yes, it is the truth. Tina was the biggest tour act next to Mike and U2. RECENTLY you can say Madonna surpassed Tina as a touring act, but that has more to do with Tina's age and not playing as many dates as she used to.

Madonna JUST began playing to over 3 million people with the Sticky and Sweet tour...Tina was doing that in 1990. lol

Yes, it is the truth. Tina was the biggest tour act next to Mike and U2. RECENTLY you can say Madonna surpassed Tina as a touring act, but that has more to do with Tina's age and not playing as many dates as she used to.

Madonna JUST began playing to over 3 million people with the Sticky and Sweet tour...Tina was doing that in 1990. lol

Kii @ "was".

Madonna was and still is the bigger touring act and you will deal. It's sad how bitter you are by Madonna.

This topic isn't even about her...

Kii @ "was".

Madonna was and still is the bigger touring act and you will deal. It's sad how bitter you are by Madonna.

This topic isn't even about her...

I know it isn't about Madonna. YOU got pressed because I stated that Madonna only recently surpassed Tina as a touring act. lol

You claimed Madge is the bigger touring act, but I shot that down with Tina's stats from all the way back in 1990 :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Then Austineisha came in a FURTHER dissamated your argument saying it's a know fact that Tina has sold more concert tickets than any other act!

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

1zr0xtt.gif

Are you kidding me?

I know it isn't about Madonna.

Then why are you so bothered by her? :lol:

You claimed Madge is the bigger touring act, but I shot that down with delusions because I'm pressed, as usual. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Fixed.

I didn't claim, I know that she is the bigger touring act. :lol:

Facts are facts, sis.

http://www.craveonline.com/music/articles/165149--top-grossing-tours-of-all-time

Where's Tina's old ass?

1zr0xtt.gif

Are you kidding me?

She's grossing way more than Janet but he's right about Saline doing many shows. :lol:

I mean her highest grossing tour is mainly because it's residency shows from 2003 to 2007. :umm: I think she's still doing the same thing.

Then why are you so bothered by her? :lol:

Fixed.

I didn't claim, I know that she is the bigger touring act. :lol:

Facts are facts, sis.

http://www.craveonline.com/music/articles/165149--top-grossing-tours-of-all-time

Where's Tina's old ass?

Check my posts, sis. I simply stated that Madonna could only RECENTLY be viewed as surpassing Tina as a touring artist. Which is actually in favor of Madonna... lol YOU got pressed because you thought I was dissing your fav. :lmao: :lmao:

In reference to your link, I already know about and have acknowledged the "Sticky and Sweet" tour...which as I've stated is the FIRST time Madonna has played to 3 million people, something Tina was doing back in 1990. :excited: :excited: :excited:

Archived