Keyshia Cole Admits She Stuffed Up With 'I Ain't Thru'

TwistedElegance™

Her collaboration with Nicki Minaj may not have found success on the charts, but Keyshia Cole is standing behind her decision. The R&B songstress explains that her label wanted to go in a different direction with her lead single, but she ultimately went with her gut.

Keyshia joined forces with the Pink Friday rapper on “I Ain’t Thru,” the first offering from her fourth album Calling All Hearts, but the song failed to crack the Billboard Hot 100.

“The label didn’t really want to drop the record because they knew … that people wanted a more intense, soulful record from me about love and I really should have followed [their] direction,” she told the AP. “But I wanted that to be a statement record. It’s like saying, ‘I’m doing me, you know. I don’t have no regrets for nothing that I’m doing.’”

She knew it was a riskier move going with the club-oriented record instead of sticking to more familiar territory. “I just think that people expect me to be, you know, an artist that sings about just love. But I’m always growing as an artist and I have to feed my artistry.”

The underperforming single was quickly followed by the mid-tempo ballad “Long Way Down,” which is off to a more promising start. “People are gravitating more toward [the record],” said Keyshia.

http://www.rap-up.com/2010/12/21/keyshia-cole-admits-nicki-minaj-single-was-wrong-choice/#more-68902

I really like that song though, I think it's one of the best on her album.

You read my mind....I was just thinking (about an 1hr ago) what a terrible choice this was for a 1st single.

I get that Keyshia didn't wanna do what was expected and drop a LOVE SONG BALLAD or CLUB oriented record...but truthfully this day in age (industry-wise) you cant afford to be taking ANY risks especially if you're not one of the BIGGER names of today.The bigger names have more of a safety net if the results of the risk doesnt span out as planned. Keyshia indeed took a gamble..I respect her taking a risk but just was not a smart one (career or business-wise).

I haven't listened to her album..I think I'll download it some time.. :coffee:

Keyshia impressed the hell out of me on her second album..all the singles she released were HOT!

yes they were. i dont know y she feels like she gotta prove something to the other girls :rolleyes:

yes they were. i dont know y she feels like she gotta prove something to the other girls :rolleyes:

Well she's been gone for a minute..had a baby and stuff..so I see if she was compelled to prove herself..but the single was horrible and maybe a nice midtempo song or love ballad could save her.

• 2 weeks later...