So... should we talk about Nicki Minaj's performance?

Aquaria

She obviously wanted it to be her Gaga VMA 09 moment... but I think she failed MISERABLY.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOg-qep1mTA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7vWWYmB9sY

Firstly, this seemed ill-suited for the grammys and the video-intro was cheesy. The performance itself was fine, but the concept was over done. If she actually wanted to be scary, which I think she did, she should know that the scariest things are what you see out of the corner of your eye and not what's chasing you with a chainsaw. The latter is Nicki's performance, and the former is Gaga's.

Everything about Nicki's performance was obvious and literal. Nicki's song is about how bad/evil she is, and her performance was about how bad/evil she is (like, really bad, like the baddest, like, SATAN, that kind of bad, yall). Gaga's story is more nuanced. Her song was a melancholy longing, and her performance built upon that a dangerous obsession. Her reveal also came at a crucial and unexpected moment, and her delivery was chilling. Nicki was screaming in tongues like she does on every goddamn verse she puts out within the first 30 seconds, to the shock of NO ONE. Gaga sang like she had literally been stabbed and the ending of the performance with the glorification of the Fame Martyr was grotesque in all the right ways, all the ways Nicki attempted but failed. Gaga's performance also tapped into a greater idea, an idea bigger than Gaga herself: that "fame kills." Nicki's performance was nothing but an ego booster praising her alter ego... it had absolutely no scope or depth otherwise.

So in closing, Gaga's antics always come from a deeper fountain and are more artfully executed. Nicki is a poor imitation and sees RELIGION and CONTROVERSY as a way to become a bigger star, with no intellectual heft to back any of it up. Because when Madonna and Gaga took on religion in their work, they had something to say about it. This was completely gratuitous and had no substance to back up the shock value.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was absolutely terrible. The show was great....and then this bitch comes along. I like Mrs. Minaj but her coonery did NOT fit in with the show. Just horrible.

It was so obvious she was influenced by Gaga, I agree -_-

I appreciate that Nicki at least tries to expand her artistry beyond just being a regular female mc with a mic but mimicking Gaga to get there is my problem. She's shown that she has more in her than just being hiphop..but she needs to tap into something thats bigger than her as Nicki Minaj if she wants that type of crossover attention/appeal.

Im still #TeamNicki

I appreciate that Nicki at least tries to expand her artistry beyond just being a regular female mc with a mic but mimicking Gaga to get there is my problem. She's shown that she has more in her than just being hiphop..but she needs to tap into something thats bigger than her as Nicki Minaj if she wants that type of crossover attention/appeal.

Im still #TeamNicki

I agree. But I think Nicki need's a vacation.

Laurie Ann Gibson choreographed or was the creative director of the performance......so she shaded Gaga through Nicki in my opinion. But Nicki embarrassed herself in the process. :sigh:

that's where boomkack washed up huh :mellow: *crosses himself* thank you Jesus, Allah, Buddha, Gaga fired that bitch.

It sucked. If she was picked to perform at any acting award show, it would have worked since she tried to show of her acting skills. But she wasn't at some acting awards, it was the Grammys. She really needs to drop that "Roman" shit like yesteryear. :umm: It was cute at first, but now she seems like a mental chick screaming out names. Why would she even do another "Roman" song when folks laughed at "Roman in Moscow"? :mellow: After that mess, I wouldn't have cared if she done a "Turn me On/Super Bass" medley like at the AMAs. I swear every time I grow to tolerate/like her, she does the dumbest shit ever. :sigh:

So well put Roman :shifty::devil:

:yep: you know I did find Lady GaGa's interview on ABC to be absolutely fascinating she has a product line of "monster" items people can buy, she is smart and making a true business out of what she is doing, she is the voice of a new generation of gays that do not readily identify with Madonna, most born after "Vogue" was released. I said it before while Madonna commands an audience the vast majority of that audience are those well into their 30's, and paying prices the average 20 something couldn't, Lady GaGa would be wise to charge less for her tickets in direct opposition to Madonna showing you can make a buck without ripping off your fans :wub:

:yep: you know I did find Lady GaGa's interview on ABC to be absolutely fascinating she has a product line of "monster" items people can buy, she is smart and making a true business out of what she is doing, she is the voice of a new generation of gays that do not readily identify with Madonna, most born after "Vogue" was released. I said it before while Madonna commands an audience the vast majority of that audience are those well into their 30's, and paying prices the average 20 something couldn't, Lady GaGa would be wise to charge less for her tickets in direct opposition to Madonna showing you can make a buck without ripping off your fans :wub:

Please don't even get me started on the Gaga Mythology and the genesis and evolution of the ideas and themes in her work 2eppq15.jpg

Im still #TeamNicki

She should just stick to singing/rapping R&B and Pop sounding songs while rapping on other artists' Rap songs. She just can't get it right when it comes to her solo Rap songs.

Most "creative" artist can get people to debate about their performance, but 100% of the people I spoke to hated it. She is killing her career before it gets off the ground.

I almost feel embarrassed for her.

lolkhia.gif

It's really sort of a pity debate.

Archived