GURLS! Have you been keeping up with the Today Show drama? Poor Ann Curry!

*~WhitePicketDreams~*

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/television/ann-curry-ouster-shame-nbc-public-humiliation-longtime-today-veteran-article-1.1104585

Does someone at NBC think that publicly hanging a respected 15-year veteran journalist out to dry makes for good television?

It sure didn’t on Thursday, when Ann Curry’s farewell as co-host of “The Today Show” made for television that was downright painful.

For the viewer, it was uncomfortable and awkward watching Curry try to put a professional face on being thrown under the bus.

For NBC, it should have been embarrassing.

RELATED: SAVANNAH GUTHRIE BEGINS NEW ERA ON 'TODAY'

RELATED: ANN CURRY MAKES TEARFUL EXIT FROM 'TODAY'

PHOTOS: ANN CURRY'S BEST "TODAY" MOMENTS

Whatever you think of Curry as a “Today” co-host, and there are legitimate disagreements on that point, no one deserves this sort of slow, forced march to a public execution.

For a solid week, from the moment The Times released a story detailing just what NBC had in mind — including her expected replacement by “Today” third-hour host Savannah Guthrie — Curry had to go on the air every day and smile.

Knowing that all her bosses, all her colleagues, almost all the media and millions of her viewers realized her employer didn’t want her there anymore.

Slow-motion dismissal may be an okay management tactic if you suspect an unpaid intern is smoking weed on lunch break. For someone who has been with the company 22 years, and whom NBC seems to genuinely value, it’s unfathomable.

PETER KRAMER/AP

To be fair, there probably was no way NBC could have escaped this situation without a few ripples in the water.

“Today” is too high-profile a show, and making a host change at the time when ABC’s “Good Morning America” has pulled almost even was inevitably going to roil the pond.

NBC was hoping, no doubt, that once it had decided to bump Curry to another job, she would agree to a hugfest statement about how she loves “Today,” but couldn’t pass up this new dream offer of having her own personal news team to roam the world with cherry-picking the best stories.

Curry did say she loves that new job, as she should. But when she also described the offer as NBC “throwing some fancy titles at me,” it was clear she wasn’t going to hide how she really felt about being dumped from “Today.”

Nor did she have a reason to hide it. She’s not the perp here. She’s the vic.

Minutes after her new position was formally announced — she will be NBC News National and International Correspondent/Anchor and “Today” Anchor at Large, which is a fancy title — NBC issued a statement in which officials right up to NBC News President Steve Capus showered her with torrents of lavish praise.

And that’s great. But where were Capus and everybody else during the preceding week, when all we heard from NBC was blackout silence?

Matt Lauer joined the chorus of praise Thursday, hailing Curry’s “big heart” and saying he looked forward to working together.

That’s great, too. But Lauer was also The Quiet Man for the preceding seven days.

Now sure, it would have been inappropriate for anyone to comment on the undoubtedly delicate contract negotiations. But nothing would have stopped anyone at NBC from whispering a few general words of personal support. No one did.

As for the argument this was a private matter, that played a lot better before the whole world knew it was going on. And whether or not NBC was the source of the original revelation, NBC had ways to make it less uncomfortable. It never employed them.

NBC seemed to treat this whole issue as surgery, removing an unwanted object, and that attitude continued to the end.

Where previous “Today” hosts were sent off with video tributes and long reminiscences, Curry got no clips and less than a minute for each year of her service.

Maybe in the long term this will revive “Today.” Right now, it just feels clumsy and cold.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/television/ann-curry-ouster-shame-nbc-public-humiliation-longtime-today-veteran-article-1.1104585#ixzz1zIIcrHi6

NBC should be ashamed. She has been there for YEARS...a decade and some change if i am not mistaken. They treat(ed) her like trash! :mellow: Now...is she LEGEND Couric or Meridith Verejus? NO! Is she about as interesting as watching a blade of grass grow! Sadly yes. :ph34r: BUT that does not give them the license to shade her the way they did! Terrible. :umm: Shame on NBC! :umm:

oh well I don't blame them then. I feel sorry for her but still don't blame them

Most people understand that there were some changes needed. But the way NBC handled it was tacky. They put it out there like she was the primarily reason for the show's woes and put her impending firing out there for the world to see.

When you want to fire someone in the situation, you tell them in private an leave it up to them to see how he/she wants to handle it. The release a notice according to how it's handles. You don't throw out there that someone getting canned and a replacement is being sought while the person is still on the show.

OK but did y'all hear that Matt Lauer's wife said that if he tried to get Natalie Morales the co-anchor job she would divorce him? It's long been rumored Laurer and Morales had an affair and that he fathered one of her children. Now that Natalie didnt get the job for the SECOND time (she was in the running when Meredith Vierra left and Ann curry got the spot) I hear she is thinking of quitting.

I also heard the thing about Matt Lauer wanting Ann Curry fired. He basically runs the show over there. Whatever he says goes.

Most people understand that there were some changes needed. But the way NBC handled it was tacky. They put it out there like she was the primarily reason for the show's woes and put her impending firing out there for the world to see.

When you want to fire someone in the situation, you tell them in private an leave it up to them to see how he/she wants to handle it. The release a notice according to how it's handles. You don't throw out there that someone getting canned and a replacement is being sought while the person is still on the show.

damn I ain't know they did it like that?

OK but did y'all hear that Matt Lauer's wife said that if he tried to get Natalie Morales the co-anchor job she would divorce him? It's long been rumored Laurer and Morales had an affair and that he fathered one of her children. Now that Natalie didnt get the job for the SECOND time (she was in the running when Meredith Vierra left and Ann curry got the spot) I hear she is thinking of quitting.

I also heard the thing about Matt Lauer wanting Ann Curry fired. He basically runs the show over there. Whatever he says goes.

Damn if Matt is really like that then he's a prissy bitch

did y'all actually read all that :umm:

at least she has a job

I didn't read it I did watch the video, and for some reason I got the impression Matt was getting his nutt on the fact she was basically fucked over. I don't know why she got fucked over, but it certainly seems that way, and I for you cannot stand it when someone does what they are supposed to do, but they get fucked over anyway, that make shit seem like why even bother you know?

I believe that is a grain of truth to Matt running the show, no different than Barbara Walters with Star Jones, but Star kept it real she left on her on terms, like I am not letting them throw me a party to celebrate the fact I basically got fired. Now to play devil's advocate, Star Jones got to feeling her pussy so much the audience turned on her, so firing Star made some sense.

She wasn't being received well and the show's rating dropped.

ABC has a better team IMO, although I will never understand why George got taken from "This Week" and put on the anchor desk, they saw the light and put him back on his show because that was a major fuck up. :filenails:

I didn't read it I did watch the video, and for some reason I got the impression Matt was getting his nutt on the fact she was basically fucked over. I don't know why she got fucked over, but it certainly seems that way, and I for you cannot stand it when someone does what they are supposed to do, but they get fucked over anyway, that make shit seem like why even bother you know?

I did too but then it carried on too long and it got awkward so I turned it off -_-