Vocally OVERRATED

janetDAYZ

Lmao I'm not trolling. I'm sorry, I know Jess is a non-factor but her vocals are weaker than her songs and if she's in the same class as Xtina, it's no wonder you all call her the Voice of half a decade. BtwWho is "Kelly" in your example?

Xtina is more of an entertainer IMO.. She dances and has dance songs with vocals. Something Beyonce dominated in

When did Xtina do it :unsure: 

But preference aside Jessicas a vocalist & marketed herself as a vocalists and got her respect & attention for it. Imo the "Kelly" is Christina in terms of career, but Kelly is the "Kelly" in terms of talent.

But she doesn't dance that much (thats why people don't know or forget she can) her focus as a performer & entertainer is the vocals & dem ballads 1st & foremost. That's what solidifies her as a vocalist 1st 

With Say Something (credited as a duet, not feature :P)

Edited by jarrylf

Damn was Jessica really a big deal? I always assumed she was the Demi Lovato / Selena Gomez of that time. 

She kinda was, I mean, not on Bert's level but she had a string of "hits." She was also famous for Newlyweds, in fact more so, so she kept releasing music longer than I think she would have if she was just a singer based on her fame with that.

• Upvote 1

But preference aside Jessicas a vocalist & marketed herself as a vocalists and got her respect & attention for it. Imo the "Kelly" is Christina in terms of career, but Kelly is the "Kelly" in terms of talent.

But she doesn't dance that much (thats why people don't know or forget she can) her focus as a performer & entertainer is the vocals & dem ballads 1st & foremost. That's what solidifies her as a vocalist 1st 

With Say Something (credited as a duet, not feature :P)

I'll give you that... Respect? She gained and lost respect with that reality show (I believe she started the shitty trend). Kelly who? Kelly Clarkson? Aka P!nk's clone? 

I know Xtina's career.. She's plays both roles but one more than the other

It should be a feature since it's literally a remix but that's none of my business. 

Edited by Game

Damn was Jessica really a big deal? I always assumed she was the Demi Lovato / Selena Gomez of that time. 

The four that basically came out round the same time was Britney,Xtina, Jessica and Mandy Moore. And that is the exact sequence of popularity and relevancy :lol: Jessica was never on Brit and Xtina's level but she was kind of popular especially after the "is this tuna, chicken?...cus the can says chicken of the sea" comment that trailblazed around the world putting a spotlight on how bright she was not. She became the cute dumb blonde that everyone loved. :lol: :lol: And she actually felt comfortable wit being considered being ditzy. Thats around the time D!nk made "Stupid Girls" and she imitated Jessica Simpson as one of the lead characters in her video that she made fun of 

Edited by janetDAYZ
  • Upvote 1

Yea she was, it was she got decent attention and decent success, but the sad truth is, RIGHT when her career hit the crossroads of the dumb reality star, she needed a signature song, and she didn't get it, she had decent hits and her albums numbers weren't bad either, but her name was and publicity came for her personal life and not her music when she needed it to be about her music the most. So I'd say more like the Ariana, Ariana's go decent hits and decent numbers, but bitch needs to do SOMETHING to leave a mark in the next 2-5yrs, cause what she's doing (like Jessica before Newlyweds) is decent and respectfable but she hasn't released anything I can see us talking about regularly in the next 10yrs. And I'm a casual fan of Mini Mimi, but I's getting bored.

I'll give you that... Respect? She gained and lost respect with that reality show (I believe she started the shitty trend). Kelly who? Kelly Clarkson? Aka P!nk's clone? 

I know Xtina's career.. She's plays both roles but one more than the other

It should be a feature since it's literally a remix but that's none of my business. 

I don't know no P!nk Clone, I know the Kelly Clarkson who is the successful vocalist, who (like P!nk) dabbles in other genres & music but who (unlike P!nk) is a vocalist 1st and it's her claim to fame

Yes she does, the vocalist :coffee:  

Agreed, it literally is adding her vocals in there, hell she didn't even get a verse, she's done features that should be more credited as a duet than this, but what's done is done, and that credit and that Grammy has been won

I don't know no P!nk Clone, I know the Kelly Clarkson who is the successful vocalist, who (like P!nk) dabbles in other genres & music but who (unlike P!nk) is a vocalist 1st and it's her claim to fame

Yes she does, the vocalist :coffee:  

Agreed, it literally is adding her vocals in there, hell she didn't even get a verse, she's done features that should be more credited as a duet than this, but what's done is done, and that credit and that Grammy has been won

Kelly Clarkson is a P!nk clone (plus 50 lbs).. P!nk has that horrible debut R&B/Pop album not to mention her Pop songs (Try, Give Me A Reason being her most recent) and many more non-rock/pop songs on her album. She's pretty vers but you wouldn't know since you ignore her history. I like Kelly but she can only dream of being P!nk

The rest you can keep :asham: 

Kelly Clarkson is a P!nk clone (plus 50 lbs).. P!nk has that horrible debut R&B/Pop album not to mention her Pop songs (Try, Give Me A Reason being her most recent) and many more non-rock/pop songs on her album. She's pretty vers but you wouldn't know since you ignore her history. I like Kelly but she can only dream of being P!nk

The rest you can keep :asham: 

Nooooo I love P!nk but she's more of the edgy rocker than everything else, I didn't say she isn't diverse or stopped being diverse but I think Kelly is more diverse. And even through kelly's hits that are similar to P!nk songs/hits, she's a vocalist it's how she markets herself most, P!nk markets herself most as the edgy pop/rocker, 

mess :asham:

• Upvote 1

Her and Mandy Moore were just flash in the pan. Ashanti was a whole lot bigger (musically) than both of them basics combined tbh.

When Jessica Simpson first came out she was an incredible vocalist - "I Wanna Love You Forever" is such a difficult song to sing and her vocals were awesome on that song. Her debut album wasn't great, but I thought she did a great job of separating herself from the Britney Spears and Mandy Moores of the pop world.

But unfortunately her vocals got worse and worse with every album. With her second album she became just another Britney clone (although at least vocally she was still quite good), but by the time her third album came out (around the time her reality TV career was kicking off) she started doing this annoying breathy-thing with her voice, like she was trying to sound younger, cuter, and girlier than she was and she basically became unlistenable.

• Upvote 3

jessica simpsons voice is thin. she has horrible technique.  she can keep a tune and sounds okay if she stays in her lane but she sounds shit when she tries to do the runs and riffs like the top tier singers.

jennifer hudson is overrated.

It's cuz her voice and "style" is built for Gospel.

She is one of those who doesn't know how to utilize her instrument in a commercial way. The closest she got to it was with the J Hud album and on some tracks from her debut like Spotlight and if This Isn't Love.

She should be doing Tamar and Sullivan type of music and not this "commercial" R&B type she's been after since her Debut.

• Upvote 2

Before my wife and I got married, she "dedicated" a Christina Aguilera song to me called Without You. I've never been a fan of her or her music, but after hearing that song, whenever Christina Aguilera would come up in conversation (not like it was very often or anything lol), I would always mention how that was my favorite song of hers. It really is a beautiful song (yes, I said beautiful) and we played it during our wedding reception, along with lots of other songs by various artists.. 

I've definitely heard her over-sing a few times like someone was holding a gun to her head forcing her to scream, but overall I don't think anyone could truly argue she can't sing..

just wanted to throw my 2 pennies in this.. ?

nice story :good:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1