Career Advice

Angela

I did. Both companies are multinational, one bigger than the other. I did all kinds of searches on both and I asked around and I decided to definitely go with the second company. I'd literally started to give up hope that I'd be able to advance further and now I finally have that opportunity.

I just felt bad because I had initially committed to the first company, and working in HR, I know how frustrating it is when someone backs out from committing, but then again, when a company wants to get rid of you, they will without question. But I just worried about the short term repercussions, but that's a risk I will have to take.

Tell the first company you got another offer and hope for a bidding war..
  • Upvote 1

Thanks everyone!

I called the first company and thanked them for giving me the opportunity to join their company but I would be rejecting their offer, and they were very kind and respectful. It went better than I expected.

I'm just relieved to now be on the path to my career. A bit of a backstory: The current company I work for has well known products, and, after four years, I was ready to move on for a multitude of reasons, but the biggest reason is that I am no longer happy there (at times, being there depressed me). I had seen my peers start at the same company around the same time as me and they left for another opportunity within a year or two, and I was unable to find something yet that i wanted and/or could get. Needless to say, it was very frustrating, and when people are continuously asking "When are you going to get a new job?" it starts to create self-doubt and it didn't help that I put a lot of pressure on myself. I made a New Year's Resolution that before this year was out, I'd move on to something bigger and better for myself and that the years I spent at this company would pay off. I interviewed at a LOT of companies, but some of them weren't the right fit, or offered low pay, or I didn't get a call back to some companies I really wanted. I applied to Company A and then to Company B on a whim, without thinking I'd ever get a callback because that was how things were going for me. Needless to say, I was beyond shocked when I was offered a job from each as this had been about 8 months of searching and over 4 years of hard work to get to this point. I literally took NO time off this year except an hour here and/or there to go interview, and I haven't been on a vacation in almost two years due to being understaffed at work. I'm glad that this is solved so I can finally begin to decompress and prepare myself mentally to the next phase in life.

Thank you all for your patience and encouragement :)

• Upvote 2

• 1 year later...

I did. Both companies are multinational, one bigger than the other. I did all kinds of searches on both and I asked around and I decided to definitely go with the second company. I'd literally started to give up hope that I'd be able to advance further and now I finally have that opportunity.

I just felt bad because I had initially committed to the first company, and working in HR, I know how frustrating it is when someone backs out from committing, but then again, when a company wants to get rid of you, they will without question. But I just worried about the short term repercussions, but that's a risk I will have to take.

I find myself back to this thread bumping it up, because I am faced with making the decision, do I inform a company that has hired me that I want to back out because another company offers me a great deal more? I also have the added issue of facing the man that basically got me the interview and the job :sigh:

Oh... Man.. Umm

You got to do what's best for you and improve as a person.

well I honestly could just say whatever over the job I was offered, great part for me is seeing that reaching out I can actually change shit I dont like. My biggest concern here is perception, the employee that recommended me will have this reflect on him.

Congrats, Angela!!

I have no clue what I'm going to do when my job re-locates. They're going to keep a location in Chicago, but it is going to be VERY small, and we don't know who they're keeping. 

We've been offered to relocate, with packages, but I'm still on the fence about moving to any of those cities.

Angela, have you tried moving up at your company? 

I find myself back to this thread bumping it up, because I am faced with making the decision, do I inform a company that has hired me that I want to back out because another company offers me a great deal more? I also have the added issue of facing the man that basically got me the interview and the job :sigh:

It's a small world. You never know who you may bump into so you don't want to burn bridges. I would recommend telling him that you received an offer for a position that you can't turn down and if you can do it over the phone or face-to-face, do it.

Congrats, Angela!!

I have no clue what I'm going to do when my job re-locates. They're going to keep a location in Chicago, but it is going to be VERY small, and we don't know who they're keeping.

We've been offered to relocate, with packages, but I'm still on the fence about moving to any of those cities.

Angela, have you tried moving up at your company?

Have you started looking at outside companies?

I applied internally within my company to a higher level and got it. I was very happy about it but it was a lot of work to smooth things over with my manager and director. I made mistakes and I'm grateful it hasn't bitten me in the ass thus far. I'm in a higher role in HR and the next step for me would be to go into management.

Have you started looking at outside companies?

I applied internally within my company to a higher level and got it. I was very happy about it but it was a lot of work to smooth things over with my manager and director. I made mistakes and I'm grateful it hasn't bitten me in the ass thus far. I'm in a higher role in HR and the next step for me would be to go into management.

Sorta. If they don't pick who they want to stay at the Chicago site, they will relocate us, however, if we don't relocate, they will separate us but with a VERY large package. I kinda want that package  :asham:  But I do not like being without a job.

I'm updating my resume at the moment. It's just a very sticky situation of not knowing what will happen in the next few months. If I leave, who knows if they were going to keep me here??

I was hoping to be here for the next 3 years cause that will make 10 years that I've been with my company; and if you're with a non-for-profit/social services organization for 10 years(full time) the government will clear the rest of your student loan debt.

Where was the job you didn't pick location at? I'm all for relocation if it's to a big city. 

Sorta. If they don't pick who they want to stay at the Chicago site, they will relocate us, however, if we don't relocate, they will separate us but with a VERY large package. I kinda want that package :asham: But I do not like being without a job.

I'm updating my resume at the moment. It's just a very sticky situation of not knowing what will happen in the next few months. If I leave, who knows if they were going to keep me here??

I was hoping to be here for the next 3 years cause that will make 10 years that I've been with my company; and if you're with a non-for-profit/social services organization for 10 years(full time) the government will clear the rest of your student loan debt.

Where was the job you didn't pick location at? I'm all for relocation if it's to a big city.

Sometimes interviewing can take a long time so if you can even get in the flow of interviewing and increasing your skills. Even if they're for jobs you don't want, I'd still recommend it.

Both of the jobs wherein California but a difference of 30 miles or so. The job I went with offered me more and had better benefits.

How bad are your debts?