10th Anniversary of Damita Jo is TODAY

jarrylf

Happy 10th to Janet's most R&B album to date, imo her best album in the last 10yrs(hopefully until the next 1), and imo 1 of the best & most solid albums period in the last 10 yrs. The very iconic (if for nothing else the name alone) DAMITA JO! GOD I remember back when I was imagining what the cover would be, back when I was wondering what it was going to sound like, what the I Want You Video would look like.....NONE of what I imagined came to be lol. (actually the promo cover to JALW is almost exactly what I imagined for the cover only different hairJanet_-_Just_A_Little_While_promo.jpeg). Watching those 2 amazing performances and great interview on the short-lived Ryan Seacrest show and Good Morning America.

When the album came out I wasn't taken immediately by it, same as AFY, I had my picks but then had to grow into the rest, and today it's SOOOO tied with AFY it's not even funny. Everything AFY was for pop to me DJ is for R&B. I CRRRRRRRRRRRAVE this album sometimes today, that vibe, I thoroughly love the album from start to finish, and as far as we have available, it also has the BEST unreleased songs to me (but it also has the most available). I'll forever know that it was the perfect album for it's time and had a incident not taken place, I think it would've been very successful, maybe not to the extent of the previous 5 but MUCH more than it was. The album & era was robbed regardless to whether you agree with that sentence or not, it was not given a legit fully supported chance, and its a damn shame to me.

• Upvote 1

Yea I loved it when it was new, but when 20 came out I forgot it, but when Discipline came out I realized how great DJ really was. I think all 3 of the last albums aged good, but DJ I think aged the best, like vocally and with the harmony's....the other 2 can't compare. Like I said it goes with AFY, I think it was a good followup to AFY, and as of now the last chapter of the Control saga.

• Upvote 2

Yeah I remember I instantly loved 20 Y.O. more when it came out ~ but over time I think DJ held up the best of the last trinity.

Yes I'm embarrassed now over how much I loved 20 & Discipline over like AFY & DJ when they were new. But I will admit when I get new Janet albums Im blinded by the newness for at least 3 months, but she hasn't released an album since I was 18, so hopefully as a mature adult that changes.

Yes I'm embarrassed now over how much I loved 20 & Discipline over like AFY & DJ when they were new. But I will admit when I get new Janet albums Im blinded by the newness for at least 3 months, but she hasn't released an album since I was 18, so hopefully as a mature adult that changes.

I just think it's exciting to hear new music from my favorite artist for the very first time ~ I mean we never heard them before at the time. I think I've gotten better at realizing my "first impression" reaction is just that: a first impression lol. For example, on first listen, "Show Me" and "2Nite" were my favorites from 20 Y.O. and Discipline ~ however, "Enjoy" and "Let Me Know" respectively became my favorites over time.

• Upvote 1

I just think it's exciting to hear new music from my favorite artist for the very first time ~ I mean we never heard them before at the time. I think I've gotten better at realizing my "first impression" reaction is just that: a first impression lol. For example, on first listen, "Show Me" and "2Nite" were my favorites from 20 Y.O. and Discipline ~ however, "Enjoy" and "Let Me Know" respectively became my favorites over time.

TRUE, very true, and I know what you mean with how our taste change after 1st listen, for me oddly tho, on 1st listen of both 20 & Discipline, Enjoy & 2Nite were my faves, and that never change, other songs on the lists moved up & down but oddly #1 is always the same per album. I love it tho when a song isn't on my radar and then ends up high on my list, EACH album has 1 (Forever Yours, All My Love To You, Funny How Times Flies, Lonely/Livin In A World, The Body That Loves You, Twenty Foreplay, My Need/ANYTHING, China Love/Better Days, Like You Don't Love Me, With U, & Discipline), each a song I wrote off, ranked at the bottom of the list, or completely forgot about on 1st listen, now all are in my top 5's of their respected albums.

Yea I loved it when it was new, but when 20 came out I forgot it, but when Discipline came out I realized how great DJ really was. I think all 3 of the last albums aged good, but DJ I think aged the best, like vocally and with the harmony's....the other 2 can't compare. Like I said it goes with AFY, I think it was a good followup to AFY, and as of now the last chapter of the Control saga.

:nod:

It's similar in that way to Madonna's COADF... The end of an organic evolution, the last album before attempts at relevancy trumped creativity.

:nod:

It's similar in that way to Madonna's COADF... The end of an organic evolution, the last album before attempts at relevancy trumped creativity.

I notice that DJ came before COAD as well so I see Madonna may have been inspired by Janhova for that idea. That Janhova reign just won't let up. :shifty:

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Like You DOn't Love Me

YAAAASSSSS I have an extended version that I think Andy made.. :wub: it's amazing

THAT.SONG. SLAYS, it's sooo funny I don't think until 2010 I even got past the "do do do do do do's" of the beginning....I don't like them from 1st listen to today, but when I got to the chours, YAAAAAAAAAAS!!!!!!!!!!!!! SHAME HIM! SHAME HIM!!! LOL I practically skip over to the 1st verse to "DAMN! Is that all I get from you?"

My second favorite Janet album...YES bitches I said it :filenails: I will always be a fan of this album. Alot of confusion in my life at the time, but this album helped take the edge off of things.

I cant believe its been 10 years since "him" -_-its not who you think it is...

• Upvote 1

the only good thing about Damita Jo:

im not featuring any of them other generic, mediocre songs off the album.

we ain't gon' do this today...we really not :umm: "SloLove", "Island Life", "Like You Don't Love Me" >>>>>>>>>>>>>> "All Nite" :yep:
  • Upvote 1