Jay-Z and Beyonce "On The Run" HBO special. What did you think?

JoeJoe

Even though it is a Saturday night when their demographic are probably out clubbing, someone of Jay Z and Beyonce's hype should be pulling in more viewers. They should have saved it for Thanksgiving or something.

I thought AFY was watched by 12 million?

. According to the ARTL (or whatever it's called) and it was only seen by 4.4 million.. The ratings were probably 12.0 but that's a percentage.. Not a number

So basically their special flopped ? :blink: what about when ppl DVR it... Does that count towards ratings ?

I'm not sure it does. Nor does the number of people that did a JoeJoe i.e. streamed it or HBO Go. The twitter ratings were 1.7 million so I was expecting more. I'm not sure what Twitter ratings actually are though? Either way they should be pulling in bigger numbers...but I'm not mad either considering it was a successful tour and a Saturday night. They should have waited for Thanksgiving or put it on Sunday night.

well Beyoncé kinda played herself since she had the Ms. Carter tour snippets play before each episode of True Blood and that series ended less than a month ago. People are wise enough not to be pressed about seeing her new concert when her show hardly changes up that much and lets be real aint nobody checkin for a rapper when it comes to a concert unless your first and last name starts with an M.

Even though it is a Saturday night when their demographic are probably out clubbing, someone of Jay Z and Beyonce's hype should be pulling in more viewers. They should have saved it for Thanksgiving or something. 

I thought AFY was watched by 12 million?

Nobody goes clubbing at 9 and most clubs don't get poppin' til around 11pm so that excuse is out the window :filenails: Also yeah they should've saved it for a special day like Thanksgiving or something to get more ratings although Janet did hers on October 11th on a Saturday which is a club night and still garnered over 15million viewers. I was one of them :)

• Upvote 1

Nobody goes clubbing at 9 and most clubs don't get poppin' til around 11pm so that excuse is out the window :filenails: Also yeah they should've saved it for a special day like Thanksgiving or something to get more ratings although Janet did hers on October 11th on a Saturday which is a club night and still garnered over 15million viewers. I was one of them :)

I wouldn't know what time it was on since I'm not in your country :). Sis you're right that TVR aired on October 11th 1998 but you're wrong that it was a Saturday...it was a Sunday :). I think you looked at this years October 11th which is a Saturday. All For You was also televised (live?) on Feb 17th 2002 - a Sunday. Either way no chick has ever come close to those views as far as I know. Janet also won an Emmy for TVR didn't she? This is why Janet has always been the best chick in the game. . 

JoeJoe and them shady ass smiles > :) <

a mess :lol:

I like being a bitch on purpose sometimes :lol: but I wasn't being one to Bu. I was just being shady towards Thiefonyce. Like I said i'm just as bad as the beyhive when it comes to Janet smh

I wouldn't know what time it was on since I'm not in your country :). Sis you're right that TVR aired on October 11th 1998 but you're wrong that it was a Saturday...it was a Sunday :). I think you looked at this years October 11th which is a Saturday. All For You was also televised (live?) on Feb 17th 2002 - a Sunday. Either way no chick has ever come close to those views as far as I know. Janet also won an Emmy for TVR didn't she? This is why Janet has always been the best chick in the game. . 

You're right I looked up 1997 instead of 1998 lol. Either way Janet didn't plan a special holiday or anything. It's just sad that 2 huge superstars couldn't even garner 1 million views. I think Janet won 2 but they were for like camera direction and whatever

• Upvote 1

I like being a bitch on purpose sometimes :lol: but I wasn't being one to Bu. I was just being shady towards Thiefonyce. Like I said i'm just as bad as the beyhive when it comes to Janet smh

You're right I looked up 1997 instead of 1998 lol. Either way Janet didn't plan a special holiday or anything. It's just sad that 2 huge superstars couldn't even garner 1 million views. I think Janet won 2 but they were for like camera direction and whatever

It really is sad haha. But as a fan I'm not even bothered since the tour was a success anyway.

Let's not :)

NEW YORK, Oct. 22 /PRNewswire/ -- Paradise Music and Entertainment

announced that "Janet: The Velvet Rope," produced for HBO by Paradise

subsidiary Picture Vision, won the highest ratings in its time slot. The

television broadcast of the acclaimed Janet Jackson tour garnered an

11.9 rating/17 share according to Nielsen ratings data, beating out ABC, CBS,

NBC and FOX in HBO homes. HBO projected that approximately 15 million people

in 8.9 million homes viewed some portion of the show.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/picture-vision-production-janet-the-velvet-rope-beats-the-competition-77112597.html

This too :)

Janet Jackson on HBO

In 2001 Entertainment Weekly reported that Madonna has assumed yet another persona -Homecoming Queen -"Madonna Live:The Drowned World Tour", filmed in her hometown of Detroit Michigan, aired on August 26,2001 from 9:01-10:47 pm and had 5.7 million viewers, becoming the third most watched HBO concert since 1997. 

Cable World 9-3-2001 reported that according to Nielsen Media Research "Madonna Live: The Drowned World Tour", aired on August 26,2001 from 9:01 to 10:47 pm and had an 8.3 rating in the 18 to 49 demographic and an 11 rating in the HBO universe of about 33 million homes, and was the 3rd highest rated HBO concert since 1997 -- 

#1 -Cher August 29,1999 -9.0 rating in the 18-49 demographic and an 13 rating in HBO homes. 

#2 -Janet Jackson Oct 11,1998 -8.6 in the 18-49 demo and 11.9 rating in HBO homes. 

they also reported these nielsen ratings: 

Bruce Springsteen April 7,2001 -5.1 rating in the 18-49 demo and 7.1 rating in HBO homes 

'NSync July 27,2000 -4.7 rating in 18-49 demo and 7.8 rating in HBO homes 

Sinbad's Summer Jam 4 -July 11,1998 4.2 rating in 18-49 demo and 7.2 rating in HBO homes 

Bee Gees -Feb 14,1998 3.9 rating in 18-49 demo and 5.8 rating in HBO homes 

Mark Anthony -Feb 12,2000 2.7 rating in 18-49 demo and 4.1 rating in HBO homes

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/dvd-janet-jackson-the-velvet-rope-tour-live-in-concert-janet-jackson/3979415?ean=14381551730

You're reading ratings wrong.. The 8.6 rating is a percentage. Meaning 11.9% of people with HBO were watching Janet. Based off that random link you posted, if HBO had 33 million subscribers in 1998, and Janet's rating was 11.9 then to see how many people watched the show you have to do a simple equation:

The rating (as a percent) divided by number of Americans with televisions

In this case, it's 4 million people with HBO watched Janet kill it

And that's a Barnes and Noble review with no source :blink:

http://variety.com/1998/tv/news/hbo-scores-with-janet-1117481479/

HBO scores with ‘Janet’

NEW YORK — HBO earned a strong 3.5 national rating for its live two-hour Janet Jackson concert Sunday night, according to Nielsen Media Research.

“Janet: The Velvet Rope,” averaged 5.3 million viewers and 3.4 million households during the concert’s 9 p.m.-11:15 p.m. slot.

The concert was telecast from Madison Square Garden in New York.

HBO was particularly happy with the special’s appeal to women aged 18-34. The cabler said that “Janet” finished ahead of NBC, Fox and all cable competition for eyeballs in that national demo.

The concert garnered an 11.9/17 in HBO homes, good enough to beat the four major broadcast nets within HBO’s roughly 20 million homes.

You're reading ratings wrong.. The 8.6 rating is a percentage. Meaning 11.9% of people with HBO were watching Janet. Based off that random link you posted, if HBO had 33 million subscribers in 1998, and Janet's rating was 11.9 then to see how many people watched the show you have to do a simple equation:

The rating (as a percent) divided by number of Americans with televisions

In this case, it's 4 million people with HBO watched Janet kill it

And that's a Barnes and Noble review with no source :blink:

http://variety.com/1998/tv/news/hbo-scores-with-janet-1117481479/

so you just gonna pretend you didn't see the first link that wasn't from barnes and nobles smart guy? :umm: It said HBO said 15million people viewed some part of the show. Either way 4 or 15 what I said was correct. Bey didn't even get 1% of Janet's views. End of story :)

so you just gonna pretend you didn't see the first link that wasn't from barnes and nobles smart guy? :umm: It said HBO said 15million people viewed some part of the show. Either way 4 or 15 what I said was correct. Bey didn't even get 1% of Janet's views. End of story :)

Where are you getting less than 1% from?

Archived press release from Time Warner

HBO's Exclusive Live Concert Event Janet: The Velvet Rope
October 14, 1998

Outdistances the Competition, Topping the Four Networks in its Oct. 11 Presentation*

JANET: THE VELVET ROPE outpaced the competition when the HBO live concert event was seen SUNDAY, OCT. 11 (9:00-11:15 p.m. live ET/tape-delayed MT & PT). The exclusive presentation received an 11.9 rating/17 share, outperforming ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX in HBO homes. ABC received a 7.6/11, CBS an 11.2/16, NBC a 4.9/7 and FOX a 7.2/10, according to Nielsen ratings data.* In all, 15 million viewers in 8.9 million households viewed some part of the special.**

JANET: THE VELVET ROPE brought international superstar Janet Jackson's sold-out world tour to HBO in an exclusive live concert event from New York's Madison Square Garden. Her first full-length TV concert, the high-energy show featured songs from her current double-platinum album "The Velvet Rope," including the number-one smash "Together Again," as well as many other Jackson hits. Songs also performed included "If," "Again," "Alright," "Black Cat," "Rhythm Nation," "That's the Way Love Goes," "Control," "What Have You Done for Me Lately," "Nasty" and "When I Think of You."

JANET: THE VELVET ROPE was directed by David Mallet; produced by Jon Small.

* Nielsen Media Research, NHI program household ratings and shares for HBO, ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX in HBO's universe from 9:00-11:15 p.m. (ET) on 10/11/98. Qualifications available from Nielsen upon request.

** Based on NTI Client cume projections.

https://web.archive.org/web/20070927011205/http://www.timewarner.com/corp/newsroom/pr/0,20812,666900,00.html

• Upvote 1

Lemme get this straight... You only watched 4 songs yet you posted right after it ended.. AND you posted an hour into it.. and said nothing about you stopped watching it

XAxaV_zps5f72da31.gif

I said nothing about you ordering it.. I said "you don't have it" :umm: Reading is fundamental

YOU'RE the one that literally took time out his day to googled her streaming link and watch over an hour of her co-headlined tour, Yet I'm the fan? 

tumblr_llvkcee8d91qbn691_zps98979027.gif

PS: Calling me a fake bitch is just you proving you don't have a good vocabulary to have a good come back... Go stream a book 

oooooooh You ain't had to drag him like that

ipzjhBcuJzlFp.gif

Yes I watched 4 songs wtf isn't that what I just said? Did you also read where I said I enjoyed Jay-Z smart guy? People who have me on twitter know I was also tweeting. Oh also let me tell you everything I was doing since your black ass thinks you know it all. I was finishing up my food from el pollo loco. It was a chicken avacado burrito and I had a regular brc(beans, rice, and cheese) burrito with it. I was also texting on the phone as well as arguing with my ex. I was in and out of watching the show. I have no idea when the show ended. I was doing multiple things as the show was on. I had 3 other web pages open while the show was streaming. Oh yeah I got up to go pee too. Then I put the HBO special on mute as I watched an episode of family guy. Then I started texting again and forgot I was streaming. Oh I also visited the Janet-Xone forum too and read a few threads. Hmm what else did I do? :unsure:  Oh yeah went to pour me some more Hawaiin Punch and grabbed the rest of the brc burrito cause I didn't finish it and as of now i'm updating my itunes. Do I have to report when I stopped watching it? No ma'am I don't. If i'm streaming it then of course I don't have it? If I didn't stream it that means i'd have to order it right? ok just shut up now. smfh WTF have you been smoking? :mellow: How else am I gonna stream it online without googling a streaming link you dumb fuck? :lmao:

what kinda 2nd Grade story time post is this?  :unsure: 

u are kind of pathetic 

The special was great!

It didn't capture the energy Jay had in the show (how can you tho) but it made Beyoncé look amazing.

Best hair she has ever had in a tour DVD. 

tumblr_ncle1pH0ew1qej93ko1_500.gif

Woo. 

I will say tho, Being there >>>>>

The vibe was not the same!

Sucks the ratings were trash, but the show was a sellout across the nation and being the second most successful tour ever... shit you can't win everything LOL

They have made their statement. None of their peers are doing it.