Janet to Perform and Be Honored at the 2015 BET Awards?

SonofBaldwin

I've seen it a lot too. They've hyped up before and the artist didn't even show so I'm not getting too excited. But with the new album coming and a potential new news reveal on the 21st (Game worked it out if we go by that 1814 linked rumour haha?) - it's a possibility, no? I'd say just wait and see.

Its at the end of the month that is cutting it close.  If they are going to do it I hope it was confirmed long ago so that whoever is paying tribute has time to rehearse and BET had time to put together a proper stage set up.  I still can't get over that dreadful tribute they did for MJ. If they are not ready to pay tribute to her then hold it off unitl the next BET honors.  Don't just throw something together at the last minute.  

Its been long overdue if this is true. The only 80s artists theyve honored was Whitney and Prince. They had never even honored Michael. Their choices were odd

That is the most embarrassing. They waited until he passed to do something and it was a complete disaster. I'm more nervous about this now if it's true. they have never given tribute to an entertainer. Janet does not just stand in front of a mic and sing.

• Upvote 1

Its at the end of the month that is cutting it close.  If they are going to do it I hope it was confirmed long ago so that whoever is paying tribute has time to rehearse and BET had time to put together a proper stage set up.  I still can't get over that dreadful tribute they did for MJ. If they are not ready to pay tribute to her then hold it off unitl the next BET honors.  Don't just throw something together at the last minute.  

They aren't really cutting it close. The BET Lifetime Achievement Award and Humanitarian Award are the last things BET announces in regards to the BET Awards. They always announce the nominations in mid-May. Then they announce the host(s) in early June (just announced the hosts last week, it is Anthony Anderson & Tracee Ellis Ross this year). Then they start announcing the performers shortly after they announce the host(s), like they just announced Kendrick Lamar & Chris Brown today. Rather it is Janet or not I expect the recipient of the Lifetime Achievement Award to be announced within the next few days.

Also the person being awarded knows before the public knows who is receiving it. As well as the people who are performing as part of the tribute because it is planned months in advance (some even have input on who they want to perform). I wouldn't group the MJ Tribute with Lifetime Achievement Award Tributes though. MJ died 3 days prior prior to the 2009 BET Awards. BET tried to turn months of a planned award show into a MJ tribute with 3 days notice. They shouldn't have and they got criticized for it by many people. What they should have done is did like they did Whitney's tribute at the 2012 BET Awards (Which was about about a 30 minute block of time dedicated to Whitney with performers and commentary  by people who knew her). With MJ's tribute you had people changing their performances to making them somewhat of an MJ tribute. The only thing I ever hear still get any praise from that MJ tribute is Janet's speech

• Upvote 1

They aren't really cutting it close. The BET Lifetime Achievement Award and Humanitarian Award are the last things BET announces in regards to the BET Awards. They always announce the nominations in mid-May. Then they announce the host(s) in early June (just announced the hosts last week, it is Anthony Anderson & Tracee Ellis Ross this year). Then they start announcing the performers shortly after they announce the host(s), like they just announced Kendrick Lamar & Chris Brown today. Rather it is Janet or not I expect the recipient of the Lifetime Achievement Award to be announced within the next few days.

Also the person being awarded knows before the public knows who is receiving it. As well as the people who are performing as part of the tribute because it is planned months in advance (some even have input on who they want to perform). I wouldn't group the MJ Tribute with Lifetime Achievement Award Tributes though. MJ died 3 days prior prior to the 2009 BET Awards. BET tried to turn months of a planned award show into a MJ tribute with 3 days notice. They shouldn't have and they got criticized for it by many people. What they should have done is did like they did Whitney's tribute at the 2012 BET Awards (Which was about about a 30 minute block of time dedicated to Whitney with performers and commentary  by people who knew her). With MJ's tribute you had people changing their performances to making them somewhat of an MJ tribute. The only thing I ever hear still get any praise from that MJ tribute is Janet's speech

But you are forgetting that all the people they have awarded are stand still singers.  It is not that hard to pull together  7 singers to come on stage and sing a medley of songs.  With Janet she is an all around performer.  She just announced her comeback a few weeks ago. This is BET we are talking about.  I doubt very seriously they have picked whoever will do the tribute if this is true at all.  You saw how they did lionel richie.  Ledisi sung Brickhouse because they got her last minute.  They should have gotten mint condition or some other male group to do that.  

But you are forgetting that all the people they have awarded are stand still singers.  It is not that hard to pull together  7 singers to come on stage and sing a medley of songs.  With Janet she is an all around performer.  She just announced her comeback a few weeks ago. This is BET we are talking about.  I doubt very seriously they have picked whoever will do the tribute if this is true at all.  You saw how they did lionel richie.  Ledisi sung Brickhouse because they got her last minute.  They should have gotten mint condition or some other male group to do that.  

I'm not forgetting that all the people they have been awarded before are stand still singers. I know Janet just announced her comeback but Stephen G. Hill who works at BET has said before he has been trying to give the Lifetime Achievement Award to both Janet and Tina Turner for years. Janet and Tina are both all around performers. Since he has been wanting to give it to them for years I'm sure he/BET have had an idea of who they would like to perform as a part of the tribute and most likely already contacted them.

Also just because Janet is an all around performer doesn't mean she can't have stand still singers be a part of her tribute. Janet's music is very versatile and she has covered multiple genres including R&B,  Rock, Pop, Hip-Hop, Dance, Funk, and a few others.  Some of Janet's biggest songs are R&B songs so they can easily have an R&B singer(s) perform one/some of Janet's many R&B songs because most of those types of songs have limited to no choreography.  I guess I can see what you are saying about Ledsi but at the same time even though "Brickhouse" is a Commodores song Lionel Richie has performed it as a solo artist so they really could've had a group or solo artist perform it. 

If they are gonna do a "dancing" type of tribute..then we already know the #1 person they would call up..Cici... maybe Tinashe. I could see BET tryna muster up some black females who dance..sooooo.. unless they added a male artist in there like MTV did with Usher for ICON. I actually would like to see it be all female singers who dance do the tribue..they come out one at a time snd cut it up to Janet's shit

Maybe they're not honouring her?

I was thinking that but the backlash they will suffer if they don't will be tremendous. I didn't realize how big this rumor was until I typed in betawards Janet Jackson in my twitter. Everyone is expecting this. Chante Moore even tweeted about it. Their instagram page is flooded with #ciaraforjanet

Janet knows she is being honored. I believe they have approached her time and time again but she turned them down because why let an award show benefit from your star power and you not reap the benefits of it...now that she has an album coming out its a great marketing strategy and helps to re-introduce her back into the public. Im not sure if it will be 'The Lifetime Achievement Award' but Janet will be honored. BET would be stupid not to do so.

And as far as 'stand still' artist paying tribute to her, its been done before. Janet has been honored by the Soul Train Awards and there were plenty of 'stand still' artist trying their best to impress Janet. Im sure if it is going down, Janet will be in complete control of who she wants to pay tribute to her...I see it for Janelle Monae, I cant say the same for Ciara.

• Upvote 2

Janet knows she is being honored. I believe they have approached her time and time again but she turned them down because why let an award show benefit from your star power and you not reap the benefits of it...now that she has an album coming out its a great marketing strategy and helps to re-introduce her back into the public. Im not sure if it will be 'The Lifetime Achievement Award' but Janet will be honored. BET would be stupid not to do so.

And as far as 'stand still' artist paying tribute to her, its been done before. Janet has been honored by the Soul Train Awards and there were plenty of 'stand still' artist trying their best to impress Janet. Im sure if it is going down, Janet will be in complete control of who she wants to pay tribute to her...I see it for Janelle Monae, I cant say the same for Ciara.

Why would it not be the Lifetime Achievement award? :mellow: Its the only award they honor legends with and if Prince and Whitney has received..she is way past whats owed to her. She was one of the BIGGEST black artists of the era of videos especially when BET first got off the ground. She is one of the main artists who made ppl wanna tune in and watch videos to begin with. Lets keep it real in this bitch

And the Jonalle Monae thing.. No. She already honored Prince for his which was kinda shitty...so we dont need no repeats . Besides shes not a good fit for a tribute to Janet at all. I dont see it...not even with my reading glasses on

Why would it not be the Lifetime Achievement award? :mellow: Its the only award they honor legends with and if Prince and Whitney has received..she is way past whats owed to her. She was one of the BIGGEST black artists of the era of videos especially when BET first got off the ground. She is one of the main artists who made ppl wanna tune in and watch videos to begin with. Lets keep it real in this bitch

And the Jonalle Monae thing.. No. She already honored Prince for his which was kinda shitty...so we dont need no repeats . Besides shes not a good fit for a tribute to Janet at all. I dont see it...not even with my reading glasses on

I believe she is getting the 'Lifetime Achievement Award', I was just saying that if its not that award...I see her being honored in some capacity on the show.

• Upvote 1

I was thinking that but the backlash they will suffer if they don't will be tremendous. I didn't realize how big this rumor was until I typed in betawards Janet Jackson in my twitter. Everyone is expecting this. Chante Moore even tweeted about it. Their instagram page is flooded with #ciaraforjanet

I really hope Ciara is NOT the one to tribute her

As janetDAYZ said, I don't understand why some of you don't want Ciara as part of the tribute.

As far as I can see, it's only Ciara, Tinashe, and Beyonce who can perform choreography well. (Yes, I purposely left Britney out). Maybe Janelle Monae.

I'd personally love to see a tribute from all of those ladies (not Britney), each taking on a classic Janet song, like Janelle, Alicia, Patti, and Esperanza did for Prince.