How did you first get into Janet and what made her your fave?

JoeJoe

First time I was really introduced was the "Nasty" video.  I was 8 years old, didn't know one singer from the next. I was just really aware of Michael Jackson I guess.  But I remember my sis going on and on about this video by MJ's sister, and I watched and was really intrigued by her dancing and sass.  And when she said "No my first name ain't baby...,"   I just remember being hooked.  

She became my #1 the moment I watched/heard "Miss You Much."  From then on, I was completely obsessed with her music and presence.   She was a force from that moment on for me.  No one, not even Madonna and MJ, whom I both really liked back in the day, could compare.  Like MJ, the fact that she was SO shy and meek off stage, then EXPLODED in performance on stage, was completely unique and captivating.  It seemed so effortless to her.  

• Upvote 3

I was first introduced to Janet when I was three. My family would play the Control album and I fell in love! This was also the same time I started liking MJ as we had a lot of his music videos on VHS. I remember being so interested in the Bad and Remember the Time music videos. The love for Janet blossomed from there and I've been a fan ever since.

She became my fave as soon as the Control album finished playing. I'd beg my dad to play it over and over (he preferred Mariah's "Emotions" album) and get sad when he didn't.

• Upvote 2

The first page is a mess already. :lmao:

It's all started with "Control"..:wub:

"When I Think Of Legend" sealed the deal.  On my first listen of that song, I was in love.  It came on the radio and I was immediately hooked.  Mind you, I was only 8 or 9, so I didn't exactly know what she was feeling..but just everything about it was BRILLIANT. It was something about the way Janet sang that song..a longing in her voice..sweet and sugary..light and breezy. with a hint of sadness...and that bridge>>>> Just perfection.  And JJ&TL behind the boards..>>> She became my fave immediately.  I had seen  the light..and it's in the form of a Goddess woman.

2pqwck0.gif

• Upvote 4

1990: I was huge MJ fan.. The TV was on MTV and the Rhythm Nation video came on.. My mom turned to me and said "ooh let's watch this, she's Michael Jackson's little sister."

giphy_zps5lamrawt.gif

I was like "really?!" and then we watched it and I was amazed, to say the least.. She was like a female MJ! lol..

I didn't really keep up with her too much, although I would listen to my sister's "janet." cassette occasionally (This Time was doope).. Then on my birthday in 1996, I received a CD player from my grandma and 2 CD's! (Weird Al's "Bad Hair Day" and Janet's "Design of a Decade").. DOAD pretty much made me a fan of her artistry and music from there on out..

Got to see her in concert for the first time last October in SF. We met Gil and my daughter took a pic with him..

Ha! I was there with you front row but on the right side of the stage lol