How did you first get into Janet and what made her your fave?

JoeJoe

1989 ...Miss U Much...high school cheer leaders did it at a pep rally...and we rocked out...every song she came with was da shit...video too...loved her...for me "Escapade" sealed it...I became so into her I couldnt stop playing her this moment below is one that must be in the biopic because it is so essential to her career rise

• Upvote 6

For me it was the "Control" album.....the sound was crazy and infectious that you couldn't help but notice.  What sealed the deal for me was "Pleasure Principle".....damn she murdered everyone with that video and left us hungry for more.

93nZzbD.gif

3 years later "Rhythm Nation" came out and Janet leaped and sealed her legendary status that quickly at the young age of 24 with that album. No one has repeated that quick rise of fame! Come on.....we are talking about 7 top five singles from R.N., 4 of which went number 1 (it was really 8 top 5 singles with the airplay that "State Of The World" received).....the album was close to producing 6 number 1 hits as 2 of those top 5 singles peaked at number 2 (Come Back To Me and Alright). 

• Upvote 7

I remember growing up with her music. Watching her video debuts on tv. My sister was a big fan and went to the RN tour. I was a bigger Madonna fan with Janet just behind until high school. Velvet Rope (along with Madonna's Something to Remember) were mainstays in my CD player. By the time All For You came out, J had kicked Madge to a second place tie with Britney. -_-

• Upvote 1

My parents are huge Jackson family fans. Heavy emphasis on Michael, and almost equally Janet. I remember hearing music from the Jacksons growing up all of the time, some of my earliest memories were dancing all over my house to songs like "Don't Stop Til You Get Enough""Rhythm Nation" and "ABC". Mike and Janet are really a package deal for me, I feel like I was bred to love them. 

The moment I knew Janet was ONE of my favorite female singers, by my own terms, is when "That's The Way Love Goes" dropped. I remember being mesmerized by that smooth, seductive vocal and that hypnotic composition...that baseline though.
:blush:

The moment I knew Janet was DEFINITELY my favorite female singer was when she blessed us with "All For You"...everything about Janet at that moment in time was absolute perfection. The "All For You" video showcased A bronzey-chocolate 34 year old BOMBSHELL with a perfect body, killer abs, and a smile that could make you melt, stunning the world with one of her most powerful, clear and concise vocal performances of her career, and putting on yet another 'I can kill choreography MUCH better than you' dance clinic for all eyes to see. I remember streaming the song on Windows Media Player the day it was released -- 3 days before my 13th birthday (back when we were using a PC that ran Windows Millennium Edition, rockin' dial-up internet access and you had to wait lengthy periods for the track to "buffer" :lol:). Windows gave the track MAD promo on WMP, it was an event. I recall having AFY on repeat, it was an instant classic. I remember vowing, at 13 years old, that this woman was going to be the mother of my children, so help me God. Equal parts beauty, talent, intellect, and personality, with mad sex appeal.

That was the defining moment -- At that point I realized, for me, NO other chick was fuckin' with Janet. 

• Upvote 7

Bizarrely I was first exposed to Janet's music not from Janet herself but through some Cantonese covers of some of her 80's hits. My parents used to play a mixed tape in the car featuring a couple of songs by Leslie Cheung (a very famous male pop singer in the 80's and 90's). It wasn't until years later when I got the Design Of A Decade CD that I realised What Have You Done For Me Lately and Miss You Much (both of which I loved) were actually originally performed by Janet! The same goes for Love Will Never Do (Without You), which I first heard performed by a Cantopop singer called Sally Yip.

I briefly remember the janet. era (the videos were always on heavy rotation on MTV) but I was still too young to appreciate the music then. It wasn't until I saw the video for Together Again and bought The Velvet Rope that I became a fan. It was one of the first CDs I ever bought and to this day remains one of my favourite albums of all time.

• Upvote 3

I used to listen to my brothers RN album and fell in love. I was 10. I already had the sound of the Control album subliminally planted in by head in my younger years.

After loosing my grounding of her around 1997, i really fell for again with the DJ album and thats how i discovered the forum.

I was 5 years old watching Video Soul back in 1990!!! I saw the Alright video for the first time and was hooked. Janet has always been a mainstay in my life. Her music has helped me through a lot of tough times throughout my life. I feel like I know her. She's like that favorite auntie in my head. I could hear a Janet song and remember where I was in my life when that song came out.

• Upvote 2

I'd been "aware" of Janet ever since the janet. album but she'd always kinda lingered in the back of my mind, not really registering on my stan radar. That was, until college where I asked my then roommate if I could borrow his Janet: Live from Hawaii dvd. Watching it, I found myself recognizing the RN and Control songs which previously I'd had no idea belonged to her. I was all like "she did THAT song" or "that was HER" after basically every song. I was hooked after that.

• Upvote 2

Picture it: Cleveland 1995.. I loved MJ like any child.. And when Scream was released and I became aware of Janet. I put her on the back burner but was still watching her (my brother had What's it Gonna Be on TAPE!!!!). It wasnt until 2002, after my brother went to her concert, when I borrowed his AFY burned disc.

AFY hooked me in.. Went to Target and bought the Deluxe edition for myself on my bday in 2002. I then went back in time shortly after that and bought and learned every lyric in reverse order :asham: 

• Upvote 4

I should also add that although I've loved Janet's music since the 90's and had bought all of her albums up to 2009's Number Ones collection, it wasn't until I saw her live during the UCAP tour on Valentine's Day 2011 in Hong Kong that I became a huge fan! 

I was so excited about seeing her in concert again this month in Manchester, but sadly that wasn't to be. :(

• Upvote 2

It was on the ride to pre-school (lol) and "That's The Way Love Goes" came on the radio. It's one of the few radio songs that I remember the specific location where I first heard it. That's where it all started. Then I discovered the music videos (while also being fascinated by the fact that the music was on TV too lol) and saw what she looked like. Mesmerizing beauty, amazing music, unforgettable videos, then when I eventually heard the full CD, forgetaboutit ~ I was completely blown away.

• Upvote 3

I grew up a MJ fan so always liked janet.

Then when design of a decade came out my mum got me the video and album. I was 10. 

I got  into her more.... Then 97 I purchased the janet. Video and fell in love with her and the kids.... And I loved the rehearsal to 'if'

Now what made me a stan was going to the velvet rope concert here in London, her security bump our seats to front row so throughout the show I was blowing kisses at her, and she would back. Towards the end her security grabbed me and my mum and sister and said ' janet wants to meet you' ??????

Met her backstage... She was beautiful and smelt lovely, smaller than I'd expect

She was like "I just wanted to meet you because you were blowing kisses at me'

I was on cloud 9 but remained cool. I spoke to her about the show, South Park, Mj and she signed my tour book

loved her ever since 

• Upvote 5

I grew up a MJ fan so always liked janet.

Then when design of a decade came out my mum got me the video and album. I was 10. 

I got  into her more.... Then 97 I purchased the janet. Video and fell in love with her and the kids.... And I loved the rehearsal to 'if'

Now what made me a stan was going to the velvet rope concert here in London, her security bump our seats to front row so throughout the show I was blowing kisses at her, and she would back. Towards the end her security grabbed me and my mum and sister and said ' janet wants to meet you' ??????

Met her backstage... She was beautiful and smelt lovely, smaller than I'd expect

She was like "I just wanted to meet you because you were blowing kisses at me'

I was on cloud 9 but remained cool. I spoke to her about the show, South Park, Mj and she signed my tour book

loved her ever since 

giphy_zps87tkqrxu.gif

What a story!! I loved reading that right now... And it's your first post?!? Mind blown!

thanks for sharing that!

• Upvote 1

1990: I was huge MJ fan.. The TV was on MTV and the Rhythm Nation video came on.. My mom turned to me and said "ooh let's watch this, she's Michael Jackson's little sister."

giphy_zps5lamrawt.gif

I was like "really?!" and then we watched it and I was amazed, to say the least.. She was like a female MJ! lol..

I didn't really keep up with her too much, although I would listen to my sister's "janet." cassette occasionally (This Time was doope).. Then on my birthday in 1996, I received a CD player from my grandma and 2 CD's! (Weird Al's "Bad Hair Day" and Janet's "Design of a Decade").. DOAD pretty much made me a fan of her artistry and music from there on out..

Got to see her in concert for the first time last October in SF. We met Gil and my daughter took a pic with him..

image_zpsvho8eh2k.jpeg

Got upgraded to front row seats, thanks to Joey, and during Janet's closing statements and introductions, she noticed my daughter on my shoulders and waved and spoke to us from the stage!

image_zpsekmwfuzd.jpeg

• Upvote 3

1990: I was huge MJ fan.. The TV was on MTV and the Rhythm Nation video came on.. My mom turned to me and said "ooh let's watch this, she's Michael Jackson's little sister."

giphy_zps5lamrawt.gif

I was like "really?!" and then we watched it and I was amazed, to say the least.. She was like a female MJ! lol..

I didn't really keep up with her too much, although I would listen to my sister's "janet." cassette occasionally (This Time was doope).. Then on my birthday in 1996, I received a CD player from my grandma and 2 CD's! (Weird Al's "Bad Hair Day" and Janet's "Design of a Decade").. DOAD pretty much made me a fan of her artistry and music from there on out..

Got to see her in concert for the first time last October in SF. We met Gil and my daughter took a pic with him..

image_zpsvho8eh2k.jpeg

Got upgraded to front row seats, thanks to Joey, and during Janet's closing statements and introductions, she noticed my daughter on my shoulders and waved and spoke to us from the stage!

image_zpsekmwfuzd.jpeg

wow... That's similar to mines. The fact being both mj fans and DOAD being the turning point. Bumped concert seats and her making contact and speaking with u.

now that's a good read. Thnx

• Upvote 1

wow... That's similar to mines. The fact being both mj fans and DOAD being the turning point. Bumped concert seats and her making contact and speaking with u.

now that's a good read. Thnx

yea really! I think that's why it made me notice yours especially... Although we didn't get to go backstage and talk to her face to face, but it was still incredible.. My kid still talks about it to this day!

• Upvote 1