As a Janet stan, how do you feel about...

moonlight

Elaborate specifically on the aftermath.

I already have...the issues with her labels, industry politics, and not to mention she didn't have an outlet for her product. Pop radio and MTV REFUSED to support her.

Everybody virtually abandoned her overnight...

You can't compare her situation to any other artist in the industry. Which what makes Janet's "hustle" all the more spectacular.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Legend, do not entertain ThatOtherFlop's opinions of Madonna. Everyone on this board knows he hates her. So his opinions about her don't matter.

Also, Madonna lost her footing after the Sex Book. She didn't recover until ROL. BS was passable but considering she moves 15-20mil per album, it was a flop.

I already have...the issues with her labels, industry politics, and not to mention she didn't have an outlet for her product. Pop radio and MTV REFUSED to support her.

Everybody virtually abandoned her overnight...

You can't compare her situation to any other artist in the industry. Which what makes Janet's "hustle" all the more spectacular.

I guess... IDK imo i just felt the situation could have been handled better simply just by taking a music break. Shes no stranger to a 4+ year hiatus & to the best of my knowledge none of this applied in 08(minus label troubles)

Legend, do not entertain ThatOtherFlop's opinions of Madonna. Everyone on this board knows he hates her.

Also, Madonna lost her footing after the Sex Book. She didn't recover until ROL. BS was passable but considering she moves 15-20mil per album, it was a flop.

Besides her being an irrelevant flop bitch, I don't hate her.. :rolleyes:

I'm simply speaking the truth. No one has dealt with a situation comparable to the aftermath of Janet's SB situation. Losing your "footing" for a few years doesn't compare to the situation Janet has dealt with.

I guess... IDK imo i just felt the situation could have been handled better simply just by taking a music break. Shes no stranger to a 4+ year hiatus & to the best of my knowledge none of this applied in 08(minus label troubles)

Janet has never taken a 4 year hiatus. There may be 4 years between projects, but never a 4 year hiatus. Also with contracts and what not, I don't think that type of hiatus was/is feasible.

Some of it didn't apply by 2008, but alot of that was because Janet refused to just give up. As I said before, we are now seeing the results of Janet "hustle" (for lack of a better word). It's becoming positive now, but Janet had to contend with a lot bullshit to reach this point.

Janet has never taken a 4 year hiatus. There may be 4 years between projects, but never a 4 year hiatus. Also with contracts and what not, I don't think that type of hiatus was/is feasible.

Some of it didn't apply by 2008, but alot of that was because Janet refused to just give up. As I said before, we are now seeing the results of Janet "hustle" (for lack of a better word). It's becoming positive now, but Janet had to contend with a lot bullshit to reach this point.

I didnt mean haitus but Janet has always taken at least 3+ ears in between her albums starting with Control

Control (1986)

(3year gap)

Janet Jackson's Rhythm Nation 1814 (1989)

(3year gap)

janet. (1993)

(4 year gap)

The Velvet Rope (1997)

(4 year gap)

All for You (2001)

(3 year gap)

Damita Jo (2004)

20 Y.O. (2006)

Discipline (2008)

And what do you mean as far as contracts? meaning 20 YO being her last with the label? I think its also worth noting some things Janet did during this time despite her "hustle" that werent in the best interest of her career and progressing like she should have.

I didnt mean haitus but Janet has always taken at least 3+ ears in between her albums starting with Control

Control (1986)

(3year gap)

Janet Jackson's Rhythm Nation 1814 (1989)

(3year gap)

janet. (1993)

(4 year gap)

The Velvet Rope (1997)

(4 year gap)

All for You (2001)

(3 year gap)

Damita Jo (2004)

20 Y.O. (2006)

Discipline (2008)

And what do you mean as far as contracts? meaning 20 YO being her last with the label? I think its also worth noting some things Janet did during this time despite her "hustle" that werent in the best interest of her career and progressing like she should have.

Those gaps weren't actually that long...

For instance, they were still releasing singles from "Control" in 87, so that means there was only a two year gap at best

The "Rhythm Nation" era lasted until 91. Meaning there was only two year gap until the "Janet." album.

The "Janet." era lasted until 95. Meaning there was only a two year gap between that project and TVR.

TVR era lasted until 99 (if you count the world tour). Which means there was only a two year gap until AFY.

With the tour, the AFY era lasted until 2002. Meaning only a 2 year gap until Damita Jo.

As for contracts, usually artists have to deliver albums within a certain time frame. They can't necessarily take as along as they want putting a project together. It depends on the contract though. What Janet should have and could have done is subjective and based on opinion, but I'm speaking solely on her "hustle" and NO ONE has "hustled" like she has in the last few years...with the exception of MAYBE one or two artists. Who didn't have to contend with certain things that Janet did.

Those gaps weren't actually that long...

For instance, they were still releasing singles from "Control" in 87, so that means there was only a two year gap at best

The "Rhythm Nation" era lasted until 91. Meaning there was only two year gap until the "Janet." album.

The "Janet." era lasted until 95. Meaning there was only a two year gap between that project and TVR.

TVR era lasted until 99 (if you count the world tour). Which means there was only a two year gap until AFY.

With the tour, the AFY era lasted until 2002. Meaning only a 2 year gap until Damita Jo.

As for contracts, usually artists have to deliver albums within a certain time frame. They can't necessarily take as along as they want putting a project together. It depends on the contract though. What Janet should have and could have done is subjective and based on opinion, but I'm speaking solely on her "hustle" and NO ONE has "hustled" like she has in the last few years...with the exception of MAYBE one or two artists. Who didn't have to contend with certain things that Janet did.

But the label she was on dissapeared or merged shortly after. Do you think they were counting on her to make it so that they wouldnt have to come to that?

Archived