As a Janet stan, how do you feel about...

moonlight

Nice try but he was talking about when Janet's on tour B) You being the opportunist you are, you took advantage of that and uploaded videos of Janet's tour since you knew people were looking for videos on it :filenails: You're always the loser hun :filenails:

:yep::filenails:

Make it none B)

Mad that I took the opportunity to make a vid of Janet on tour? Yeah...you mad B)

Nope B)

You love ALL of them :wub:

Good night....bitch :umm:

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I imagine this thread is long-off topic by now, but I don't care.

Madonna is a legend, it can't be argued. In the realm of pure, true, classic female pop superstars, there's Madonna and there's Janet Jackson. They are the queens, they broke the barriers, they set the trends, they bred the followers. However, both women are long past making great music, which is a sad thought.

On to Madonna specifically, I don't think she ever receives enough credit for the artist she is. Not that she's blameless, but something has to be said for her longevity and the fact that in three decades of churning out albums, none of them sound alike. On top of that, she has writing credits on 98% of her catalogue, and her touring figures are setting records nearly thirty years into her career. I own every Madonna album and I can't see myself never supporting or at least following her work (unless she goes completely off the rails), but I don't need another Hard Candy. Eleven albums in and she finally sells out. -_- Which was strange to me. Growing up Madonna was always the ballsy chick, the one who thrived off controversy, but seemingly never for the hits, just for the thrill. Now it feels like her motivation is the Billboard chart and it just doesn't sit right with me. Gone are the days of her experimenting with underground producers and putting actual effort into an era and its videos.

I remember a lot of people balked at the idea of Madonna paying tribute to Michael Jackson at the VMAs, but she is (and always has been) the Queen of Pop, just as he is king. To argue the point is absurd.

In saying that, I'll finish with a quote I've always liked from the great Liz Phair "Madonna is the speedboat, and the rest of us are just the Go-Go's on water skis" B)

I imagine this thread is long-off topic by now, but I don't care.

Madonna is a legend, it can't be argued. In the realm of pure, true, classic female pop superstars, there's Madonna and there's Janet Jackson. They are the queens, they broke the barriers, they set the trends, they bred the followers. However, both women are long past making great music, which is a sad thought.

On to Madonna specifically, I don't think she ever receives enough credit for the artist she is. Not that she's blameless, but something has to be said for her longevity and the fact that in three decades of churning out albums, none of them sound alike. On top of that, she has writing credits on 98% of her catalogue, and her touring figures are setting records nearly thirty years into her career. I own every Madonna album and I can't see myself never supporting or at least following her work (unless she goes completely off the rails), but I don't need another Hard Candy. Eleven albums in and she finally sells out. -_- Which was strange to me. Growing up Madonna was always the ballsy chick, the one who thrived off controversy, but seemingly never for the hits, just for the thrill. Now it feels like her motivation is the Billboard chart and it just doesn't sit right with me. Gone are the days of her experimenting with underground producers and putting actual effort into an era and its videos.

I remember a lot of people balked at the idea of Madonna paying tribute to Michael Jackson at the VMAs, but she is (and always has been) the Queen of Pop, just as he is king. To argue the point is absurd.

In saying that, I'll finish with a quote I've always liked from the great Liz Phair "Madonna is the speedboat, and the rest of us are just the Go-Go's on water skis" B)

There are no truer words.. :tear:

Janet is the yin to Madonna's yang. -_-

Same as with Beyonce - like some of her songs but I went off her around the whole Sex era... for me she became more about eroticism than about music, like she forgot what she was supposed to be doing.

Yeah, but that erotica album was great. Her "girlie show" tour was also good.

I don't particularly care for Madonna. She seems to have a real wack attitude, and I'm not real crazy on her look, her voice, or the bulk of her music. She's done her thang though, I cannot knock her swag or her gangsta, she's been doing her thang for years and still remains relavent so good for her. I also really liked her in the movie "A League Of Their Own" and think she looks pretty damn good with black hair.

I do like some of her music though:

"Borderline"

"Get Into The Groove"

"My Baby's Got A Secret"

"Jump"

"Beautiful Stranger"

"Music"

Absolute favorite songs of hers:

5. "4 Minutes"

4. "Like A Prayer"

3. "Revolver"

2. "Don't Tell Me"

1. "Hung Up" -- I LOVE that song, LOVE that video, think she looked bangin' in her unitard, loved the choreography, loved the other dancers in the video, especially that black lady that got hella screen time and the thick little black girl, they both can dance their asses off! Madonna shocked the hell out of me with that song/video.

Where are the distractions???

normal_Rock_Witchu_Tour_(205).jpg

normal_janet_Tour_(15).jpg

2000_janetjackson.jpg

normal_GYI0058990831_LR1.jpg

See...you over there postin', and I'm over here needin' questions answered.....

Are you serious?

What about the 65 dancers?

The TV screens?

The fancy lighting equipment?

The storyline backdrops?

The musical interludes?

The crazy outfits?

The walking around the stage and waving to the audience?

The props? (Not every tour has them, but most of them do.)

Why is it that you have selective common sense? I know you're trying to be cute and semantic again, but what's so hard about just agreeing with somebody who isn't a homegurl of yours? Maybe you don't like what I'm saying, but it's hard to dispute it.

Are you serious?

What about the 65 dancers?

The TV screens?

The fancy lighting equipment?

The storyline backdrops?

The musical interludes?

The crazy outfits?

The walking around the stage and waving to the audience?

The props? (Not every tour has them, but most of them do.)

Why is it that you have selective common sense? I know you're trying to be cute and semantic again, but what's so hard about just agreeing with somebody who isn't a homegurl of yours? Maybe you don't like what I'm saying, but it's hard to dispute it.

Janet only uses 8 dancers per performance. The only time she had more was during X-factor.

The TV screens? You mean the JUMBOTRONS that are used so ppl sitting in the nose bleeds can SEE the show?

Fancy lighting? How else are people supposed to SEE the performance?

The storyline backdrops? You mean the inflatable props that are only used during the Whimsical performances, which are PART OF THE PERFORMANCE in themselves?

Musical interludes? You mean the INTERMISSIONS that allow costume changes between songs? And how does that distract the audience ANYWAY? :mellow:

The crazy outfits? Those are COSTUMES. They are part of the performance.

Walking around the stage? You mean audience interaction? :mellow: How dare Janet be courteous to the ppl who spent their hard earn money to see her show?

The props? Uh EVERY performance has them.

Try again.

Janet isn't image-driven? Really?

Janet's stage is literally filled with distractions... on every tour. Madonna's distractions are just better. Both of them can own a stage by themselves.

That is true. Although I think that it's become more clear over the years that Madonna's selling point is her music. The public was over her in '03 but when she shat with Confessions in 2005 they came crawling back. That didn't have much to do with image--she was hardly promoting herself during that era, and yet the album sold 10M copies, "Hung Up" went to #1 in over 40 countries and she scored a record-breaking tour.

Did I stutter?

Janet's stages aren't filled with distractions. Her only distractions would be the troop of dancers and pyrotechnics other then that she has none. Her shows aren't as extravagant as Madonna's. Go watch the Rhythm Nation tour and janet. tour they're both amateur production wise when you compare them to Madonna's.

Madonna's selling point isn't her music, it's her brand. People go up for her music because of who she is as a brand in pop music. She re-invented herself for Confessions and people came crawling back to her. Madonna's whole career thrives off of her image. Janet's doesn't and this is why Janet's popularity declined and she has yet to get back up. When you're an image driven artist it's easier to remain relevant if you play your cards right.

Did I stutter?

Janet's stages aren't filled with distractions. Her only distractions would be the troop of dancers and pyrotechnics other then that she has none. Her shows aren't as extravagant as Madonna's. Go watch the Rhythm Nation tour and janet. tour they're both amateur production wise when you compare them to Madonna's.

Madonna's selling point isn't her music, it's her brand. People go up for her music because of who she is as a brand in pop music. She re-invented herself for Confessions and people came crawling back to her. Madonna's whole career thrives off of her image. Janet's doesn't and this is why Janet's popularity declined and she has yet to get back up. When you're an image driven artist it's easier to remain relevant if you play your cards right.

Yeah...But Janet's rock with you tour stage blew Madonna's past concerts productions out the water production wise. That stage was god!

Archived