Britney’s Toxic written with Janet in mind

Dave79

I didn’t know of Toxic but it explains why I like the song so much. I did know of Slave 4 U and I’m glad Janet turned it down. 

On 10/7/2020 at 3:01 PM, king_c said:

I hear a few days ago. Slave 4 U was also given to Janet and she declined for obvious reasons. I'm still shocked Pharrell offered a song with the word "Slave" in the title to a black woman. 

I feel the same way. But then again Pharrell was talking that “New Blacks” mess  a few years ago, so I shouldn’t be surprised. He hasn’t aged right since. 

• Upvote 1

On 10/9/2020 at 11:14 AM, kcho said:

it is ridiculous and dangerous to see racism and slavery,  everywhere, all the time. Slave for you is just erotic, not political song. 

Unfortunately racism IS everywhere and is structural, which is the real problem. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Angela said:

I didn’t know of Toxic but it explains why I like the song so much. I did know of Slave 4 U and I’m glad Janet turned it down. 

I feel the same way. But then again Pharrell was talking that “New Blacks” mess  a few years ago, so I shouldn’t be surprised. He hasn’t aged right since. 

"new blacks"? don't know what that means

On 10/12/2020 at 1:29 AM, Angela said:

Unfortunately racism IS everywhere and is structural, which is the real problem. 

there is no connection between structural racism in the USA and this pop song. You're confusing 

With this logic, "black cat" is a problem as well. The title speaks about gang and using the term "black". It's discriminatory for black people

3 hours ago, kcho said:

there is no connection between structural racism in the USA and this pop song. You're confusing 

With this logic, "black cat" is a problem as well. The title speaks about gang and using the term "black". It's discriminatory for black people

I’m not confusing and for those that know, know. This isn’t a new topic and was discussed at length on the old forum. For those that understand Black culture in the US, they see why it would’ve been problematic and this discussion was had back in the early 2000s before folks started talking about structural racism to this extent openly and wouldn’t make as silly as a comparison as the one you just made. Sorry if you don’t get it.  Maybe you should consider opening up your network instead of making quick judgements on my board. 🤷🏾‍♀️