I think I figured out why we'll most likely never get the "janet." tour on dvd

JoeJoe

So for the past few days i've been watching uploaded clips of the tour on youtube and in it you'll see a lot of the things she did is used in The Velvet Rope tour with minor readjustments. I'll give you this clip of "This Time" for example. You'll see that the dancers are wearing some of the same outfits with masks that will later be used for her "You" performance on TVR tour. Of course we can tell it was lip synced but its whatever. Then you'll see the lady and her husband fighting which of course is the same drama that is used for "What About?".

I think at this rate if we do see it get a release (and that’s a pretty big if - no pun intended) it will be something to do with the impending 30th anniversary of the Janet album. Given that the albums that preceded it didn’t get deluxe edition anniversary reissues I can’t imagine Janet will either, but she might release the tour separately in a digital format, much like the Rhythm Nation singles were released digitally to mark the anniversary of that album.

But if it doesn’t happen in 2023 I can’t see it happening at all.

Yeah, well I don't think people care that some parts of the janet. World Tour are a bit similar to the TVR. We as fans will buy/stream a commercial release nevertheless and if promoted properly, the general public will too (I mean, come on, it's Janet!! 💁🏻‍♂️).

I started to think: maybe we're getting some footage from that tour (and other tours) in the upcoming doc.

9 hours ago, JJATL said:

Was it ever professionally recorded though?  I agree - she repeated the script too much from Janet. To TVR.  

It was recorded as I recall, back in the day there was some discussion that it was supposed to air. 

Janet performed two concerts at Radio City Music Hall to benefit the Rwandan crisis. The shows were also recorded for a television special which never aired. The concert special was directed and filmed by her then husband Rene Elizondo, Jr.

12 hours ago, JJATL said:

Was it ever professionally recorded though?  I agree - she repeated the script too much from Janet. To TVR.  

Yes and I didn't realize how much until I watched more clips and the stage looks too small. I believe even the Rhythm Nation Tour stage was bigger.

7 hours ago, Jakob said:

Yeah, well I don't think people care that some parts of the janet. World Tour are a bit similar to the TVR. We as fans will buy/stream a commercial release nevertheless and if promoted properly, the general public will too (I mean, come on, it's Janet!! 💁🏻‍♂️).

I started to think: maybe we're getting some footage from that tour (and other tours) in the upcoming doc.

a bit similar? lol I honestly don't think it would sell well. I know it's Janet but are tour concerts even being sold these days?

9 hours ago, JoeJoe said:

Yes and I didn't realize how much until I watched more clips and the stage looks too small. I believe even the Rhythm Nation Tour stage was bigger.

a bit similar? lol I honestly don't think it would sell well. I know it's Janet but are tour concerts even being sold these days?

I can see it doing well enough digitally to resuscitate more old tours being remastered and shown to this generation. 

17 hours ago, Bailey said:

It was recorded as I recall, back in the day there was some discussion that it was supposed to air. 

Janet performed two concerts at Radio City Music Hall to benefit the Rwandan crisis. The shows were also recorded for a television special which never aired. The concert special was directed and filmed by her then husband Rene Elizondo, Jr.

Maybe it has something to do with their divorce. Maybe she isn't allowed to release something that her ex had a big creative input on.

• Upvote 1

On 3/29/2021 at 5:26 PM, JoeJoe said:

So for the past few days i've been watching uploaded clips of the tour on youtube and in it you'll see a lot of the things she did is used in The Velvet Rope tour with minor readjustments. I'll give you this clip of "This Time" for example. You'll see that the dancers are wearing some of the same outfits with masks that will later be used for her "You" performance on TVR tour. Of course we can tell it was lip synced but its whatever. Then you'll see the lady and her husband fighting which of course is the same drama that is used for "What About?".

You can say the same thing about Number Ones Tour/Rock Witchu and Unbreakable/State of the World tho?

3 hours ago, EphraimAdamz said:

You can say the same thing about Number Ones Tour/Rock Witchu and Unbreakable/State of the World tho?

you literally can't except maybe the Number Ones Tour. Rock Witchu, Unbreakable, and State were nothing like TVR tour. Is you for real? :mellow: