Beyonce under fire for Blackface photos!

JoeJoe

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The purpose of "Blackface", or any tribute for that matter, is to try to capture the full essence of the concept. The black make up on the face was part of what made Blackface during the early 20th century. They would be stupid not to incorporate one of the trademarks of the movement.

boy please its not like its a big ass special event or something its just a shoot that didn't go well with the public as they thought it would.

boy please its not like its a big ass special event or something its just a shoot that didn't go well with the public as they thought it would.

That's because ppl like to pick apart and criticize Beyonce's every move. Had this been some other random run of the mill lesser girl, there wouldn't be a problem.

Why would a black person have to darken their face to look African. I know it maybe hard for some people to realize, Africans do come in all colors :mellow: Simple African clothing or customs would have sufficed.

yes it would Angie but in this case they didn't think it would blow-out of proportion... the only reason why it's being blow out of proportion is because Beyonce did it

yes.. any educated American would have considered that racist.. but this is a French magazine... where they don't learn about blackfaced theater. (i'm sure)

and we all know Beyonce is uneducated.. so u really can't blame her...

The purpose of "Blackface", or any tribute for that matter, is to try to capture the full essence of the concept. The black make up on the face was part of what made Blackface during the early 20th century. They would be stupid not to incorporate one of the trademarks of the movement.

It was a stupid and offensive idea. This is the same magazine that did it with a white man in the SAME EXACT way. It's a dumb idea. She can capture the look and essence of being "African" without the face.

Thank you. I rest my case cause Angie has just spoken and everyone knows when she does the rest of the forum will just falls in line. Lol. But yeah she could of represented as she was

She always seems to try TOO hard and overthink it when it comes to representing "Africa." I still remember all that nonsense dancing she was doing in the Deja Vu video and all her stans were screaming from the top of their lungs that she was just representing Africa :mellow::rolleyes:

This blackface idea is even worse.

It was a stupid and offensive idea. This is the same magazine that did it with a white man in the SAME EXACT way. It's a dumb idea. She can capture the look and essence of being "African" without the face.

You have to remember this is a FRENCH magazine. They aren't as race sensitive in comparison to America. They may or may not understand that Blackface was a time when Blacks were pretty much a source of entertainment for Whites, all while being laughed AT, rather than WITH. It was indeed a form of racism and ignorance. That said, you can't do Blackface without the trademark 'artwork'. To put it into perspective, think of Janet doing a show and not performing RN or TTWLG. That would be the equivalent of doing Blackface without the face paint. Also, if I read the thread on Beyonce World correctly, she is paying tribute to whatsherface.

You have to remember this is a FRENCH magazine. They aren't as race sensitive in comparison to America. They may or may not understand that Blackface was a time when Blacks were pretty much a source of entertainment for Whites, all while being laughed AT, rather than WITH. It was indeed a form of racism and ignorance. That said, you can't do Blackface without the trademark 'artwork'. To put it into perspective, think of Janet doing a show and not performing RN or TTWLG. That would be the equivalent of doing Blackface without the face paint. Also, if I read the thread on Beyonce World correctly, she is paying tribute to whatsherface.

Honey I understand what you're saying, but I disagree in the idea of even doing it. They've done it before and it caused controversy yet they keep continue doing it. It is wrong, imo, and as a daughter of two Africans, I find it offensive. You can represent Africa without doing the Blackface. That is my point. I understand the historical context very well, and that's why I'm against its manifestation in any type of form.

And by the way, Fela Kuti was a man. I'm VERY familiar with his music and his impact on Africans, as he is from the same country my parents were born and raised in, which is why I find it even more insulting.

Those pictures with Beyonce that you showed without the shit smeared all over her face were beautiful and fully captured the essence of what she intended to convey. The Blackface simply made a mockery of what they were trying to convey.

Honey I understand what you're saying, but I disagree in the idea of even doing it. They've done it before and it caused controversy yet they keep continue doing it. It is wrong, imo, and as a daughter of two Africans, I find it offensive. You can represent Africa without doing the Blackface. That is my point. I understand the historical context very well, and that's why I'm against its manifestation in any type of form.

And by the way, Fela Kuti was a man. I'm VERY familiar with his music and his impact on Africans, as he is from the same country my parents were born and raised in, which is why I find it even more insulting.

Those pictures with Beyonce that you showed without the shit smeared all over her face were beautiful and fully captured the essence of what she intended to convey. The Blackface simply made a mockery of what they were trying to convey.

Yeah I don't understand why SHE is doing it if she's paying homage to a man, Fela Kuti. I am not reading all 77 pages of the thread on Beyonce World about this. But I too am lost on why she chose to do the black make up considering the first post of the thread mentions nothing about Blackface. :unsure: And it's dumb too because there's a quote that says the shoot is "African queen" inspired. So I'm lost as to how Fela Kuti got caught up in the mix. :mellow: Goes back to Europeans not knowing too much about African history. :sigh:

I think the pix without the foolery are the pix for African queen. But I can see why they used the black make up - to represent all of the different shades and beauties of Africa. Not all African queens were fair skinned. Some were dark skinned as well from my understanding.

Archived