Billboard declares, "Beyonce and Lady Gaga are both stalling"!

King Baby

well?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Didn't i ask ya'll a Question? Don't make me ask ya'll again.

• Beyonce
    • Gaga
    • Neither will top Britney
  2. 2. Do you think either will see the success on the hot 100 as Katy, ke$ha and Rihanna

• maybe Ke$ha but not the other 2
    • They both will
    • Either way they will both see more sucess that your ugly black @ss Nuk!

Lady Gaga and Beyonce: Do New Singles' Soft Numbers Spell Trouble for Their Albums?

May 06, 2011

By Keith Caulfield (@keith_caulfield), Los Angeles

Two superstar divas -- Lady Gaga and Beyonce -- both have eagerly-awaited albums on the way, but their latest singles are seeing a less-than-spectacular reaction on the charts. Is there cause for alarm?

First up is Lady Gaga's "Judas," which falls 6-19 in its third week on Digital Songs with 81,000 according to Nielsen SoundScan (down 48%). It's the second single from Gaga's third studio album, "Born This Way," due out May 23.

The set is easily one of the biggest releases of the year, not just for her label, Interscope, and its parent company Universal Music Group -- but for the entire industry. With 5.8 million albums sold in the U.S. since her "The Fame" debuted in August of 2008, all eyes and ears have been trained on Gaga and what "Born" may sell in its first week.

Could it possibly reach the magic 1 million sales mark in its debut? (A threshold that only 16 albums have achieved, debut or otherwise.)

Back in February, previous to the title track and lead single's unveiling on Feb. 11, that was a line of conversation in the industry -- and not a far-fetched one, either. While a 1 million-start was perhaps always a pie-in-the-sky figure -- even back in February -- a forecast of a 750,000-start was plausible. Now, three long months later -- with "Judas" cooling -- the album's first-week projections have certainly been lowered.

"Judas" launched with 162,000 after it bowed on Friday, April 15, with only three days of sales (SoundScan's tracking week ends on Sunday of each week). Though one would have suspected it would have grown in sales after it had a full week under its belt -- it actually declined, shifting 156,000 in its second week on the tally.

Compare that to the arrival of "Born This Way," which dropped on the morning of Friday, Feb. 11. It debuted with 448,000 downloads, logging the largest debut sum for a female artist. Then, in its second (and first full) week, it increased to 509,000 -- up 14% -- earning the fourth-largest week ever for a digital download and just the fifth song to shift more than 500,000 in a week.

"Born" -- which famously became the Billboard Hot 100's 1,000th No. 1 single when it debuted atop the list -- went on to become the year's third-biggest selling single, with 2.5 million downloads sold. Only Katy Perry's "E.T." (2.8 mil) and Cee Lo Green's "F**k You (Forget You)" (2.6 mil) have shifted more.

Keep in mind of course that "Born" was an incredibly anticipated song that was sure to be a blockbuster -- and thus apples-to-apples comparisons are unfair.

On the Hot 100 -- which combines sales, airplay and streaming data -- "Judas" debuted well at No. 10, but then fell to No. 12 in its second week and this week descends to No. 20. On its component Hot 100 Airplay chart, which monitors more than 1,200 radio stations, the song bowed at No. 48 three weeks ago with 26 million in audience impressions according to Nielsen BDS. However, its rise has been slow (if not at least steady). In week number two it moved up to No. 36 with 33.6 million and then this week it shuffles up three spots to No. 31 with 34.6 million.

Meanwhile, "Born This Way" exploded onto the Hot 100 Airplay chart at No. 6 with 78.6 million out of the gate, quickly rising to No. 4 the following week with 84.7 million. "Born" ultimately hit No. 1 on the Airplay list on the tally dated April 2, with a peak of 106 million. (Again, "Born" was destined to be an out-of-the-box smash, as it had been hyped for months previous to it release, thus making it hard to compare it to "Judas," nor any other single's performance.)

Does any of this spell trouble for the "Born This Way" album? Certainly not. Gaga is cranking up the promotion for the set, and it's likely there won't be any music fans unaware that the album hits retail on the 23rd. This week already she performed on "The Oprah Winfrey Show" and unveiled the music video for "Judas." Next week, she'll release a new track via iTunes -- "Edge of Glory" -- as part of the digital retailer's "Countdown to 'Born This Way'" campaign and mentor the final four contestants on "American Idol." However, it's hard to argue with the notion that a blockbuster second single would have pushed the album even further into the sales stratosphere.

Another diva, Beyonce, has quickly run aground with her new single "Run the World (Girls)." It slips 23-39 on Digital Songs with 47,000 (down 39%) in its second week and 65-71 on Hot 100 Airplay (16.2 million in audience, down 11%). The tune is the lead single from B's as-yet-untitled fourth solo album, expected later this year.

Beyonce's last effort, 2008's "I Am ... Sasha Fierce," was ushered in by two lead singles: the ballad "If I Were a Boy" and the dance number "Single Ladies (Put a Ring On It)."

Both songs bowed at No. 1 on the Digital chart, with the former shifting 190,000 in its first week while the latter sizzled with 204,000. (The songs were released commercially at different times, though both were promoted to radio outlets concurrently.) "Boy" hit No. 3 on the Billboard Hot 100 and "Single" spent a month lodged at No. 1. Both were smash radio hits, too: "Boy" climbed to No. 6 on the Hot 100 Airplay chart while "Single" topped the list for five weeks.

"Fierce" ultimately arrived at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 with 482,000 and has since sold 2.9 million copies in the U.S.

The stylistic curveball "Run the World (Girls)" is -- so far -- not performing comparably to either of "Fierce's" first singles. In fact, it's behaving more like the lead-off track from B's 2006 sophomore album "B'Day" -- "Deja Vu."

"Deja Vu" started at No. 3 on the Digital Songs chart with 75,000 (back when that number was a fairly handsome sum in the early days of digital sales). However, it quickly fell down the list, dropping to No. 4 in its second week with 66,000 and then tumbling out of the top 10 in its fourth frame on the list. On the Airplay chart, it spent five weeks in the top 10, topping out at No. 7.

"Deja Vu" peaked at No. 4 on the Billboard Hot 100, spending just two weeks in the top 10. "B'Day's" second single, "Ring the Alarm," faired about as well, never moving more than 56,000 downloads in a week, and peaking at No. 13 on the Airplay chart and at No. 11 on the Hot 100.

Weirdly, even though both "Deja Vu" and "Alarm" were received somewhat cooly, "B'Day" still exploded at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 chart with 541,000 sold in its first week. (Perhaps, one could surmise, its handsome debut was generated by goodwill earned from the performance of her smash first album "Dangerously in Love.")

It wasn't until "Irreplaceable" -- released four months after "Deja Vu" -- did Beyonce find a certifiable smash hit from "B'Day." The track spent a whopping 10 weeks at No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100, 11 weeks atop the Hot 100 Airplay chart, and four weeks leading Digital Songs. In turn, it helped lift the "B'Day" back into the top 10 on the Billboard 200 chart and propelled it to a cumulative 3.3 million albums sold.

So, while "Run the World" isn't setting the charts on fire -- it's not the end of the world for Beyonce -- nor for Lady Gaga. "B'Day" still blew up without a blockbuster lead track, and, once "Irreplaceable" hit, the album found an extended life. As for Gaga -- never underestimate the buying power of her legions of little monsters and her ability to capture the public's attention as we inch closer to the release of "Born This Way."

TAGS: Radio , Record Labels , Rock & Pop , R&B/Hip-Hop

Subscribe to Billboard magazine today!

Links referenced within this article

Lady Gaga's "Judas,"

http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/industry/digital-and-mobile/lady-gaga-judas-single-leaks-listen-1005136672.story

"Born This Way,"

http://www.billboard.com/news/lady-gaga-s-born-this-way-premieres-1005031562.story#/news/lady-gaga-s-born-this-way-premieres-1005031562.story

Billboard Hot 100's 1,000th No. 1 single when it debuted atop the list

http://www.billboard.com/news/lady-gaga-s-born-this-way-premieres-1005031562.story#/news/lady-gaga-s-born-this-way-premieres-1005031562.story

she'll release a new track via iTunes -- "Edge of Glory"

http://www.ladygaga.com/forum/default.aspx?tid=503935&cid=594

"Run the World (Girls)"

http://www.billboard.com/column/the-juice/listen-beyonce-s-girls-who-run-the-world-1005142152.story#/column/the-juice/listen-beyonce-s-girls-who-run-the-world-1005142152.story

Radio

http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/industry/radio

Record Labels

http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/industry/record-labels

Rock & Pop

http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/genre/rock-and-pop

R&B/Hip-Hop

http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/genre/randb-hip-hop

Subscribe to Billboard magazine today!

http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/subscriptions

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gezzz, people are reading into toooo much. They haven't even released their albums yet. Can people let them breath

No!

If this were Janet they and no doubt some of u would be calling out on it and calling it a flop.

If anything we are being too soft on these wannabes.

No!

If this were Janet they and no doubt some of u would be calling out on it and calling it a flop.

agree, but i think lady gaga will have the bigger numbers, since she is the second coming of madonna in terms of all those queeny ass stans who think they can make no wrong shit

No!

and Japtok would be one of the main ones calling out on it :filenails:

Blame beyonce fans... they make her seem god like she can't make any mistakes at this point. Her fans will ruin her career in the long run...

No we won't. Beyonce's fans always go hard for her, and that's why she's always giving back to us. It's part of the reason why no celebrity is bold enough to talk shit about Beyonce.

No!

u betta PREACH twisted !!! cause that's exactly what some folks were saying about DISCPINE cd when it was released..even w/the cd entering at #1 on both the "pop" & "hiphop-r&b" album charts-200,000 copies sold :yep:

No we won't. Beyonce's fans always go hard for her, and that's why she's always giving back to us. It's part of the reason why no celebrity is bold enough to talk shit about Beyonce.

Some are, but they always get their asses handed back to them

Some are, but they always get their asses handed back to them

Right. Hence why that one man issued an apology after he tried to say Beyonce didn't write that one song with Justin Timberlake, a song she never claimed to have written anyway.

Sometimes I wish Janet fans were more like them. We wouldn't have to put up with so much bullshit.

Right. Hence why that one man issued an apology after he tried to say Beyonce didn't write that one song with Justin Timberlake, a song she never claimed to have written anyway.

Sometimes I wish Janet fans were more like them. We wouldn't have to put up with so much bullshit.

What do you mean?

Caca is/was hitting #1 left and right on itunes with a song that it wasn't even supposed to be a single so how is she stalling ? :unsure:

And since when do we take what Billboard says so seriously? It was just last week or something that they were saying that Gargoyle broke the debut tour record when everybody their mama and their pet knows that it's not true so is this just a case of selective memory or that article didn't make it here? :unsure:

Fraudga is coming back from a huge album (blame the queeny phags) so everything that doesn't do as good or better then that album will be looked at as a flop which unfortunately is not the case .

And as for conchita, let's not forget what happened during the B-day era ...

What do you mean?

In the Janet thread a while back on Beyonce World, we had a discussion about Superbowl, and this one girl said Janet fans kinda did nothing about the blacklisting. We kinda just laid there and took it (71.gif). She was like Beyonce fans woulda stormed Clear Channel emails, twitters, etc. They would have tracked down the right ppl and been ig'nant. And it's true. As crazy as Beyonce fans make themselves out to be, they get the damn job done. Just a few weeks ago, they were dragging the Sony twitter for a press release. THE VERY NEXT DAY, we got a press release from Sony. All the celebrities/stars who have said something negative about Beyonce have issued apologies to Beyonce because the fans dragged them on Twitter. Say what you want, but they get the fucking job done.

Janet fans can't even get Billboard to retract their statement about Gaga having the most successful debut tour. That's one of the Janet records we're most proud of. Like WTF? The only time we've really mobilized:

I've actually considered doing a little campaign to get Janet fans to get Janet back in good with Clear Channel Radio. But in the long run it would've been pointless because no one would have participated. I would've been on my own. Just look my Janet threads in the Janet section. Those are basically solo threads.

Just look at Sean on Twitter. No one is bold enough to say something slick about Janet when he's around because they know better. We need more aggressive fans like him. Sean gets the job done and doesn't let anyone talk shit about Janet. I would even throw myself in there as well. If we'd assert Janet in mainstream society and stop letting her influence and impact get swept under the rug, we wouldn't have to put up with shit like EW calling Janet the "Hot Mess of 2008".

In the Janet thread a while back on Beyonce World, we had a discussion about Superbowl, and this one girl said Janet fans kinda did nothing about the blacklisting. We kinda just laid there and took it (71.gif). She was like Beyonce fans woulda stormed Clear Channel emails, twitters, etc. They would have tracked down the right ppl and been ig'nant. And it's true. As crazy as Beyonce fans make themselves out to be, they get the damn job done. Just a few weeks ago, they were dragging the Sony twitter for a press release. THE VERY NEXT DAY, we got a press release from Sony. All the celebrities/stars who have said something negative about Beyonce have issued apologies to Beyonce because the fans dragged them on Twitter. Say what you want, but they get the fucking job done.

Janet fans can't even get Billboard to retract their statement about Gaga having the most successful debut tour. That's one of the Janet records we're most proud of. Like WTF? The only time we've really mobilized:

I've actually considered doing a little campaign to get Janet fans to get Janet back in good with Clear Channel Radio. But in the long run it would've been pointless because no one would have participated. I would've been on my own. Just look my Janet threads in the Janet section. Those are basically solo threads.

Just look at Sean on Twitter. No one is bold enough to say something slick about Janet when he's around because they know better. We need more aggressive fans like him. Sean gets the job done and doesn't let anyone talk shit about Janet. I would even throw myself in there as well. If we'd assert Janet in mainstream society and stop letting her influence and impact get swept under the rug, we wouldn't have to put up with shit like EW calling Janet the "Hot Mess of 2008".

In any event, I think Janet's work should speak for itself. I remember there were request threads on the old board to get Janet's music played on the radio. I think it was just to exhausting when radio stations wouldn't play her back during the 20 Y.O. era. I wasn't on during the whole Superbowl fiasco, but I made sure to request her music back in 2004. It seemed pointless because they were hellbent on blacklisting her.

Archived