ThatStaleJuice asks: Who's the Queen of R&B?

art

Who's the Queen of R&B?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Who's the Queen of R&B?

• Alicia Keys
    • Ashanti
    • Beyonce
    • Brandy
    • Ciara
    • Faith Evans
    • Jennifer Hudson
    • Keri Hilson
    • Kelly Rowland
    • Mary J. Blige
    • Mariah Carey
    • Melanie Fiona
    • Fantasia lol
    • Toni Braxton
    • Monica
    • Keyshia Cole

Last week we asked you vote for you felt was the ultimate Queen Of Pop, and just days ago you decided that the Queen Of Hip Hop title belonged to none other than Missy Elliott.

Now, after a number of requests sent in by medium of the That Grape Juice comment sections, the question you have all been waiting to answer is finally here.

Who is the Ultimate Queen Of R&B?

http://thatgrapejuice.net/2011/08/queen-rb/#more-43224

Vocal Ability?

Live Performance Skill?

Creative Integrity?

Sonic Innovation?

Impact on Pop Culture?

Longevity?

:coffee:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a list. :mellow:

I remember when I used to warn and suspend him on the other forum for spamming the forum with his advertisements lol

That was annoying. He also used to lift threads from the old forum and pass them off as news on his site.

But Whitney isn't as R&B as people make it seem.

That reminds me of this:

Transcript from the infamous Diane Sawyer interview:

DIANE SAWYER

(Voice Over) They have separated twice, but always come back to each other. And some people have worried that it's because he has a controlling hold on her, stemming from the days when Houston was under fire from black critics, who accused her of selling out, of being too white.

DIANE SAWYER

(Voice Over) At the 1989 Soul Train Awards, a black audience briefly booed her name.

FEMALE ONE, AWARDS ANNOUNCER

"Where Do Broken Hearts Go," Whitney Houston.

DIANE SAWYER

(Voice Over) So the critics say Brown gave her street credibility, though it does seem at times she goes out of her way to defer to him, even when she won her 2000 Grammy for best R&B performance.

WHITNEY HOUSTON

And honey, this one's for you, the original R&B king. I love you. This for y'all.

:filenails:

But Whitney isn't as R&B as people make it seem.

People have criticized this time and time again but her roots lie in R&B and her recent material is R&B. Her biggest records may have Pop-based but I think if you spoke to her she'd consider herself an R&B artist before a Pop artist. Either her or Mariah is the Queen Of R&B -- although I'm more reluctant to give Mariah the R&B title.

That reminds me of this:

Transcript from the infamous Diane Sawyer interview:

DIANE SAWYER

(Voice Over) They have separated twice, but always come back to each other. And some people have worried that it's because he has a controlling hold on her, stemming from the days when Houston was under fire from black critics, who accused her of selling out, of being too white.

DIANE SAWYER

(Voice Over) At the 1989 Soul Train Awards, a black audience briefly booed her name.

FEMALE ONE, AWARDS ANNOUNCER

"Where Do Broken Hearts Go," Whitney Houston.

DIANE SAWYER

(Voice Over) So the critics say Brown gave her street credibility, though it does seem at times she goes out of her way to defer to him, even when she won her 2000 Grammy for best R&B performance.

WHITNEY HOUSTON

And honey, this one's for you, the original R&B king. I love you. This for y'all.

:filenails:

People have criticized this time and time again but her roots lie in R&B and her recent material is R&B. Her biggest records may have Pop-based but I think if you spoke to her she'd consider herself an R&B artist before a Pop artist. Either her or Mariah is the Queen Of R&B -- although I'm more reluctant to give Mariah the R&B title.

I recognized that she embraced R&B later in her career. Though she had some good material when she indulged more into R&B, I don't think it's enough to warrant Queen of R&B.

And if I don't think Nippy is that R&B, there's no way that I would think Mariah Carey is anywhere near that throne.

I get a lot of shit for this, but I think that Janet is more R&B than the two.

Archived