ThatStaleJuice asks: Who's the Queen of R&B?

art

Who's the Queen of R&B?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Who's the Queen of R&B?

• Alicia Keys
    • Ashanti
    • Beyonce
    • Brandy
    • Ciara
    • Faith Evans
    • Jennifer Hudson
    • Keri Hilson
    • Kelly Rowland
    • Mary J. Blige
    • Mariah Carey
    • Melanie Fiona
    • Fantasia lol
    • Toni Braxton
    • Monica
    • Keyshia Cole

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really never saw Whitney as too white, that was those advicers trying to make her into some pop queen, Whitney was raised in the Church, you wanna have a sista that can belt one out? Most came str8 out a church gospel Choir, and Whitney did, even on some of her pop records she sang her ass off with more soul than most. Whitney was at her best doing R&B with a crossover appeal, one of my fav's:

The Whitney thing did happen, the booing that is. That's why her label made her do an R&B album, ergo "I'm Your Baby Tonight".

Clive marketed her as a Pop artist who could cross over into R&B. Same with Tommy and Mariah. Neither one of them are true R&B artists like say Janet.

The Whitney thing did happen, the booing that is. That's why her label made her do an R&B album, ergo "I'm Your Baby Tonight".

Clive marketed her as a Pop artist who could cross over into R&B. Same with Tommy and Mariah. Neither one of them are true R&B artists like say Janet.

Im looking at the comments on the Whitney youtube video I posted, folks are naming her, Mariah, and Celine as "their" ultimate divas, someone said (old) Mariah, anyone for me I like to jam, and I can't with none of them, not like Janet Im not saying Janet is a powerhouse vocalists, but when she in concert that bitch performs her ass off. :filenails:

Exactly, the thing with Janet is the people are quick to latch her to Madonna and MJ who aren't seen a R&B artists (well MJ is definitely more pop than R&B).

Janet is more of an R&B crossover queen that at times would embrace her pop following.

Im looking at the comments on the Whitney youtube video I posted, folks are naming her, Mariah, and Celine as "their" ultimate divas, someone said (old) Mariah, anyone for me I like to jam, and I can't with none of them, not like Janet Im not saying Janet is a powerhouse vocalists, but when she in concert that bitch performs her ass off. :filenails:

That's typical of the 23-35 age demographic. Those are the three vocalists that everyone grew up with, so it's common for them to be placed on a pedastal.

I didn't know they booed Whitney *searches for the youtube clip*

The Soul Train Awards audiences used to be so ratchet. :lmao: I remember reading that they booed Aaliyah back in 1995. They also booed Biggie back in 1997.

Her first album is a balance of both tbh.

True but it was way more R&B than what followed. I remember having this discussion with forumers who were in their 20s and remembered the bit of backlash she received which was why she went more R&B with her third album. Whitney was always a more polished R&B act but she wasn't as gritty or edgy as Janet.

The soul train audience was crucial back in the day. Whitney getting booed was ICONIC! People talked about that for years. Ironically she met Bobby Brown that same night. And many speculated that one of the reasons she married him was to reclaim some of her more urban identity. Biggie, Brandy and JANET were also booed at the STA. If they didn't like you, saw you as a sellout or you didn't show up for your awards (which was Janet's situation) you were getting booed. :lol:

The soul train audience was crucial back in the day. Whitney getting booed was ICONIC! People talked about that for years. Ironically she met Bobby Brown that same night. And many speculated that one of the reasons she married him was to reclaim some of her more urban identity. Biggie, Brandy and JANET were also booed at the STA. If they didn't like you, saw you as a sellout or you didn't show up for your awards (which was Janet's situation) you were getting booed. :lol:

When was this?

Archived