Shady For Some But Tell me You Don't Agree

Idrag4mj

As jurors deliberate the fate of the man accused of killing her brother Michael, Janet Jackson returned to Australia this week to resume her sold-out ‘Number Ones’ tour.

Greeted by a horde of her ever-loyal fans, the superstar engaged with them before heading back her hotel ahead of her next show in the country.

The worldwide trek finally has its curtain call in February next year; which couldn’t come sooner if you ask us. This tour was necessary in that it allowed her to re-build relationships with promoters following the drama caused by the ill-fated ‘Rock Witchu’ trek. What’s more, it also enabled her to rebuild her international presence. However, it’s quite simply time to move on.

At 45, as phenomenal as she looks, she faces an uphill struggle. A struggle which ultimately becomes that much steeper with every year she delays a return to the studio. For, as much as we despise the industry age bias, it’s there – alive and kicking. One needn’t look further than mainstream radio, iTunes, and the Billboard Hot 100, for proof.

Then again, who’s to say Ms. Jackson even wants to be the chart-topping force her fans so wish her to be (again). After all, there’s more money in touring, and this jaunt has re-raised her stock as a high-grossing travelling act.

If that is indeed the case, I’m going to need Janet to stop teasing us with news of “new music”, so as for me to lay certain day-dreams of mine to rest.

You know, the ones where she re-teams Jimmy Jam, Terry Lewis, and Darkchild. The ones where she hires a new choreographer (or at least gets help with the current one). The ones where she looks at the success of Madonna’s latter career and takes note. The one where she remembers she can actually sing, and returns to projecting her voice instead of whispering. The one where she signs with a major label who fully believe in and back her. And the one where she realises that the market-place is different today and it’s increasingly difficult to rest on the laurels of who you were. A boy can dream, ay….

http://thatgrapejuice.net/2011/11/hot-shots-janet-jackson-fanfare/

To the bolded :cheers:

true ...sam admitted that he is a stan..he just always says things how he sees them

But the thing is he said NOTHING different from what alot of Janet fans been saying for yeeeeears. Ppl can say it til they are BLUE in the face but Janet is still gonna be Janet aka an UNPRESSED artist (unlike her contemps..Madonna,Mariah,etc)

It sounds like he really wants a new album, and a hit one at that. Nothing wrong with wishing, but fans shouldn't hinge all their hopes on it being a success. He's right about the age bias. J.Lo and Madonna went Top 5 on the Hot 100 in their 40s and 50s respectively, but look what they did to get there. Janet and her team may really have to look at a hot feature if they want chart success this time around. Only unlike 'Call On Me', the accessory shouldn't outweigh song quality.

Ugh, I have a love hate relationship with That Grape Juice, mainly with the comments tho, its like a breeding ground for Beystans & assholes. But I never REALLY had a problem with Sam or Trent (besides the annoying & pointless Rihanna shade).

I also hate that both Sam & Trent will shade ANYBODY but Mariah, in their world & blogs she's perfection, and I love her (not a stan but Im a fan) but Miss Cannon does have flaws too, many, I mean how bout asking her to stop the whispering (her's gets on my nerves as much as Janet's does, if not more)

It sounds like he really wants a new album, and a hit one at that. Nothing wrong with wishing, but fans shouldn't hinge all their hopes on it being a success. He's right about the age bias. J.Lo and Madonna went Top 5 on the Hot 100 in their 40s and 50s respectively, but look what they did to get there. Janet and her team may really have to look at a hot feature if they want chart success this time around. Only unlike 'Call On Me', the accessory shouldn't outweigh song quality.

They would dog Janet more....

I agree with him.

But truth be told, I just want to enjoy a great album with new music, amazing performances, and another tour. There's no doubt in my mind that she'll have some level of success, but I'm not interested in Janet having to compromise in order to do what it takes just to rack up some more #1 singles or albums.

I'm truly here to enjoy the quality.

I agree with him.

But truth be told, I just want to enjoy a great album with new music, amazing performances, and another tour. There's no doubt in my mind that she'll have some level of success, but I'm not interested in Janet having to compromise in order to do what it takes just to rack up some more #1 singles or albums.

I'm truly here to enjoy the quality.

Most people would want quality but that would slit their wrist for a number one..

Most people would want quality but that would slit their wrist for a number one..

She already has #1s. She has 10 albums. Many fans forget or take for granted that she's been in the entertainment industry since her childhood.

We cannot compare Janet to the current artists of today. Your biggest stars right now have only gotten started in the last 10 years and are trying to make their stamp in music history by continuously releasing music. Janet was already a legend 10 years ago.

This year, we got the tour and a book. She's still touring, will start working on a film, and then an album down the road. What more can she do?

Once something new from Janet comes out, it's eaten, chewed, digested, and dissected, then the diehard fans instantly want something else. It doesn't work that way.

She already has #1s. She has 10 albums. Many fans forget or take for granted that she's been in the entertainment industry since her childhood.

We cannot compare Janet to the current artists of today. Your biggest stars right now have only gotten started in the last 10 years and are trying to make their stamp in music history by continuously releasing music. Janet was already a legend 10 years ago.

This year, we got the tour and a book. She's still touring, will start working on a film, and then an album down the road. What more can she do?

Once something new from Janet comes out, it's eaten, chewed, digested, and dissected, then the diehard fans instantly want something else. It doesn't work that way.

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

That's why I want her to go totally left field..

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

That's why I want her to go totally left field..

I understand you completely.

Ever since MJ passed, I've learned to appreciate music and respect the industry. To me, it's a gift and luxury, not something that should be rushed or disposable.

If she did do something completely unexpected, I'd lose my mind. I live for those spontaneous Janet moments! But in the end, I cherish everything Janet does. :D

I really think a lot of fans don't actually understand what Janet is to the music world. I think some of you just think she's an aging popstar just like j.Lo and Madge.

Janet is different. Firstly, she's black and secondly she is talented.

Why is being black relevant? Cause black don't crack, she's ageless, and due to her cultural heritage can master and slay in all forms of music, she has the freedom to adapt to music to fit her age etc. Madge and others don't have that, they are stuck in pop. Ain't nobody gonna buy madonna singing gospel songs are they.

Unlike madge and j.Lo, Janet has exceptional talent. Janet doesn't need to collaborate with timberlake to get a hit, or become a judge on some show, Janet has the talent to sell her work solo..

The last two years, from VMAs to now, Janet has achieved rivigorated success through hard grafting on her own, all her OWN work, performances, a book, an acting job, the tour. All her! Why do some of u not appreciate this, and how much of a role model she is for it. I see these dumb comments congratulating rihanna for her no.1s like she worked hard for it. Nah she's LA Reids puppet, she could never hold up a career on get own. Janets work this last 2 years has been brought on through her own business strategies, using her name and talent and previous success to push forward contracts, she's not a puppet. Not enough of respect this.

And my last point is, she is more than just a popstar, she is a CHILD star, to this day, and will always be that CHILD star that made it. She's a symbol of the American entertainment culture, part of a music royal family. She can not and will not become 'irrelevant', whether or not she has a chart hit again.

He didn't say anything we hadn't already said. Spare me the Madonna part, and people have really let the whispering excuse become a cliche. The last album is full of audible vocals, along with the last few releases.

His specialty. He has a habit of lifting posts and opinions from this forum and passing it off as "news" on his site.

I really think a lot of fans don't actually understand what Janet is to the music world. I think some of you just think she's an aging popstar just like j.Lo and Madge.

Janet is different. Firstly, she's black and secondly she is talented.

Why is being black relevant? Cause black don't crack, she's ageless, and due to her cultural heritage can master and slay in all forms of music, she has the freedom to adapt to music to fit her age etc. Madge and others don't have that, they are stuck in pop. Ain't nobody gonna buy madonna singing gospel songs are they.

Unlike madge and j.Lo, Janet has exceptional talent. Janet doesn't need to collaborate with timberlake to get a hit, or become a judge on some show, Janet has the talent to sell her work solo..

The last two years, from VMAs to now, Janet has achieved rivigorated success through hard grafting on her own, all her OWN work, performances, a book, an acting job, the tour. All her! Why do some of u not appreciate this, and how much of a role model she is for it. I see these dumb comments congratulating rihanna for her no.1s like she worked hard for it. Nah she's LA Reids puppet, she could never hold up a career on get own. Janets work this last 2 years has been brought on through her own business strategies, using her name and talent and previous success to push forward contracts, she's not a puppet. Not enough of respect this.

And my last point is, she is more than just a popstar, she is a CHILD star, to this day, and will always be that CHILD star that made it. She's a symbol of the American entertainment culture, part of a music royal family. She can not and will not become 'irrelevant', whether or not she has a chart hit again.

:lmao: :lmao: Its eating you inside isn't it? What does that have to do with anything? People are going to keep liking Rihanna, get over it, congratulating her on 11 #1's isnt hurting Janet 1 bit and it probably dont bother her, the only person it's bothering is YOU. You were making a somewhat valid point before you went there. Jeez let it go, the bitch is on top right now, get over it, it's not blocking Janet or blocking her, so thats completely irrelevant to her success and Janet fans supporting her is completely irrelevant to Janet's past present or future success. (I do love how you say it like we have to sneak around to congratulate Rihanna like its a big secret that your not supposed to know but you caught us, that did make me laugh)

Also with the age/black thing, look @ Diana Ross & Aretha, they both started out as kids too but by their mid 40's the hits stop comming, and neither of them stopped recording, my point is being black doesn't gurantee talent (Hell LaToya's black too)but having hits at this age shouldnt be top of the list for musicians of that caliber once you've been in the industry for 30 years (hell in Janet's case 38).

So basically I see and understand and somewhat agree with what your saying for the most part (except for the part that had NOTHING to do with the convo) but Janet still dosent have it THAT easy. I mean your comparisons about her with JLO & Madge are correct but still they did those things and got hits, Janet released Make Me (a pretty solid song) and actually promoted it almost better than she promoted Feedback (hell Id say better) and it didnt do anything on the pop charts, or the R&B charts, thus proving that if she does want more chart hits (which I doubt she cares about after a 38 yr career in this industry) she's gotta really put alot of work into it just like everybody else past 40. She's different in all the ways you listed, but its still not that easy for her. Personally I dont care what she does on the charts or ofcourse what awards she gets or certifications, I just want a top notch quality from beginning to end album with great promo and no banning from any radio outlets, and I think most would agree with that, thats what matters to me. But to alot of fans, all of the above, plus hits, plus awards, plus this that & those also, I think a large amount want her to be who she was between 89-97, but between those albums she was 24, 27, & 31, she's 45 now, she's not gonna be able to give us every thing we got from those 3 eras, so I think it's too much to expect that from her. She's gonna give us what she got, when she got it, and successful or not thats what she's been doing, and I dont see that stopping nor do I want it too (despite my feelings about Discipline). So Janet's uphill battle isnt as rough as like Toni Braxton's but it's not gonna be smooth either, but no matter what race you are, for most women in this industry the career turns into a uphill battle regardless

true ...sam admitted that he is a stan..he just always says things how he sees them

Sam used to post on the old Janet forum. He stopped posting as much when I started to suspend him for spamming, when he kept using the board to get his hits for his blog. He always picked the more critical Janet comments for his posts, and he was never known for his originality as he lifted everything from the JJ.NET forum, and now, here.

I'm pretty sure he's a guest here.

Sam used to post on the old Janet forum. He stopped posting as much when I started to suspend him for spamming, when he kept using the board to get his hits for his blog. He always picked the more critical Janet comments for his posts, and he was never known for his originality as he lifted everything from the JJ.NET forum, and now, here.

I'm pretty sure he's a guest here.

:lmao: .well old habits die hard

Archived