JANET TWEETED ABOUT A RACIST DOLL SENT TO HER

Shawn1814

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And it was perfect timing to change the twitter name. It will go down in infamy. -_- What made the whole situation funny is that Janet hadn't tweeted in over two weeks, and this is the first thing she tweets? :lmao: It was just so random that she tweeted it, and then just dipped out with no further explanation. :lmao:

I get the gist of the tweet, and what Janet was trying to relay, but it was just so random and the "How does Maria make you feel?" part that made it so funny. :lmao:

Janet knew damn well how we would feel. :lmao:

Exactly.. :lmao: She posted and was gone..and "How does Maria make you feel" was the kii.. :lmao: The whole situation was just :lmao::lmao:

My spirit was NOT having it. :lmao: @ her twitter activity shoot up 1200%! :lmao:

Janet knew damn well how we would feel. :lmao:

!!!! Knowing DAMN well a considerable amount of her fans are Black! :lmao:

OK...Pardon my ignorance, but what is so "racist" about that ugly assed doll? :unsure:

I don't think it used to be seen as generally racist.. Some people started to use the word golly/gollywog in a derogatory way to describe black people, likely after immigrants came over to work after the war and some saw them as a threat. If a word or image is hijacked by some to be use in a derogatory manner then the original word or image is no longer seen in the same way anymore. The word 'paki', a short version of Pakistani became an offensive word because it was used in a derogatory manner. When words like gollywogs/wogs are used in sentences like 'send the wogs back to their own country' then you can see how it is no longer an innocent word or image.

Those dolls aren't generally regarded as racist over here. I actually had no idea of their history until Oprah's visit last year when a prominent doll shop in Melbourne had to remove them from their display window at the request of Harpo. But it seems like an odd thing to send to Janet - or any celebrity. :umm:

cause it was sent on purpose to be racist. Have you ever heard of a black person with that shit since they started making them? No

You don't know that. If an Australian fan sent it to her there's a good chance they had no idea of its origins. The reason I say it's odd is because it's so damn ugly.

It's been part of Australia for decades. You logic fails. They knew what it meant have a seat :mellow:

It's been part of Australia for decades. You logic fails. They knew what it meant have a seat :mellow:

What the hell does that prove? I'm living proof that the history associated with the doll is not common knowledge here. You still don't know that it was sent with the intention of being racist and until you do I will give them the benefit of the doubt.

What the hell does that prove? I'm living proof that the history associated with the doll is not common knowledge here. You still don't know that it was sent with the intention of being racist and until you do I will give them the benefit of the doubt.

ok and what is "lifelike" supposed to mean or did you suddenly forget that part?

I know TE's response to this is on the next page, and I just KNOW it's gonna be a swift snatch.

nothing was a snatch and I wish y'all quit being so naive toward this subject. It was advertised as "lifelike" and the fact that you're black and still don't get it is a shame :sigh:

ok and what is "lifelike" supposed to mean or did you suddenly forget that part?

I didn't forget anything, nor am I denying anything. Quit trying me like I don't understand how the doll could offend or confuse someone because I do. I get it. But there is nothing to suggest it was sent maliciously given that it came from a country where they are merchandised freely in shop windows like any other rag doll or stuffed toy. I'm not ruling it out completely but I'm telling you there's a good chance geography is playing a big part in this.

Archived