First Lauryn Hill now Jazmine Sullivan?!

DJ Y2K Malone™

I’m beyond shocked. I never knew in a million years Jazmine Sullivan would leave music. But unfortunately that was the case yesterday; and what a start to kick off 2011. Miss Jazmine Sullivan has announced via Twitter that she is retiring from music to “catch up on herself”. Now we’ve heard this before via Lauryn Hill’s comment in 2002. She said the exact same thing, and it’s been 9 years and still no release. I can’t believe Jazmine would do this. I mean, the Grammy’s are in the next few weeks and Jazmine has been nominated for two. Why did she do this???

I honestly can’t bear to hear another chick in R&B (mainstream wise) who doesn’t have talent. I mean Ciara is good but she’s trying to be a pop icon (not working). Beyonce is great BUT she has been praised more as a pop icon and no longer sings much R&B/Soul as she did back in ‘03 & earlier. Keri Hilson is good BUT it’s hard to imagine her singing soul. She’s more of a pop artist . The only artist who’s out now who has a soulful voice is Keyshia Cole but her success is slowly diminishing like Jazmine’s - underrated. I really want Jazmine back now!!! She’s beyond talented and soulful and she was possibly the only R&B chick out now who wasn’t scared to think outside of the box. With Jazmine gone I don’t know what’s going to happen next. From this I can just sense a sign that R&B is going to be like Hip-Hop: swallowed underground.

“I promised myself when it wasn't fun anymore i wouldn't do it. and here i am. i love u all and appreciate u soooooo much. u have no idea how much u've inspired me and fed my ego but the truth is that i have to believe in me whether you all do or not. and thats what i'm lookin for. that belief in myself. me. I. i love us. thanks for being here for me and riding with me on this journey. let us continue

Sullivan has since deleted the tweets from her Twitter account.

She has yet to release an official statement on her business decision.

http://hiphopwired.com/2011/01/03/jazmine-sullivan-announces-retirement-from-music/

I will find out if this true or not... I know one of her first cuzins. She has seemed over it for some reason lately... When she was at the soul train awards and they panned the camera to her when she thought no one was looking she looked so depressed. I like her voice most rnb acts flop anyway hot boy... they dont sell all that well with a couple of exceptions.... Might be something personal going on.

Maybe she needed to break away from Missy a bit. I dunno?

Maybe she ain't mainstream enough

Her album debuted @ 17, first week sales of 57,000

That's already more than Ciara!

I feel bad for artists who are under the wing of producers who want to be artists themselves. Whether Diddy or Missy, the artist always suffers.

When Jay Electronica signed to Jay-Z's Roc Nation instead of Sean "Diddy" Combs' Bad Boy records, the "Shiny Suit Man" expressed his disappointment on Twitter, while Electronica's fans breathed a collective sigh of relief. Why, you ask? Well, because Diddy doesn't have the best track record when it comes to being the custodian of artists' careers. Need proof? We have 20 examples for you: http://www.thebvx.com/2010/11/17/dont-sign-with-diddy-a-history-of-bad-boy-fails/?icid=main%7Chtmlws-bv-w%7Cdl3%7C%7C184810

Archived