The TLC thread

RedSimba

I saw Jarry commented on it and nearly fell out my seat. I've been waiting over a decade to see this video! :excited:

I love that it's faithful to the lyrics (and of course the cats :P), but I can understand why it wasn't released. I think the style fell in line with the On The TLC Tip era and they were aiming for a more mature image. All the same, still a good video from the greatest girl group ever! :D

LOL sure did, I like it, it's not as good as the 3rd version but for what it is, it's great, I LOVE the dancing, they gettin down, and it's SO 94 lol. I knew from the sec I saw both clips of the 1st 2 versions that I'd probably end up liking all versions. Now I REALLLLLY wanna see version 1, even tho I hear Lisa HATED that version, lol, all 3 of them demanded the do-over after that 1 lol. But I wanna see it, plus Creep REALLY is my fave TLC song, it's SO everything, and it's remixes slay too.

Yeah I agree, the final version stands out the most and it's so classic with the colorful PJs. I still want to see the first version too ~ my curiosity's been piqued ever since watching my CrazyVideoCool VHS lol. I predict a good-better-best trend.

Yeah "Creep" is definitely in my top 5 TLC songs ~ it's T-Boz's signature song for sure, (Chilli's is "No Scrubs," and Left Eye's was probably her "Waterfalls" rap).

Oh yes, Creep had some of the best remixes! Untouchables Mix, Maxx Remix, love them all.

• Upvote 1

Yeah I agree, the final version stands out the most and it's so classic with the colorful PJs. I still want to see the first version too ~ my curiosity's been piqued ever since watching my CrazyVideoCool VHS lol. I predict a good-better-best trend.

Yeah "Creep" is definitely in my top 5 TLC songs ~ it's T-Boz's signature song for sure, (Chilli's is "No Scrubs," and Left Eye's was probably her "Waterfalls" rap).

Oh yes, Creep had some of the best remixes! Untouchables Mix, Maxx Remix, love them all.

I agree AND I HAD THAT VHS!!! LOL, yea what I REALLY want to see about the 1st version is the dance when it's 3 lines of dancers directly behind the 3 members dancing in a ally, THAT looks good. Yea I love the PJ scenes of the third version, those alone SLAY, all 3 of them looked so damn sexy. Yea that song is EVERY reason why T-Boz is my fave member, she goes IN on dem vocals. Yea besides her Waterfalls rap I'd probably say Aint Too Proud To Beg since she did the chorus to that 1 and so much of the song.

Yea I have all of their alternate mixes are good, but Creep just was great.

Btw... Is there a track by them that everyone seems to love but it's kinda meh for you?

For me and the longest time it was Waterfalls, like I got it, and understood why it was so hot and popular, but in all honesty it was 1 of my least fave songs from them, and tho I love it more now, it's still 1 of my least favorite songs on the CSC album (Creep,Diggin On You,Red Light Special, Let's Do It Again, If I Was Your Girlfriend, Switch, Sumthin Wicked?PLEASE, granted tho Waterfalls falls in line with that)

I agree AND I HAD THAT VHS!!! LOL, yea what I REALLY want to see about the 1st version is the dance when it's 3 lines of dancers directly behind the 3 members dancing in a ally, THAT looks good. Yea I love the PJ scenes of the third version, those alone SLAY, all 3 of them looked so damn sexy. Yea that song is EVERY reason why T-Boz is my fave member, she goes IN on dem vocals. Yea besides her Waterfalls rap I'd probably say Aint Too Proud To Beg since she did the chorus to that 1 and so much of the song.

Yea I have all of their alternate mixes are good, but Creep just was great.

Oh sweet, my friends used to watch the VHS ~ they're huge TLC fans as well. Actually, just about everyone I knew loved them. ^_^

Yeah Left Eye was more involved with the first album (partially why it's one of my top 3 favorite TLC albums ~ yeah they're so close lol) , her "Waterfalls" rap is just her crowning jewel to me.

"Creep" is one of definitive songs of the 90s for sure.

Btw... Is there a track by them that everyone seems to love but it's kinda meh for you?

Not really but the closest for me is probably "No Scrubs" :ph34r: ~ I still love the song, just not as much as the rest because radio played it to death. Whenever I do listen, it's the version with Left Eye ~ she takes it up a level. B)

For me and the longest time it was Waterfalls, like I got it, and understood why it was so hot and popular, but in all honesty it was 1 of my least fave songs from them, and tho I love it more now, it's still 1 of my least favorite songs on the CSC album (Creep,Diggin On You,Red Light Special, Let's Do It Again, If I Was Your Girlfriend, Switch, Sumthin Wicked?PLEASE, granted tho Waterfalls falls in line with that)

I usually skip Waterfalls as well but not because i think it sucks, i'm just tired of it :lol:

Take Our Time >>>>>>>

Not really but the closest for me is probably "No Scrubs" :ph34r: ~ I still love the song, just not as much as the rest because radio played it to death. Whenever I do listen, it's the version with Left Eye ~ she takes it up a level. B)

That's exactly the track i was going to say :lol: I like the track but i don't get why everyone is so quick to bop to it :lol:

Oh yeah and can we give it up to their epic interludes? :excited: Aside from Janet, nobody was touching them on that front.

I usually skip Waterfalls as well but not because i think it sucks, i'm just tired of it :lol:

Take Our Time >>>>>>>

My favorite off the album! ^_^ Chilli's voice :blush:

That's exactly the track i was going to say :lol: I like the track but i don't get why everyone is so quick to bop to it :lol:

I just don't consider it one of their best. :lol: "Unpretty" on the other hand tho :D

My favourite group of all time! :cry:

Let me shamelessly re-post my thoughts on their discography.

TLC is my favourite group of all time. From day one, they came with the perfect blend of street and sexy. They were pretty girls but still "cool" enough to hang with the guys. I loved everything they stood for. Three unique voices, looks, and attitudes set them apart from all the rest. They are the quintessential cool group in my eyes.

Oooooooohhh.... On The TLC Tip was a great debut. Around the time of Kris Kross, Shai, Riff, and other rising boy groups, these chicks were one up on all of them. And the material has aged well. 'What About Your Friends' is as sharp now as it was nearly twenty years ago. 'Baby-Baby-Baby' is timeless. And the album features Left Eye's best rapping. She didn't do nearly enough of it on the others. My fave track from this is still 'Das Da Way We Like 'Em', which features all three of them rapping, and they all killed it.

CrazySexyCool is a masterpiece. When you talk about evolution in an artist, this is one of Pop's touchstones. In the space of just two years these girls had transformed from brats into sophisticated women, dripping with class. There isn't one thing I would alter about this album. Nothing. There are really no other words for it, it's just that good. And it's stood the test of time. Their slow jams on CSC are up there with the best of their peers then and now. And half of them weren't even released.

FanMail, again, is a great example of evolution and more-so modernisation. Their sound, their image, their videos; what a way to come back. 'No Scrubs' changed music. Whether or not the girls were the masterminds matters nought, their execution is what sold it. A snippet as minimal as Chilli on that swing in 'No Scrubs' is delivered with such conviction that it's no wonder they had the following they did. Everything about them seemed so effortless. You can't tell me one thing they've done ever sounded contrived, even when bringing their ho game on the blistering 'I'm Good At Being Bad'. I only wish they'd pulled more singles off this album. 'Dear Lie' was a mistake (in terms of release), and as a result 'Unpretty' is the last hit single TLC would enjoy.

3D breaks my heart. There are some great moments (namely 'Hands Up', 'Damaged', even 'Girl Talk'), but when I play it I'm still left with that feeling like they just shouldn't have done it. Piecing it together with verses Left Eye never got the final say on feels eerie (see also: the Michael album). I was let down by their work with The Neptunes and Timbaland. Sure, I had high expectations but they were warranted. The album isn't terrible, but it's a poor representation of TLC.

I will say their Best Of is electrifying, even with the chronological tracklist because although their story was tainted with controversy and ended in tragedy, their singles didn't show it. I'll never understand why Left Eye's rap wasn't on the album version of 'No Scrubs', but you get it here. Along with the Prince-penned 'Get It Up' (from PJ wub.gif) and 'Come Get Some', which suits them perfectly. The only downside being 'Whoop De Woo', which is fun, but it bothers me that they re-hashed Left Eye's verse from Toni Braxton's 'Gimme Some'. All in all though, very solid.

My ranking:

1. CrazySexyCool

2. FanMail

3. Oooooooohhh.... On The TLC Tip

4. 3D

• Upvote 1

Oh yeah and can we give it up to their epic interludes? :excited: Aside from Janet, nobody was touching them on that front.

My favorite off the album! ^_^ Chilli's voice :blush:

I just don't consider it one of their best. :lol: "Unpretty" on the other hand tho :D

Yeah mine too :lol: Well... it's always changing between Digging and Take Our Time :lol:

YES, unpretty is AMAZING :wub:

Wow, that was terrible. I'm going to say had they come out with that video, I don't think the song would have been as successful... The end product is much more visually appealing to the eyes and easier to watch multiple times. Also let me add that the final video had a much more mature, grown up, sexier look, which was such a departure from their image on their first cd.

They wrapped the movie they made for VH1, it'll be out later this year, Im nervous excited, but like I told someone I trust Biopics where the people they are about or the family it's about are hands on involved. And T&C were both on set for this every day, so I don't think it'll disappoint.