B. Scott forced to change outfit at BET Awards

RedSimba

Asking someone to wear a suit isn't homophobic. Reinforcing gender stereotypes maybe, but homophobic no.

People have to conform to dress codes all the time, especially if they are being paid. Someone who is a list status can make certain demands. This guy not so much. He needed the BET awards more than they needed him and I guess he forgot that.

Even A listers have to follow dress codes and have their outfits approved from time to time. He made the issue bigger than it was.

He DID conform to their dress code, and that is the point.

They took an issue with shoes and makeup... wait for it... AFTER he had already appeared on camera.

Go back and read, he was dressed (in the approved wardrobe) and on camera when someone took an issue and decided to pull him.

His makeup and choice of shoes should have been discussed beforehand by BET if they wanted approval over that as well. They gave him no indication of that. He has worked with BET numerous times, along with HLN, etc. They knew, at the very least, he was going to give a fully beat face on camera.

The issue here is BET and homophobia <---- There's that word again. :w00t:

He arrived, got into the agreed upon wardrobe, and was seen by those handling the production before he took his spot on camera. They should have made him remove the makeup and shoes then. Not after the start of the show and he's done his first red carpet interview.

They treated him as if was the problem (pull him off the show, make him remove his makeup, and then give his spot to someone else for most of the show), when the issue really was their fear and homophobia.

Even the sponsors of the show backed B.Scott. :lmao:

TOF honey you need to read up on the difference between confirming to gender roles and sexuality. Asking him not to wear makeup is not homophobic.

It is though, the two in this case are linked, in fact, they're almost always linked, if not always. Homophobia exists because gay men are seen as less than men. And the more feminine a gay man is, the more scorn and ridicule he will face. This is because they do not fit societal norms of masculinity.

• Upvote 3

It is though, the two in this case are linked, in fact, they're almost always linked, if not always. Homophobia exists because gay men are seen as less than men. And the more feminine a gay man is, the more scorn and ridicule he will face. This is because they do not fit societal norms of masculinity.

Homosexuality and gender roles are not the same thing.. One is being gay.. Having sexual interests in the same gender

The other isn't.. One can play a gender role and not be homosexual.. Another can be homosexual with and without a strong gender role

If bScott were straight.. Will it still be homophobia?

Homosexuality and gender roles are not the same thing.. One is being gay.. Having sexual interests in the same gender

The other isn't.. One can play a gender role and not be homosexual.. Another can be homosexual with and without a strong gender role

If bScott were straight.. Will it still be homophobia?

Point out where I said they were the same thing though.

If B Scott were straight, it would not be homophobia because there would be no homo to be phobic of. I mean duh Game :sigh:

Point out where I said they were the same thing though.

If B Scott were straight, it would not be homophobia because there would be no homo to be phobic of. I mean duh Game :sigh:

Not all gays dress like him.. And they didn't change his outfit bc he's gay.. They changed it bc it was too fem for television

Not all gays dress like him.. And they didn't change his outfit bc he's gay.. They changed it bc it was too fem for television

And where did I say that :mellow: Too fem for television, exactly. Girl shows up in no makeup and a suit, not one eyelash bats. In fact it would probably be considered fashion forward and edgy. B Scott appears in heels, long hair, and makeup, he is removed from the program and the red carpet. It's homophobia and ingrained in that is also misogyny.

• Upvote 2

And where did I say that :mellow: Too fem for television, exactly. Girl shows up in no makeup and a suit, not one eyelash bats. In fact it would probably be considered fashion forward and edgy. B Scott appears in heels, long hair, and makeup, he is removed from the program and the red carpet. It's homophobia and ingrained in that is also misogyny.

:clapping: @ Rochester

That's not homophobia... He didn't change bc he was gay... he changed because he was in heels and make up... it has nothing to do with him being gay... He can be gay in a suit

• Upvote 1

That's not homophobia... He didn't change bc he was gay... he changed because he was in heels and make up... it has nothing to do with him being gay... He can be gay in a suit

My god you are fucking dense sometimes

You're personal attacks are unwarranted

If Dennis Rodman was doing the same job and was asked to change.. NONE of you would complain or start yelling "homophobia"

BET cannot be homophobic bc they hired a gay man (and probably not the only one)

You're right. I don't think you're actually that stupid, I think you're just looking for attention by always having the "anti" opinion. In any case it's predictable and tired.

There's a difference between a straight man crossdressing and being an androgynous gay man. Do you think Prince was ever told to not wear heels? Again, no one would call it homophobia because Dennis Rodman is not gay. You know what homophobia means right? The fact is, when B Scott is feminine it's not a costume, and that hits a little too close to home for some close minded people. Dennis Rodman in a wedding dress or Prince in an assless jumpsuit are both "inappropriate" but they are digestible in a way that B Scott isn't.

You're right. I don't think you're actually that stupid, I think you're just looking for attention by always having the "anti" opinion. In any case it's predictable and tired.

The fact is, when B Scott is feminine it's not a costume, and that hits a little too close to home for some close minded people.

No.. i'm not faking this argument for the sake of it.. I have better things to do... I neither see homophobia nor do I think BET did something wrong

Yes.. that's one way to look at it.. another way to look at it.. BET hired him... BET approved the outfit but not the heels... I don't see homophobia.. I see censorship..

No.. i'm not faking this argument for the sake of it.. I have better things to do... I neither see homophobia nor do I think BET did something wrong

Yes.. that's one way to look at it.. another way to look at it.. BET hired him... BET approved the outfit but not the heels... I don't see homophobia.. I see censorship..

Well, let's agree to censorship then :rolleyes:

Well there are some gays who can't stand gay men doing women behavior and some gay women who can't stand gay women who behave like men including the way they dress....

Well there are some gays who can't stand gay men doing women behavior and some gay women who can't stand gay women who behave like men including the way they dress....

That is a form of self hate, which is directly linked to bigotry and prejudice. As a matter of fact its a direct reaction to it. There are a lot of minority groups that hate aspects of their own culture because they've been programed to do so. Many of the comments in this very thread reflect this dynamic. :coffee:

• Upvote 3