'90s Survivor: 1996 - Winner Announced!

TwistedElegance™

Sorry for the late update.

ZwMIPoz.jpg

Writers: Andre Young, Chauncey Hannibal, Teddy Riley, William Stewart, Lynise Walters, Richard Vick, Bill Withers

Producers: Teddy Riley, Skylz

Label: Interscope

Claiming eighth spot for 1996 is BLACKstreet with their breakthrough smash, 'No Diggity'. Reaching No. 1 in late 1996, 'No Diggity' ended 'Macarena''s 14-week stranglehold on the Hot 100 whilst also topping the chart in Canada and New Zealand. Built upon a loop from 1971 single 'Grandma's Hands' by Bill Withers, 'No Diggity' is aided by rap verses from hip-hop icon Dr. Dre and lesser known female rapper Queen Pen who, like BLACKstreet, was a protege of producer Teddy Riley. The song's quirky video was directed by Hype Williams who had fast become the go-to guy for fresh videos among hip-hop and R&B's then-current school of performers. The CD single features a much-loved cover/mash-up of 'Billie Jean' by Michael Jackson, with whom Teddy Riley had worked earlier in the decade. 'No Diggity' won the Grammy for Best R&B Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocals and was ranked #32 on VH1's Greatest Songs of the '90s coundtown.

Songs remaining (in alphabetical order):

Always Be My Baby - Mariah Carey

California Love - 2Pac feat. Dr. Dre & Roger Troutman

Don't Let Go (Love) - En Vogue

Ironic - Alanis Morissette

Sittin' Up In My Room - Brandy

Un-Break My Heart - Toni Braxton

You're Makin' Me High - Toni Braxton

Always Be My Baby