Lessons Learned is About Rene

J.

"I admit it; I was deluded. I married again, this time in secret to Rene Elizondo, Jr., convinced that privacy would protect the sanctity of our bond. As a wife, I reasoned that the private Janet would have a better chance than the public Janet. Lessons learned at my mother's knee were subconsciously a part of my very being: Stick by your man; loyalty is unquestioned and absolute; never abandon, never give up; tolerate what needs to be tolerated; work it out; understand; let love see you through. It took me more than a decade to see the truth about my relationship with Rene, and it happened on an evening when I thought I was going blind.

I was in Lyon, France, in 1998 on the Velvet Rope tour. In two separate accidents--one involved my dog and the other a magazine that grazed my eye--my corneas had been scratched. Somehow I made it through the show, but afterward my eyes were burning so badly that even the lights on the dashboard felt like daggers. The throbbing was excruciating. We went looking for a hospital--it was past midnight--where an impatient nurse applied a salve that only made it worse. Back at the hotel, my eyelids were swollen to the size of lipstick pencils. I cried all night. When morning came, I couldn't see. But where my eyes failed, my heart saw with a clarity I had never before known: I saw my marriage for what it was. It was that simple. My husband's concern was elsewhere. Other things dominated his attention, secret things I had failed or refused to recognize. I won't say what things because they are not mine to reveal. We'd been ensnared in a sad, sick dance. The dance involved hours of therapy but very little sincerity. The sickness was subtle. We had few arguments; there was no physical abuse. But double lives were being led; hidden agendas were being pursued. And I was seeing what I had never wanted to see. Or admit. I dislike admitting it here.

I'd been played. Millions of women have gone through this. So why is it so hard to admit that I'm among them? The public Janet feels obligated to project positive vibes. The private Janet feels obligated to take the blame. I feel I should have known better, seen it coming, been wiser, smarter, shrewder. But you learn what you learn when you learn it. The chains of codependency--where egos are merged and identities confused--are strong. To break them requires real determination. Those chains have been binding us for generations. Our parents' patterns, inherited from their parents, can haunt us for a lifetime. I'm grateful that my eyes were finally opened and my heart, though broken, is on the mend."

Read more: http://janet.club/thread/85237/unbreakable-album-discussion-thread?page=51#ixzz3nqgVaB8k

I doubt she's singing about Rene 20 years later.. Coming from a forum that freaked out about Janet postponing her Vegas dates and thinking every song is about Michael

did you even read it? She specifically uses the words codependency and lessons learned and talks about staying in a relationship that isn't healthy. 

u ok

Who's to say she wasn't thinking about it during the sessions. This came from some life experience. That's kind of how Janet operates as a songwriter. You act as if she blocked out the memory of her past.

whose to say it's one person? Lessons Learned often come from repeating the same mistakes with multiple people and learning where you are wrong ...being able to admit you're codependent means you learned something about yourself

Edited by Bailey
  • Upvote 1

no that's the same 'I, Janet' article. Janet has always been that insightful and that's why I stan for her.

As far as the song being about Rene, whew knows. It could be about ALOT of people and Janet knows enough people that it could be about somebody else's relationship that she witnessed first hand and it compelled her to write this song. The point is who cares, enjoy the music. 9 times out of 10 (and Janet warned ya'll ass on Damita Jo)...its not who you think it is.