What's In a Word? The "N" word The "F" word?

Bailey

And it's funny coming from him since just a lil while ago he was going in about how other members use those racist remarks towards him dating white guys :sigh:

Right......and I agree with you, that if nigga must be used, then everyone should be allowed to use it. That then raises the problem if how would you know whether the White guy in the parking lot just said "hey nigga, come here" or "hey ******, come here" I'd rather not have to guess.....as I said I think it's stupid to use it full stop :)

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right......and I agree with you, that if nigga must be used, then everyone should be allowed to use it. That then raises the problem if how would you know whether the White guy in the parking lot just said "hey nigga, come here" or "hey ******, come here" I'd rather not have to guess.....as I said I think it's stupid to use it full stop :)

True..so true -_-

So basically it comes down to what I said three pages ago. The N word used by blacks perpetuates a racial divide. Paris and Nicky Hilton used it in the exact same context and were torn to shreds on the old board. You can't put limitations on the English language. If I can't say it (not that I want to), then neither can you. The same goes for the F word.

We can close this thread now.

equality shouldn't have to "reach out"... i'm black.. they didn't "reach out" to me... they knew what it was.. and they voted it down.. why should equality be a marketing scheme?

should the gays and lesbians of California hire a rapper or another black celebrity... :crazy:to "reach out" to the black people

Yeah, key word. There's a lot of things in the world that people shouldn't have to do. We could list tons of things one shouldn't have to do when it comes to equal rights, but we both know that isn't the case. So yes they needed to reach out to all groups and walks of life. Even if every black person voted in favor of gay rights it would of been only 6% of the votes anyway. No where near enough to win. Hmm... I didn't hear anything about folks going up into white neighborhoods calling them names and being outraged over the 70% of white people that voted against gay rights though.

Rappers don't represent all black people, so I would try something a little more universal. Besides white kids are the ones that buy most of that stuff anyway. And yes equality is a marketing scheme. That's politics, its all about marketing.

Conservative religious groups were all in the churches and on radio saying why they disagreed with gay marriage :filenails: Gay activists, weren't and black supporters certainly weren't either.

And it's funny coming from him since just a lil while ago he was going in about how other members use those racist remarks towards him dating white guys :sigh:

you should know better than to think I would say something outright racist about anyone geez this board :wacko::blink:

So basically it comes down to what I said three pages ago. The N word used by blacks perpetuates a racial divide. Paris and Nicky Hilton used it in the exact same context and were torn to shreds on the old board. You can't put limitations on the English language. If I can't say it (not that I want to), then neither can you. The same goes for the F word.

We can close this thread now.

so the thread should be closed because you said something, your opinion, and therefore 8 pages, over 1000 views, 180+ replies later the discussion was not needed?....Riiiiiiigggggghhhhhhhhhtttttttt :sigh:

all this thread does is confirm that the words are too questionably to be used but the fact remains they have been will continue to be and it is up to the individual to decide in their own moral compass what is acceptable and what is not, I personally have used the word rarely, but I have in both negative and benign ways, however it is not part of my everyday vocabulary

Jbailey......I'm in a position where I can tell you what White people wouldnt.....now obviously I'm generalising greatly here but:

White people don't have guilt about black issues.

White people don't even think about black people too much

White people think you are an idiot to use a derogatory term to describe yourself. White people don't do that.

White people don't care whether you care what they think or not.

It's about having pride in who you are, and if you really thought you were worth anything you wouldn't use derogatory words to describe yourself.

****** has connotations of stupidity and laziness and inferiority....what ur really saying is "hey stupid, what's up" or "hey lazy" or whichever of the many negative aspects the word has. No other group of people would defend their right to use such a negative word on each other. That says a lot about the state of mind and damage done to many in the black community.

and my response to you Paul is that your judgement of the issue is clearly clouded because of your experiences, I am not saying you don't have some valid points but there is White guilt I see it all the time trust it's a generalization but it does exist because you say so doesn't make it so, you're entitled to your opinion but I think you continue to say it's stupid because that is based on your opinion if I hear two guys calling each other either word and they obviously are not being derogatory to one another I understand that context matters, and that that is their choice not mine and to argue over it in that context would be making mountains outta molehills. But my experience has not been one where I found myself thinking that my racial background was being picked apart by my peers, I went thru school doing what I do best getting A's and never feeling like my race was a factor I did not have people calling me big lipped or curly haired and I am sorry you did because it has scarred you in a way that if you could go back in time (the thread) I think you would change that. Obviously our experiences differ vastly :filenails:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_guilt

http://www.theinsanityreport.com/home/index.php/2010/08/13/random-thoughts/white-people-can-use-the-n-word/

So what's the use of you constantly saying "I never heard it" as if it doesn't exist :mellow:

I have no reason to lie.

Yes they are comparable...but any kind of slurs are comparable. 'Fag' will never be on the same level as '******' when it comes to hatred.

I just said you don't strike me as a liar. :mellow:

So clearly i believe you. As for them being on the same level of hatred, if you don't think they are, then good for you. In my opinion they are. we agree to disagree. :rolleyes:

I over it. :coffee:

I just said you don't strike me as a liar. :mellow:

So clearly i believe you. As for them being on the same level of hatred, if you don't think they are, then good for you. In my opinion they are. we agree to disagree. :rolleyes:

I over it. :coffee:

It was geared towards the...

so I'd assume you know what your talking about.

...part :mellow:

If that's the case then why keep it going :mellow:

Bye :filenails:

Yeah, pretty much.

some of you need to learn to respect the right of others to their opinions, I notice this issue here and on the Xone board, because your opinion does not match someone else's opinion you want to squash their right to express it and that is wrong period. So some white guy from Australia says what he thinks about the N word and everyone else who said something don't matter at all? Does that make any sense to you? And of course me being a Black gay man in America what do I know right? and Paul he has made it clear that because of his history and background he cannot approach the topic without emotional bias based on his own experiences. I have no problem calling a spade a spade no pun intended.

Yeah, pretty much.

and to add to what you said before a word alone does not perpetuate a racial divide between White and Black people attitudes, entire belief systems, historical context, and many other events perpetuate that divide, a word is just that a word. Someone said it best, "if the worst thing to happen to you in life is people talked about you and called you names I would say you got off easy."

good for you :filenails:

some of you need to learn to respect the right of others to their opinions, I notice this issue here and on the Xone board, because your opinion does not match someone else's opinion you want to squash their right to express it and that is wrong period. So some white guy from Australia says what he thinks about the N word and everyone else who said something don't matter at all? Does that make any sense to you? And of course me being a Black gay man in America what do I know right? and Paul he has made it clear that because of his history and background he cannot approach the topic without emotional bias based on his own experiences. I have no problem calling a spade a spade no pun intended.

I believe I'm very respectful of others' opinions on here and in my everyday life. I'm not squashing yours or anybody else's right to express anything, I said we can close the thread as a means to accentuate my post (which I stand by). If I were a moderator I could understand you having a problem with it, but I think you've taken what I said too seriously.

If you ask me, I think it's you who has a real problem with opinions which don't mirror your own. At least that's what I'm getting from your replies to Paul and myself. And I don't mean that as a shot at you. Just an observation.

Jbailey....My judgement is probably a lot clearer than yours...yes I've had negative experiences with a few White people, but I am half White, grew up in a White family, raised by a white mother, have white siblings, went to school with almost all White people.

I can assure you that the vast majority of White people really do not suffer from White guilt, in fact a lot think that black people are the ones that need to "get over it". As I said White people aren't thinking about black people for the most part. If they are uncomfortable saying certain things it is to do with a fear of appearing racist. It doesn't mean they aren't.

I don't just have a problem with the word because it hurts peoples feelings, my biggest problem is that it makes black people who insist on using it look stupid, ignorant and self loathing to the majority of the rest of the population. No other group of people would use a word with negative connotations to describe themselves.

And if it's meaning is positive now (which I think is utter crap) then let everyone use it. Just don't get mad when you aren't sure whether you are being called ****** or nigga.

My views are shaped by extremely positive relationships with many fantasic White people and amazing strong black people. Yours seem to be based off your unhealthy relationships with racist White men who view you as a tool for their own gratification

Jbailey....My judgement is probably a lot clearer than yours...yes I've had negative experiences with a few White people, but I am half White, grew up in a White family, raised by a white mother, have white siblings, went to school with almost all White people.

I can assure you that the vast majority of White people really do not suffer from White guilt, in fact a lot think that black people are the ones that need to "get over it". As I said White people aren't thinking about black people for the most part. If they are uncomfortable saying certain things it is to do with a fear of appearing racist. It doesn't mean they aren't.

I don't just have a problem with the word because it hurts peoples feelings, my biggest problem is that it makes black people who insist on using it look stupid, ignorant and self loathing to the majority of the rest of the population. No other group of people would use a word with negative connotations to describe themselves.

And if it's meaning is positive now (which I think is utter crap) then let everyone use it. Just don't get mad when you aren't sure whether you are being called ****** or nigga.

My views are shaped by extremely positive relationships with many fantasic White people and amazing strong black people. Yours seem to be based off your unhealthy relationships with racist White men who view you as a tool for their own gratification

I am not going to engage the issue over and over again. You spoke so did I *dust* you have issues about this word based on your own background and you have stated in several times that post above is full of contradictions, you say it makes folks look stupid that use it, and I say depends on the context and who are these other folks that believe they look stupid other than people like yourself? and please don't go telling me that Blacks have the monopoly on racial slurs because that's not true any number of video's on youtube can be pulled where a white person fights another white person and calls them white trash. And as educated as I am I laugh at the thought you have judgment any better than myself you may have had some experiences that have taught you more with dealing with people but I am far from unintelligent, as for my dating life I think you showed your own stupidity by generalizing it based on one experience as if to say you know my entire dating life and that has been the out come of it all? I don't think so

I believe I'm very respectful of others' opinions on here and in my everyday life. I'm not squashing yours or anybody else's right to express anything, I said we can close the thread as a means to accentuate my post (which I stand by). If I were a moderator I could understand you having a problem with it, but I think you've taken what I said too seriously.

If you ask me, I think it's you who has a real problem with opinions which don't mirror your own. At least that's what I'm getting from your replies to Paul and myself. And I don't mean that as a shot at you. Just an observation.

I never said a thing about either of you not being able to have your opinion I voiced my objections and said why I felt what I felt, I have no issue with either one of you BUT I feel Paul is bias in his opinion based on what he has said in the past, the word does not bother me because I chose not to let it bother me but as I said before I did not have kids talking about me because of this or that, as for White dude from down under i stand by that as well, you do not have the experience with any Blacks where you are from nor are you Black to be able to understand the issue because until you walk in someone's shoes you never will. None of that states either one of you are not entitled to your opinions it simply says my opinion based on what I have read is different. And you doing a two step too one post you say yeah it should be closed because you stated your opinion now you want to back track and say that wasn't meant to be serious in a serious discussion then come back in and say that's not what I meant, well why didn't you say that from jump.

I never said a thing about either of you not being able to have your opinion I voiced my objections and said why I felt what I felt, I have no issue with either one of you BUT I feel Paul is bias in his opinion based on what he has said in the past, the word does not bother me because I chose not to let it bother me but as I said before I did not have kids talking about me because of this or that, as for White dude from down under i stand by that as well, you do not have the experience with any Blacks where you are from nor are you Black to be able to understand the issue because until you walk in someone's shoes you never will. None of that states either one of you are not entitled to your opinions it simply says my

opinion based on what I have read is different. And you doing a two step too one post you say yeah it should be closed because you stated your opinion now you want to back track and say that wasn't meant to be serious in a serious discussion then come back in and say that's not what I meant, well why didn't you say that from jump.

I'm not two-stepping at all. It wasn't meant to be taken that seriously, much like your quip about white people smelling like wet dogs. :cheers:

I am not biased..the bottom line is that you see yourself as inferior to White people, this is shown time and time again, especially in this thread.

If you feel like you are a ****** then so be it!

I think I made it very clear I never thought of my race as a hindrance nor did i have inferiority issues growing up I was raised around both Blacks and Whites and we went to school where race was never an issue I was not teased about my hair texture or lip size since mine are not big anyway however I will say it says more about you than me when you cannot debate a topic without personal attacks. We were discussing the N and F word now it's about me and my dating life that's when I walk away because the other side has lost their reason. When you cannot beat them attack them that always works right? Bye Paul :wave: I think your judgment is far superior now

You are reducing my dislike of the use of the word to the fact that I was at times picked on because I was different. That is not the main reason I have issues with the word. I explained why already. I am guessing that you don't mind being called a ****** because that's what you expect, it's what you are used to. You already said earlier in the thread that you wouldn't mind being called a ******. It doesn't matter whether you are effected by the word or not, it's about having enough self respect to expect more. My white mother raised me to expect more for myself. And I'm mentioning her colour and my racial background to show that even though you were raised around White people, I was raised by one, and in essence my views were shaped by her. This gives me a unique perspective on this issue, an understanding from both sides.

I'm not two-stepping at all. It wasn't meant to be taken that seriously, much like your quip about white people smelling like wet dogs. :cheers:

I bet if you made a joke about black people smelling like baboon ass he wouldn't have thought it funny. That is the hypocrisy on this whole issue....

Archived