ARE ARTISTS TRULY "ARTIST"???

janetDAYZ

What's sad is that Gaga and Bee, the best of this generation, are still watered down versions of the greats before them -_-

There's a difference with Beyonce and Gaga. I think both of them understand that it's not possible to be completely original because, let's be honest, Janet, Mike, and Madonna did it all. EVERYTHING being done today can be traced back to something one of them has already done. Beyonce and Gaga understand that it's about regurgitating and re-presenting your product. Just look at Beyonce with "Single Ladies". She took a 60s video and modernized it. With Gaga, yes she has taken notes from Madonna's handbook, as well as Grace Jones and that other person, and she has taken it to another level. Madonna has never really been as bold and daring with her presentation as Gaga is. So there's definitely a difference.

that is my biggest beef with Beyonce...she just refuses to go there creatively...how many Single Ladies, Upgrade You, and Get Me Bodied (my shit!!!) songs can you release...bitch, we know you a diva...get creative with your shit

She did get creative. :mellow: Did you not listen to I Am...Sasha Fierce? :mellow:

There's a difference with Beyonce and Gaga. I think both of them understand that it's not possible to be completely original because, let's be honest, Janet, Mike, and Madonna did it all. EVERYTHING being done today can be traced back to something one of them has already done. Beyonce and Gaga understand that it's about regurgitating and re-presenting your product. Just look at Beyonce with "Single Ladies". She took a 60s video and modernized it. With Gaga, yes she has taken notes from Madonna's handbook, as well as Grace Jones and that other person, and she has taken it to another level. Madonna has never really been as bold and daring with her presentation as Gaga is. So there's definitely a difference.

Gaga is a lot more than just Madonna, she's Cher, David Bowie, Boy George, etc etc and the list goes on and on. You can trace everything Mike and Madonna did back too, they all had their influences. They were obviously more groundbreaking as pop artists than the pop artists of today, because that ground can only be broken once and that's why today's "greats" will always live in their shadow. Gaga I think is the singular most ingenious pop artist today, she has her flaws and her shortcomings, and a lot of what she does seems very contrived (I'm not making the case that she isn't, because her persona is a construction, but there are moments where you can tell who exactly she's imitating and what exactly she's trying to add to her canon). I forgot where I was going with this... :shifty:

Gaga is a lot more than just Madonna, she's Cher, David Bowie, Boy George, etc etc and the list goes on and on. You can trace everything Mike and Madonna did back too, they all had their influences. They were obviously more groundbreaking as pop artists than the pop artists of today, because that ground can only be broken once and that's why today's "greats" will always live in their shadow. Gaga I think is the singular most ingenious pop artist today, she has her flaws and her shortcomings, and a lot of what she does seems very contrived (I'm not making the case that she isn't, because her persona is a construction, but there are moments where you can tell who exactly she's imitating and what exactly she's trying to add to her canon). I forgot where I was going with this... :shifty:

Yeah those are those other ppl I was thinking of but couldn't think of. :lol: It's quite clear the Untouchables are Mike, Janet, Madonna, and Whitney. I don't put Mariah in those ranks because she was always a trend follower to me rather than a trailblazer. But everyone will always live in those shadows. It's amazing how today's acts have watered down what they've instilled. Nowadays if you can do an 8 count without falling over you're considered a great dancer. Usher was the last of the great dancers. No one has really had "great" choreography. And singing...well just look at Britney and Rihanna. Can't sing for shit but have record contracts, and waters down the importance of vocals in pop music, which is Whitney brought to the table. Today's acts seem lazy and don't have much drive. Like it has been said, there's a reason why Beyonce and Gaga are leading the pack.

Yeah those are those other ppl I was thinking of but couldn't think of. :lol: It's quite clear the Untouchables are Mike, Janet, Madonna, and Whitney. I don't put Mariah in those ranks because she was always a trend follower to me rather than a trailblazer. But everyone will always live in those shadows. It's amazing how today's acts have watered down what they've instilled. Nowadays if you can do an 8 count without falling over you're considered a great dancer. Usher was the last of the great dancers. No one has really had "great" choreography. And singing...well just look at Britney and Rihanna. Can't sing for shit but have record contracts, and waters down the importance of vocals in pop music, which is Whitney brought to the table. Today's acts seem lazy and don't have much drive. Like it has been said, there's a reason why Beyonce and Gaga are leading the pack.

Yes, looking at these awards shows and pop music in general it's like where's the raw talent? I found myself thinking numerous times while watching the AMAs why the fuck are you on that stage if you can't even sing and "performing" is walking around and twirling from time to time? Rihanna couldn't even bust a casual move without looking stiff. Christina at least is a great vocalist but all of her recent performances have left me wanting more, she always seems to be struggling to me. With Beyonce you always know she's going to deliver, the bitch can sing, dance, and she's gorgeous which is a nice topping. She's the number one popstar and for good reason and no one is taking her place. And alongside her is Gaga who also has incredible raw talent and the brains to match.

Yes, looking at these awards shows and pop music in general it's like where's the raw talent? I found myself thinking numerous times while watching the AMAs why the fuck are you on that stage if you can't even sing and "performing" is walking around and twirling from time to time? Rihanna couldn't even bust a casual move without looking stiff. Christina at least is a great vocalist but all of her recent performances have left me wanting more, she always seems to be struggling to me. With Beyonce you always know she's going to deliver, the bitch can sing, dance, and she's gorgeous which is a nice topping. She's the number one popstar and for good reason and no one is taking her place. And alongside her is Gaga who also has incredible raw talent and the brains to match.

I said the same thing. I watch these shows and it's just terrible when you have ppl up there who can't perform. Like I said, you can package an artist, but you can't package talent. And when you try to do that, the artist gets on stage and embarrasses themselves. Consequently stans have no other option but to drag them. -_- There hasn't been any artistry in the pop scene in quite some time. There haven't been many classic albums since the dawn of the new millennium, no classic songs, no groundbreaking videos. But at the same time, every artist is not meant to be successful and be huge. There's a reason why Beyonce, Britney, and Gaga can sell out stadiums, but Kesha, Katy, and Justin aint never doing it.

I said the same thing. I watch these shows and it's just terrible when you have ppl up there who can't perform. Like I said, you can package an artist, but you can't package talent. And when you try to do that, the artist gets on stage and embarrasses themselves. Consequently stans have no other option but to drag them. -_- There hasn't been any artistry in the pop scene in quite some time. There haven't been many classic albums since the dawn of the new millennium, no classic songs, no groundbreaking videos. But at the same time, every artist is not meant to be successful and be huge. There's a reason why Beyonce, Britney, and Gaga can sell out stadiums, but Kesha, Katy, and Justin aint never doing it.

Yep true (about some artists meant to be big and others not). I think Gaga is amazing because she came out with a concept album, she was so sure of who she was, what she wanted to convey, and you never, ever see that. Most artists spend a couple albums finding themselves, but she just unleashed Gaga on the world :wub: And the progression from album to album conceptually is genius as well :wub:

Hail Gagalupe, full of grace, the lord is with thee :blush:

Yep true (about some artists meant to be big and others not). I think Gaga is amazing because she came out with a concept album, she was so sure of who she was, what she wanted to convey, and you never, ever see that. Most artists spend a couple albums finding themselves, but she just unleashed Gaga on the world :wub: And the progression from album to album conceptually is genius as well :wub:

Hail Gagalupe, full of grace, the lord is with thee :blush:

Gaga can come off contrived imo. I don't know why she finds it necessary to wear half of the appliances section as Sears at events that don't call for it like tea parties and what not. She has raw talent, but she hasn't demonstrated it. It's almost as if her props and costumes are wearing her rather than the other way around.

Once again, as I've stated in the past, yes Rihanna more hits than her peers, but if we were to discuss the ways in which she needs to catch up to her peers, we'd be here all day.

Well in a sense her "peers" are Katy Perry and Ke$ha.

B and G are peers, a tier above those girls :D

the whole shade of this thread is being thrown at Rihanna for what I dont know why? if the white girls do it it's ok but the black girl do it something is wrong :wtf: stop hating

first you guys griped about her not dancing she danced last night now you wanna talk

Britney dont even sing live and you guys give her a pass you people are so bias it kills me

Katy Perry was horrible last night no one is saying anything about that

I can make a list of white Bitches

that sound worst than Rihanna and you guys dont talk about that

stop checking her thread and listening to her music then she will go away until then grip in this thread

this thread is Bull Shit

BullShit.jpg

• Upvote 1

I'm not even a "vocalist gay," it always annoys me when people judge singers based PURELY on the strength of their voices. But I completely agree with you. It is what I was thinking earlier today, in fact--everyone sounded like shit last night. Rihanna was very entertaining and good by her standards, but why do I have to qualify that compliment? Shouldn't she just sound good all the time? Why is Taylor Swift's voice so painfully thin? You think Janet's voice is thin, lmfao she has nothing on Tay-Tay. And at least Janet can sing on-key. That was the biggest disappointment of the show. Even the better voices were pitchy and grating. Ugh.

You wanna know what really grinds my gears?!?! :excited::coffee: